Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Converting to a SBR

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by ohiofinance, Mar 25, 2010.

  1. ohiofinance


    Mar 5, 2008
    I am trying to determine if it makes sense to convert an M&P 15T to a SBR. I completely understand the NFA side of the equation and realize I need to file a Form 1. My question is what actually needs to be done to the rifle, new barrel and gas block? I realize that I will need to have the lower marked per BATF regulations as well. I also know I could simply buy a new upper. I am trying to determine if the conversion is less expensive but would still yield good results. Thanks in advance.
  2. Zak Smith

    Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

    Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    I recommend buying a complete upper - or at least an upper minus the BCG - from a vendor known for reliable SBRs. SBRs are a little more tricky to make work reliably than 16 or 20".

    To answer your question, though, besides the barrel and gas tube, you might need the following depending on what you have now and what you're putting together: new handguards/fore-end, new gas block/FSB.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010