close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Convert SKS to drop mag?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Pier23, Apr 25, 2012.

1. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Jul 14, 2005
    With Amber Lamps
    When the Chinese SKS was really cheap, $60 - $70, It started becoming popular to convert them for detachable magazines. In 1993, the ATF made a rule that the ATF has to be notified of any firearm converted from fixed to detachable magazine. This has nothing to do with the 1994 AWB. The rule does not ban the conversions, but the ATF might deny permission to perform the conversions. But the rule doesn't ban the conversions. It looks like more of a way to keep up with detachable magazine semi auto rifles, for future regulations, such as the 1994 AWB. Especially if companies bought hundreds or thousands of $60 SKS rifles and converted them. The rule itself does not ban the conversions and simply requires that ATF be notified of them.

2. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Jan 31, 2008
    STEP AWAY FROM THE RUSSIAN

If you want to start hacking up an SKS, find an old Yugo. Aside from the legal issues you will do nothing but destroy the value and make it less reliable. Russians in original condition are a nice collectors piece, modified you'd be lucky to get 60% of the current value.

Saigas are great candidates for mods.

3. CTfam

CTfam DREAM BIG.

Feb 19, 2006
    Paradise
    I would dump that SKS to fund an AK or more mags and ammo. Unless you are a collector and want to pull it out of the safe every once in a while for fun... It is a poor choice for a fighting rifle. Just my opinion... 10 round stripper clips? No thanks.

4. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Hmmm...dunno...pm me details on the AKM.

Don

5. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Well, Im a leave stock kinda guy...I thought the replaceable mag conversion was more "drop-in" than it really is.

6. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012

Of course it's a wonderful Country where we can, in the free States, own what pleases us and I am glad i can own the mags i want for the guns I own, but in all of my research I am having a hard time finding an example of an individual citizen either surviving because their rifle held more than ten rounds or dying because it didn't hold more than ten. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with preparing for what and individual is concerned about, but, on the other hand, people who might choose a lesser capacity rifle don't really have any actual examples that indicate they have made an incorrect choice.

7. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Ok, so, clearly I know nothing about SKSs...what is FMV for a 1953 unaltered Russian SKS? I think orig purchase price was in the $115 area, and I think that included 20 rounds of ammo...

Where are the Saigas comimg from?

Do the SKSs fall into the same general preference patterns of AKs: Russia, China, Romania then everywhere else...assuming I have the AK order correct...???

A whole world is opening for me. This is fun!

8. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Russians are pushing $500, I wouldn't pay that but some people will. They will be the highest priced of the common SKSs. A North Korean will be well into the thousands but there's only a handful in the US.

As a rule, the Norincos and Yugos are the most common and have the least collector value, Romanians are the rarest of the commonly available, Albanians are a little bit of an odd ball. Russians are considered the best built and there's no reason they can't be a shooter but should be treated better than a truck gun.

Saigas are a Russian made AK action and available in a variety of calibers all over the 'net and maybe at your local friendly firearms dealer. They have no collector value and endless available mods. I should probably get one some day.

9. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Thanks, Wave...nice rundown. i appreciate it.

10. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    I have an old Russian, any idea of their worth? All matching serial numbers.

Posted from my iPhone

11. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    $500? Seriously? Wow... I wish I could get find someone to bite on that price. I tried selling my 1952 Russian- excellent condition- for $400 and had interest but no takers.

Posted from my iPhone

12. Milhouse58421

Milhouse58421

Feb 7, 2012
    North of You
    My LGS HAD a Russian SKS sitting for a looonnnngggg time at $325. I went in the other day to put $$ down on it to hold it, and it was gone.......tears in my eyes.

Moral: Snooze, you lose......

13. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Sep 3, 2011
    Kansas
    I wish I could sell mine. They are fun plinking rifles.

Posted from my iPhone

14. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

Oct 20, 2009
    Eastern NC
    :dunno:

15. Duct Tape

Duct Tape

Feb 27, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Don't hurt the Russian!

16. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    So the conversion kit I saw on the web to convert the SKS to handle my Glock 9mm mags and ammo would not be a good idea? <ducking>

17. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    Look for a norinco sks that was desiged to take AK mags... The problem with modifying anything- is reliabllity. I wouldnt put a duckbill mag on anything.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  18. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Hooah, Hooah.

Apr 10, 2009
    The Sunshine State
    Unfortunately, I was only joking. :crying: I just really want an SKS.

19. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Feb 26, 2012
    <gggg> Steak yesterday, steak tomorrow, never steak today...

20. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Hooah, Hooah.

Apr 10, 2009
    The Sunshine State
    Free Beer! (Tomorrow):tongueout:

Last edited: May 2, 2012