Cool, but useless guns...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Still, I have to share this one.

Bond Arms, Texas Defender .357mag

[​IMG]

I pulled the goofy trigger guard.

[​IMG]

Trigger is actually not bad, it has useful accuracy too.

I took it to the range today, along with a few other Derringer/spur triggered guns....

High Standard D100 .22lr

[​IMG]

..and NAA Mini .22mag

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(more)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I don't have the time to go into real detail (will follow thru tomorrow), but they all did their thing pretty well, even out to 45ft.

I used Win 145gr Silvertips .357mag, Mini Mags in .22lr and Maxi Mag 30gr HP's in the .22mag.

[​IMG]

The Bond with the Silvertips was well centered even out past 15yrds, up and down was maybe 4-5" at 21ft between barrels.

Recoil is not bad, but it booms pretty good.:supergrin:

This was 15 at 21ft, using center of bull hold.

[​IMG]

More later.:wavey:

3. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

I dont have one, but I put the Desert Eagle in that group. Cool factor is def there...but if I want a large magnum round, I will take a revolver.

4. I respectfully suggest that the Hi-Standard series of derringers (the D-100 and 101 / .22 lr and .22 mag versions) were not useless but rather well thought out handguns. I own both models. Nothing I'd want to bring to a gunfight, but for those days when you don't want to carry a "real" gun, they are far better than angry words.

This is my "carry" D-101. The ductape is to keep debris out of a small hole in the grip (normally covered by the plastic grip panels). Makes for a very compact handgun.
    [​IMG]

This is the gun in it's pocket holster. It's invisible when worn.
    [​IMG]

My two other Hi-Standard derringers. Only fired on occasion.
    [​IMG]

#4 ChiefWPD, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  5. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Had an NAA .22 Mag. Dangerous little gun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. The D100 actually is one of the few Derringers I've seen that actually holds POI pretty close to aim out to pretty good distances- I'll show that when I finish the pics tomorrow.
    I like the DA too.

7. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

I'd be willing to bet that screwball looking trigger guard has something to do with the drop test necessary for sales to CA.:dunno:.......Anyway, it probably has something to do with regulations or legal restrictions, rather than purchasers actually wanting the darn thing! :steamed:

These guns aren't totally useless, but there are far better choices for a defensive gun.

ooc

My DA, in 38spl:
    [​IMG]

#7 hogship, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  8. The Taurus Judge always came off as a novelty gun. :whistling:

9. Cool pics, Berto :cool:

10. I have a friend who is selling his Bond Arms Texas Defender .357mag for $350. Is that a good price? Should I buy it and run? lol. Only difference is the grip is a silver and black color.

11. I'd put this in the cool but useless category... Spikes tactical 9mm AR "pistol"
    [​IMG]

12. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

That .357 over/under must be utterly brutal with full power ammo.

13. I'm a sucker for cool but useless. I own a bond .45 / .410 snake slayer & a desert eagle .50.

14. My little NAA .22lr fits nicely in the watch/Zippo pocket on a pair of jeans. It's like a back-up to the back-up. :tongueout:

[​IMG]I actually want to get their newest model called the "Sidewinder" with flip out cylinder.

[​IMG]

http://northamericanarms.com/sidewinder

#14 Nakanokalronin, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil
    Platinum Member

My "cool but useless" gun:

[​IMG]

16. I wouldn't exactly call my Desert Eagle useless. I have a 6" .44 barrel for target/range fun and a 10" .50AE barrel with a 4X Leupold scope that I have taken numerous deer with. I love it. Maybe not the most practical gun, but certainly not useless. They seem to get a lot of hate, but people at the range often stop what they are doing and come over to talk and/or try it out whenever I bring it along. It's quite accurate, too. I have the .50 zeroed at 100 yards and keep groups within 5 inches from a bench rest at that distance.

17. I guess 'useless' comes off harsh.....I will use my useless guns, it's just an acknowledgement that they may not be as practical as most others.

I have a friend who is selling his Bond Arms Texas Defender .357mag for $350. Is that a good price? Should I buy it and run? lol. Only difference is the grip is a silver and black color

That's maybe a fair buy, mine was just over $400 new. If you want the gun, it's probably worth it...they aren't going to be guns you typically find with much, if any real use or mileage.
    If you're just wanting to try the thing for ****s and giggles, I'd feel uncomfortable spending over $300.

That .357 over/under must be utterly brutal with full power ammo.

I was surprised how mild it was, really.
    It weighs 20oz, about the same as a steel J frame...so it's not terrible.

18. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Only useless gun is one that won't fire, or is empty.

Even then, some make a cool club....

19. BuckyP

Lifetime Member

Always though the COP would fall into this category, but they look pretty cool.

20. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

These are my feelings on the subject as well!! :wavey: