close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Considering a weapon mounted light. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by KiloBravo, May 22, 2011.

1. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Let me preface this by saying I carry a standard surefire G2 with me everywhere I go. I will continue to do so regardless of what I decide to do next.

I have been reading a lot of reviews and doing a good bit of research on the streamlight TLR-1 and have determined that is the light I will buy if I go this route. This will be for a new rtf2 G17. It is my new carry gun from now on.

Anybody heard of any significant reliability issues with lights on the 9mm glocks? I realize every gun is different, but that seems to be more of an issue with the .40 cal glocks. I have checked on a holster from Bladetech to carry the new setup. But it states it is for a glock with a surefire x300. Does anybody know if it would work with this set up?

Please keep the comments about what and how I want to carry to yourself. I am accustomed to carrying a full sized steel frame 1911 so weight and bulk do not bother me in the least.

Thanks for any help in advance. :wavey:

2. dukeguy

dukeguy

Jul 15, 2010
    I have a TLR-3 mounted on my G19, as well as a Polytac on my Rem 870. Both Streamlight products have been very reliable. I would also recommend Crown Holsters, if you're looking for a kydex holster. Customer service is exceptional, the quality is very good and the price is reasonable.

http://www.crownholsters.com/store/

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Lifetime Newb

Awesome! I spoke to Chris from Crown Holsters earlier this evening. He is a super nice guy. I will be placing my order tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

4. pisc1024

pisc1024 AASG

Oct 9, 2005
    Hey,
    That’s the set up I run with my 17 and I have had no issues with it. I've probably put about 500 rounds through the gun with the light attached.

5. Genin

Genin Designated Left

Oct 25, 2010
    Bloomsburg PA
    My TLR-1 has seen about 1k rounds through it on 2 different G19s and it has been flawless. It also served on my 12 gauge for a while so I'd say it's a very robust light.

6. Insight M6X LED light laser on my G29SF. Surefire X300 on my G30. Surefire LED fore end light on my 870. No issues at all.

7. tk_it_ez

tk_it_ez

Feb 27, 2011
    I was planning on buying a tac light/laser combo until I had a chance to talk with 2) ex LEOs behind the gun counter at Cabelas.

80% of their gun area employees are ex LEO and have years of experience ... at my local store anyway.

Both of them made me think twice about having a tac light on a handgun though and that conversation really sticks in my mind.
    Whoa.....when I put myself in that position I agree 100%.

They were also discussing several other advantages of carrying a small really bright light like a Surefire separate from your weapon.

Such as:
    So I think I'm forgoing the taclight except.....the Streamlight Model TLR-2S
    has a strobe configuration that I think would do nicely in disorienting an opponent:
    http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=179

Surefire's equivalent X400 model does not offer the strobe mode, and I think they are waaaay overpriced.

I have little personal experience in the combo on a handgun, but since I'm crippled I'll use any advantage I can get, and a laser on my gun is close to being a necessity.

I am a green laser proponent, but have heard they don't function well in cold weather and use a LOT more power to operate.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    You can lay that light on the floor, roll it and sweep a room without making you the target.

I'd love to hear from a pro on whether or not that is a recommended technique. Sounds pretty mall ninja to me. For example, wouldn't you be a target while you turn the light on, lay it on the floor, and roll it? Wouldn't it also be a disadvantage to not have the light anymore? Unless you want to expose yourself more while you retrieve it. etc. etc. etc. Why am I even discussing this?!!?

Each light type has advantages and disadvantages. Read this:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob128.html

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  9. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I think I know why they are EX LEO's...

10. This same way of thinking makes its way around GT about every 4 months or so. I will say the same as was said the last time it went around "stupid thinking." Just because you have a weapon mounted light does NOT mean it has to be turned on. There is a good reason why current LE and military use these daily. I am not sure what kind of mall ninjas told you otherwise.

11. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    So now your holding a light in another hand and that is going to prevent the bad guy from shooting at the light and hitting you? Whoa...The light is not under the barrel but a few inches to the left or right, so now I'm safe? Does it really matter?

[​IMG]

Stobes can also distracting to not only the Badguy, but to the shooter if you are not careful. I have a TLR3 on my gun, basically so I will always have a light, in case I cannot find Fenix flashlight. Its better to have a BRIGHT flashlight with a strobe function only because handgun mounted lights are not that strong yet. my TLR-3 is 85 lums and great for ID'ing your target, and to find a badguy hiding in a dark corner, but having +200 lums flashlight makes it difficult for a bad guy to even look directly at you.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011