Glock Talk banner

Converting an old Wingmaster.

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MajorD 
#1 ·
I have an old Wingmaster that my father gave to me. He bought it new somewhere around 1990. He says ithas only had a couple of boxes of field loads through it because he had an old A5 that he liked better.
Anyway, it has a 28" barrel on it and I want to find an 18 or 18.5" barrel for it. Looked on aippi's site but couldn't find one. I know i can get a mossberg 18.5" barrel at my LGS but, well its ugly.
#2, the only other option I would like to add to it is a light. I have an extra G2 led lying around, but can't find a way to mount it without adding a magazine extension. I do not want a sure fire forend. We had them at work and I like them fine, but I want to keep this one as stock as possible, it will still be used for hunting purposes. Also, by the time I bought a blued short barrel and a sure fire forend, I could just buy a 870 express.
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Try Midway for a blued barrel and all of the typical and. Common gunpart vendor sights. IIRC, Midway has the most in stock at one time.

Mapul would seem to be your best bet given your concerns. You also might be able to buy a plastic Youth forend from Remington (it has the right pattern molding into it to keep the. Factory look) and then buy a short piece of pic rail and mount it after you've dried the holes.
There aren't the only options but they would work.

#3 ·
An 870 made in 1990 is not old.
That would make me ancient.
You didn't mention it but I will assume that the gun is Gloss Blue and not matte since matte barrels are easy to find for 870's.
Have you Googled it? You can usually find anything on line these days.
Another option at least for me would be to cut the 28" barrel to the size you want, or at least to a rib close to what you want and for sure you can replace the 28" barrel in Gloss Blue any time.
Easy to do if you are handy with tools and after cleaning the edge (inside and out) you can use some of the good quality cold bluing to get the edge blue again.
They have some good sights for vent ribs also so it would work if you really cannot find a barrel.

#5 ·
I would just get a spare express with a magpul for end add a light and call it good. That would keep you under 400 bucks likely. Lots of places have spare riot or deer barrels you can throw on if you want to mod your current gun but I would leave it as is.
870's are so good and so cheap I am thinking about getting another even though I only use my current one about 8 times a year!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.