close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cookeville, TN: Gun at 'Batman' causes stir

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by RussP, Jul 31, 2012.

1. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    http://www.herald-citizen.com/view/...at--Batman--causes-stir?instance=most_popular

Guy was legally carrying. Police are called by a theater worker.

Police arrive, go into the room showing Batman film searching for the guy.

Theater worker stops the film, turns up the lights.

When lights come up, the police Sgt tells everyone there is no threat, no known danger, and he asks, "Who in here has a gun carry permit?"

Three guys stand up.

"Who has their weapon on them?" Same three guys stand. Only one of the three is OCing.

The Sgt tells them that the theater policy is no firearms and he asks them to take them back to their vehicles. They do and come back. No one in the theater panicked. Everyone was quiet and calm.

There's a little more to the story, but that's the good part.

:cool:

2. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Jul 23, 2004
    Israel
    Wasn't there, but my inclination would have been not to come back.

3. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    open carry would have...never mind...

4. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Seems like the situation was handled pretty well by the police.

5. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
  6. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    It seems this was handled well without causing any panic, those present also learned that all three were legal.

I agree. There is no way that (1) I’m announcing to the world there is an unattended handgun in the vehicle, even if it is in the car-safe and (2) that I’m letting them keep my money if the sign was not displayed where I could see it before I bought the ticket.

It’s ok that they don’t want armed people in their place, just make sure they know about it before they spend their money. Put it on the website and in a predominant place by the entrance, in the case of theaters where you buy ticket at a window outside, also on the window where tickets are sold.

7. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
    This is BS. Why are the cops enforcing a theater policy? Does this mean police should be enforcing closed shoe requirements at the amusement park or county fair? This is management's problem, not law enforcement's.

This. In fact, I'd be asking for a refund even if I wasn't carrying because they interrupted the film for no good reason other than their stupid sign was too small and their management too inept to handle it before the movie started. Why did the ticket person sell a ticket to the OC guy and why did the ticket taker take it and point him to his theater? :shakehead:

8. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Open carrying in a theater less than two weeks after the Aurora shooting?

He knew what he was doing, and what he wanted, and he got it.

9. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    A truly profound observation! :thumbsup:

(If we're not careful, someday, that'll be the epitaph on the tombstone!) ;)

10. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    "The Sgt tells them that the theater policy is no firearms and he asks them to take them back to their vehicles. They do and come back. No one in the theater panicked. Everyone was quiet and calm." Good. The property owner has every right to set theater policy. Comply or leave. No excuse to do otherwise. Entire matter well handled.

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    In the movie and in the bigger picture, that is to be expected by everyone but the OC activists. I really wouldmn't be surprised if some of them turned out to be anti-gunners intentionally trying to stir up anti-gun opinion. I mean, considering the Colorado shooting, at the same movie, and being in a state where anybody who can OC can CC - how stupid did this guy have to be?

You are correct. I'm just surprised he didn't vieotape it and put it on youtube.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  12. jeanderson

jeanderson Toga!... Toga! Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ohio
    Was this a Cinemark theater, or another theater with a no gun policy? I guess once all theaters become gun-free zones, we'll all be safe.

13. billkill

billkill

Jan 28, 2008
    East TN
    Agreed
    ETA OC guy was stupid...there is a time and place...that wasn't it

14. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    The name is in the third, maybe the fourth (sorry, can't remember which) paragraph of the linked news story.

15. tomcon

tomcon

Aug 18, 2005
    Indiana
    Carmike Highland Cinemas

Guess I will have to look closer the next time I get out to the local Carmike theater. If it is posted passed the ticket booth I will see one last movie in their theater. I always cc in these circumstances.

16. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Thanks, tomcon!

17. Southswede

Southswede

Sep 29, 2005
    Wonder who/whom would be held liable if the vehicle were to be broken into and harm caused by the stolen and unsecured forearm........

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    The thief would be liable, unless your state passes some special statute on the subject. In ordinary tort liability, if there isn't a state law against leaving the gun in the car, the thief is a superseding cause of any harm he causes, so the gun owner is not liable.

19. tomcon

tomcon

Aug 18, 2005
    Indiana
    Your welcome RussP.

After thinking about if this situation had happened to me here in Indiana and if the sequence of events is accurate, I don't think I would have stood up.

It appears that carrying in a theater is legal in Tennessee. If the sign was that hard to find and the Officer did not state at the beginning that he was enforcing the "No Guns" policy of the theater.

Did he actually have legal authority to ask who was licensed or carrying a gun?