close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Contract vs. pay as you go cell phone plans.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ghostman1960, Sep 22, 2012.

1. ghostman1960

ghostman1960 Static Nomad

I just got out of my AT&T contract and decided to try the pay as you go route. I should have done it years ago. I went with Net10 and for 50 bucks a month I get unlimited calls, texts and 4G data. They even ported my phone number.Try to get that pricing with a contract on any of the major carriers. To me its a no brainer.

2. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

I'm thinking about switching to Virgin Mobil since they have the iPhone now once my contract runs out.

I used straight talk for a few months and it was hands down the best cell phone service I ever got. Rarely a dropped call and a signal eerie here.

3. captainstormy

captainstormy

Most of the guys at work have gone to prepaid service and none of them have really had any problems or complaints. My contract with sprint is up soone. I've already bought a galaxy nexus and I'm porting the number over to T-Mobile pre paid the day after the contract is up.

4. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Sounds like you want unlimited minutes. I don't like talking on the phone, but with kids, the moms (divorced) want phone contact at all times. So I've got a Tracfone for in my car (under seven bucks a month) and google voice for all other times (I'm near a computer at home and at work). Google voice is free.

Problem solved, eighty bucks per year. I don't use the cell phone (Tracfone) that much, but it is there if I need it. I can text, talk, whatever. Google voice transcribes my calls, forwards them wherever I want. Sends me the message and transcript to my inbox via email. Heck, I even got to choose my area code. I could pretend to live in NY or wherever.

5. Beeman

Beeman NRA MEMBER

I've got Tracfone, and have no problems getting a signal. With Verizon, Sprint and other companies it was a crapshoot gettin a signal where I live. I don't use it that much so it works for me.

6. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I think Tracfone uses AT&T cell towers. I can get it in my area where Sprint is non-existent. Cost for Tracfone pay per minute is pretty high if you use it much so Tracfone versus a pay per month $50 phone depends on your usage. Tracfone has pretty good rates for international service and you can set up a one touch speed dial for frequently called international numbers. Of course, you can get international calling cards to use with the contract or pay-per-month plans.

Personally I like H2O which uses same cell towers as ATT/Tracfone, has $20 a month international call credit, and gives you adequate if minimal internet browsing plus free text and picture messaging all for $50 a month.

7. Beeman

Beeman NRA MEMBER

czsmithGT, I mostly use it in case of an emergency. I drive 25 miles to work in farm country. I also work nights so being able to call family if I have a breakdown on the road at night is the main reason I have one. It cost me $30 dollars for 90 days which isn't bad since I don't use it that much.

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

I thought about going pay as you go but I am worried about how good the service will be:nailbiting:

9. Random

Random AtticRat

Been using Virgin Mobile for 1o years. No problems.

10. MadMonkey

MadMonkey Spershul Furces

*bleep* contracts. I went to Virgin Mobile and haven't looked back.

11. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Okie it's the exact same service you get with contracts

12. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

I'm glad I'm such a jerk that no one wants to talk to me, I get 300m, UL text and data from Virgin Mobile for $35 a month. If I wanted an I-phone it would be $30. I'd rather pay up front for my phone than a plan. I used to have Net 10 and had 5000+ minutes saved up but I wanted a smart phone and they weren't offering much when I switched. Went to Best Buy to buy the phone and they took care of porting the number and getting everythig setup. Sprint network isn't as good as whatever it was Net 10 had but still decent and I love having a GPS, navigation and being able to check the news etc whenever I want.

13. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have Straight Talk $30.00 plan and love it. Only downside to no contract is you have to pay full price for your phone up front. It is not subsidized into your plan payment like the contract carriers.

/

14. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

I was looking at the Virgin Mobile site at some of the phone reviews. This is probably the route I would go if I ever got a smart phone. My thing is reliability and battery life but very few score high in both across the reviews.

15. ThatGuyDave

ThatGuyDave

I would go the prepaid route if I hadn't been with Verizon nearly as long as I have. I was grandfathered in with Unlimited everything for a very low price. Also I never told them I stopped working for Home Depot years ago so I still get my 25% off which makes it a very close price to Virgin Mobile. YMMV

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

16. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

I switched from AT&T contract to GoPhone about a year ago. Pay $25 every three months.

Pay for the 200 text message a month plan ($4.99) since Google Voice does not work with 6 digit numbers and for certain people to have a direct text message line to me as opposed to when I am connected to wireless.

17. boozer

boozer

I use less than 60 min. a month, 50 texts, so TracFone works for me. 90 day card for $20.

18. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

Straight Talk here...

Even with having to pay full price for the phone up front, it is still way cheaper to go. FWIW, I have had zero problems with Straight Talk. I'll never go the contract route again.

19. berto62

berto62

What I like about Straight talk is that you don't have to buy a phone from them, any GSM phone will work on their system you just need to buy their Simm Card to put in your phone

20. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

My wife has Virgin Mobil (bought it a Radio Shack). Around $20 bucks every 3 months. Voice only. It's her "emergency phone." Works great when we have used it (MA to CA).