close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Considering what has happened in Fukushima

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gwalchmai, Mar 14, 2011.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Can we now say that nuclear power plants are inherently safe?

We are looking at the very real possibility of three containment breaches, something that we proponents of nuclear power have said could not happen. It's true that the earthquake which caused these breaches almost never happens, but we can recover from an earthquake in 50 - 100 years without doing anything. That is not true for a meltdown. Those effects will be with us for generations.

So, what do I tell those people who ask me "Didn't you say this wouldn't happen?"

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. a_tack

a_tack

Apr 6, 2008
    Kentucky
    Well, we're talking about 3 reactors that have been in place since the early 70's. I think technology on nuclear power has developed alot over the past 40 years.

3. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    Personally I think we are fine. Their reactors would have been fine with just the earthquake. It was the Tsunami that knocked out the backup generators and really made a mess. That combined with the fact that the reactor is 40 years old, and doesn't sound like it is up to the specs of the current reactors. I think we have beefier containment areas as well.

4. coastal4974

coastal4974

Nov 2, 2009
    Considering it has the safest record of all other fuel sources, I would say so.

5. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Jul 6, 2005
    Florida
    You would have to be a complete imbecile to think that the failure of a power plant due to a rare and catastrophic natural event is somehow a legitimate reason to write off nuclear energy.

6. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Uh yeah.

Leasons are to be learned here to make them safer......not to do away with technology.

7. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Cool with nuclear power. The good folks in Japan will sort this out. Record of nuclear power generation is excellent in France, etc. U.S. needs to do more nuclear power... lots more. Let the arabs drink their oil.

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    It's just a question, Jon, and if you feel that it threatens any of your deeply held beliefs you don't need to respond further.

Thanks.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    We could build a new coal plant every day like the Chinese are doing.

10. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    What's the death toll from the nuclear power plant damage?

And if we add up ALL the people who have died from radiation exposure from both the Three Mile Island accident AND all of the Japanese plants during this event, you will find that more people were killed by elephants in Tennessee in the last 4 months. (no, seriously...I didn't just make that up)

11. carguy2244

carguy2244

Jan 13, 2009
    Burning coal and oil seemed innocent enough 100 years ago. Today, climate change. Today's reliable, safe nuclear power may be viewed differently, when future generations will have no safe way to store it, and our great great grandchildren are born with both eyes on the same side of their faces.
    We have the technology to harness wind and the sun for electricity - we're just too caught up in instant gratification.

Nuclear power is just as safe as fossil fuel power - or just as dangerous.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    Yes. On balance the risk is worth taking.

But some will ask why we're still operating 40 year old designs and why aren't all nuke plants upgraded to withstand unforeseeable events. How much are we willing to pay per kWH in terms of dollars and in terms of risk?

13. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    Sorry, but to say that "it almost never happens" seems pretty far from the mark. How many years has it been since the first nuclear reactor went online? Now, how many accidents and catastrophies have happened in that relatively short time span??? Hasnt anyone ever seen all of the birth defects and high cancer rates as a direct result of Chernobyl?

14. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    Just subbed in a few words to see if it changes your thinking at all...

15. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I heard the silent "so far" in your statement. ;)

As of last week how many people would have guaranteed that the Fukushima reactors were quake proof?

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    No, it doesn't change my thinking.

17. just a shooter

just a shooter

Feb 7, 2007

because they are still viable and don't wear out.

what unforeseeable events do you suggest? a direct hit from a 1000lb meteor?

a nuclear bomb strike?

should we make them 1 mile thick in concrete and steel 1000 miles from any human habitation?:rofl:

perhaps build a man made island in the middle of the pacific and put them there...

18. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    A tsunami.

Maybe. Again, how much is electricity worth, and how much is safety worth?

19. Never say never and never say always.

Safety is a relative term. Relative means arbitrary values are placed on elements of the equation. I say arbitrary values because everyone has different values. One person may say a failure every 10 years is acceptable, another person may say a failure in unacceptable ever.

20. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

Dec 5, 2007
    Mount Eden, KY
    We should build more nuclear plants here in the US.... But put them in Cali! :supergrin: