close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Considering ditching Gen3 Glocks for Gen4 or RTF2

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Landmonster, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Landmonster

Landmonster
    Expand Collapse

Hi All.

I currently own some gen3 Glocks, and I'm essentially happy with them except for their grips.

My problems:
    1) The G22/17 frame seems to fit my hand worse than the G19/23. I believe the finger grooves are aligned differently, or something on those, but the grip never feels as secure.

2) All the gen3 Glocks need more grip texturing. I'm opposed to butchering my frame with any kind of melting/cutting/etc, and I don't want to go the "ghetto" route of gluing on skateboard tape.

As a solution, I'd like to look into getting some Gen4 Glocks, or RTF2s.

Now, I have held a friend's G22 RTF2, and it seemed MUCH easier to grip. I've also held new G22 Gen4s, and they also much easier to grip. So I think the primary problem with my gen3 G22 is that grip simply isn't rough enough.

Questions:

1) Can any RTF2 gen3 Glocks still be found new? (I'm in the DFW area, if that matters)

2) What models do the RTF Glocks come in?

3) Are the gen4 Glocks reliable yet? I've heard lots of past horror stories, but I haven't been keeping abreast of current issues.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. elijah58

elijah58
    Expand Collapse

The RTF2's are still available, and you can find them on the classifieds here every so often. I know they were made in several models including the G17, G19, G22 and G23. Not sure how many others were made but I love the grip feel on mine.
    Eli

3. jay1975

jay1975
    Expand Collapse
    Ultra Master

My Gen 4 G17 is fine and the smaller grips with the new texture is awesome. The thing you need to remember about those that complain: A dissatisfied customer will tell 10 people about it, while a satisfied customer tells one (Marketing 101).

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Landmonster

Landmonster
    Expand Collapse

Where can I find them new? And was that the main RTF model that was made, or were there others more predominant ones?

5. elijah58

elijah58
    Expand Collapse

The RTF2 models with the crescent serations (gills) are not made anymore, you will have to find a used one or a shop with a lot of Glocks stored and they may still have one. The availability of the RTF2/gills models are available in order according to which ones are most common.

1st G22 RTF2
    2nd G23 RTF2
    3rd G19 RTF2
    4th G17 RTF2
    5th and most rare, G23C RTF2.

The above rating is not fact and is based on my own experience of trying to locate these RTF2 models, still looking for the elusive G23C RTF2 but its pretty hard to find.

I know there are guys on here that have the G23C RTF2, and all I can say is I am envious.
    Eli

6. Landmonster

Landmonster
    Expand Collapse

What about the RTF"1"? Did that exist?

And are there any RTF models still being manufactured and sold new? Or has Glock gone completely to Gen4?

7. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

Before you sell your guns and spend a bunch of money, try decal grip. Just get one set and if you don't like it you aren't out much. Or you might like it a lot. I use the rubber texture not the sand personally.

http://www.decalgrip.com/

8. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

I would be cautious about selling Glocks that are functioning fine to get new Glocks. I believe that the vast majority of new Glocks are fine. But objective analysis of the situation suggests to me that that is not 100%.

9. webb3201

webb3201
    Expand Collapse

I just bought a new G17 RTF2 from Buds online last week to match my RTF2 G19. I love these models and prefer them to my Gen 4s.

10. conpro

conpro
    Expand Collapse

I wouldnt ditch the gen3 they are the best one made.

11. INEEDMILK

INEEDMILK
    Expand Collapse

I'd say the 22 is most common, and then from there, 17, 23, 19.

Obviously the C models and 31, 32, 33 and harder to find.

There was a limited run recently on RTF2 models that DO NOT have the fish gills (that doesn't seem to matter to you though).

You can still find them occasionally on gun forums/websites but sometimes they are heavily used and asking quite a high price.

I just paid $640 for a NIB 19 RTF2 with gills about 2 months ago, so they are out there if you have patience.

Also the RTF"1" was simply the Gen3.

12. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

The Gen 4 texture is ok. I mean it's better than the standard Gen 3, but not by much. I prefer it due to the smaller diameter (no backstrap) to the standard Gen 3.

The RTF2 is my favorite. As mentioned they are still out there and Glock did also release a batch of new runs in G17 and G21SF (straight serrations). The 21SF appears to be harder to find at the moment. I've seen some people post that they have found new old stock at their LGS (Gilled versions)...but it is not the norm. Your best bet is to keep an eye out on local guntrader boards or the classifieds.

This pic is for Eli :rofl:

[​IMG]

#12 kodiakpb, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  13. elijah58

elijah58
    Expand Collapse

I knew someone was gonna do that:crying: but hopefully I will find one soon, I don't think I have even seen one on the classifieds here. But you never know there may be one there tomorrow:supergrin: when you get ready to sell it hit me up, I'll be waiting :wow:

Don't you hate it when you have something that someone else wants really bad, and you feel like you should give it to them..... Do you ever feel that way?:cool:

14. kodiakpb

kodiakpb
    Expand Collapse

:rofl: no not at all, even if I did pick it up for $450 with copper grease :dunno: :rofl:

If its any consolation I am envious of your collection :cool:

15. Glock Junkie

Glock Junkie
    Expand Collapse

16. DannyB

DannyB
    Expand Collapse

No way would I sell good reliable Gen 3's to buy the 4.

17. AustinTx

AustinTx
    Expand Collapse

Doesn't someone make a rubber slip-on grip for the Glock? I think I've seen a sort of rubber girdle that just slips on.

18. elijah58

elijah58
    Expand Collapse

:supergrin: well I played every card I had, but it didn't work:crying: I could always convert my 23RTF2G to a C model, I took a G22RTF2G and added the ports to the slide and put a .357 ported barrel in it. Now I have a G31CRTF2G probably not many of those around.
    Eli

19. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

The Gen 2/Gen 3 textured frames are the "RTF1." If these are guns that you like, I'd just send them of to Cold Bore Customs or Bowie Tactical. I know you're opposed to that, but the work done by both is definitely professional looking.

20. Firefightermdc

Firefightermdc
    Expand Collapse

I would gladly trade my new g17 for s gilled rtf2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2