close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Considering a second Glock so I can enter more classes at GSSF.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by lbm, Nov 7, 2006.

1. lbm

lbm

I have a G17 and I'm starting to think about getting a second Glock.

My shooting is target shooting at both indoor and outdoor ranges at distances out to 25 yards. I have shot in one GSSF event, so far, and while I really enjoyed it, my performance was terrible; way too nervous and never shot outside at 25 yards. My plan is to shoot in three events next year and I want to enter more than one class. I shoot in the senior amateur class.

What I'm considering is either a G26 or G34. My hesitation on the 34 is that as a new shooter I don't think that I can compete with the experienced shooters that I think are inclined to purchase the 34. The G26 may have me competing with people that use this model for CCW.

Any suggestions?
    lbm

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You may use your existing G17 in Amateur Civilian, Amateur Competition, Masterstock and Unlimited. If you purchase a G26, you may use in in Subcompact plus all of the above. If you purchase a G34 you may only use it in Amateur Competition and Unlimited. Amateur Competition is defined by pistol and not by shooting ability.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

a G29, G30, or G39 would allow you to shoot it in every class. since you already have the 17 that's legal in 4 classes i'd look at a G30.

4. gary newport

gary newport

In the new edition of his book, The Glock In Competion, Robin Taylor recommends entering the SAME pistol in Master Stock and Competition that you use in A-C. The goal is not to WIN the other two divisions, but to set yourself up to do better in A-C.

For a couple of years, I shot Master Stock and A-C with the same pistol, using the first as a warm-up. This year, I shot all three divisions with my G37, shooting A-C last. My A-C time was the best I've gotten -- but my rank didn't improve since everyone else shot better this year! :crying:

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

why wouldn't you want to win MS or Comp? maybe we ought to tell Don to return his UL certificate since the goal is to improve and maybe win in AmCiv

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

:shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: :dancingbanana:

7. gary newport

gary newport

It ain't so much a matter of "want" as it is of CAN! If I'm looking to improve my chances in A-C, I'm probably Not Ready For Prime Time in Master Stock or Competition -- but I'll take a win if one falls into my lap! ;)

8. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Amen Gary...EDE ya know how I feel...(6) model 17's....when I learn to shoot one I'll go to the next....maybe ya all would of become Master if ya would have shot the same pistol more often.???:hugs:

9. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Excuse me in my haste to jab I ommitted would of become a Master SOONER ED.....:thumbsup:

10. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i wondered what you were trying to say. i think the best thing, or best two things i did was park the "Competion" gun and the 23 and switch to a 22 for MS, Comp, and AmCiv. witout really looking into past results i think you'll find Comp is usually an easier class to win than AmCiv as far as scores go.

11. gary newport

gary newport

Robin Taylor's advice was directed toward those of us not named Butch, Grady or Bobby who (a) want to shoot more at a GSSF match and (b) might benefit from the warm-up/extra practice of shooting our A-C legal pistol in divisions where we aren't competitive (Master Stock) or where our pistol isn't perceived as competitive (Competition) before we shoot our G17/20/21/22/31/37 in A-C.

He added that some Bullseye shooters choose to use the same gun in more than one division, even if that gun has a competitive disadvantage in one of them, because familiarity with ONE gun helps them across all divisions. It sounds like you chose to do the exact same thing.

At this point, I'm not even trying to WIN A-C, I'm just trying to get within smelling distance of the A-C winner!

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

gary if you don't mind sharing what is your best score and how close have you got to the winner? you might be closer than you think. like i said for me i was always better with the "less competitive" 22 and 23 than i was the long slides and finially figured out i'd be ahead to not use them. even at the indoor GSSF matches i've had as many or more 500s with the 22 and 23 as the 24 and 35. i bet i've got more 498s with the 27 than than i have 490 somethings with all the other pistols put together, but i also shoot the 27 more.

13. gary newport

gary newport

In 2005, I shot a G17 for an A-C score of 115.04 (winner: 64.91), finishing 20th.

In 2006, I shot a G37 (using my reloads for the first time in GSSF) for an A-C score of 103.73 (winner: 64.95), finishing 20th! (I seem to be stuck in a rut.)

Butch, Grady and Bobby don't have anything to worry about from me! :sad:

14. mleeber

mleeber

+1 on the G30! I used mine for Am Sub and Am Major Sub. Your 17 can be used for Am Civ, Comp, Master Stock, and Master Unlimited. My G30 has got to be my most accurate Glock and the nice big holes will break lots of B/C lines on the target! The 29 is the same gun but unless you reload 10mm ammo is pricey and usually loaded hotter than 45ACP. I am not a Gap fan so I cannot speak to the G39 but I am sure that someone will...

15. ede

ede Bama's Friend

gary you aren't far off, or closer than you think. i bet, without knowing how you shoot, if you slowed down you'd do better because of the reduced penality time. indoor GSSF has helped me alot with hitting the far targets. another thing for me has been to consider how i shot and how i shot each target, i mean shooting order, and make adjustments for that. with me i get faster the more i shoot so shooting the far targets first has helped me a lot and shooting side to side.

as for the 39 and the GAP i love both, building a 37 for UL next year. i did ok with the 39 and did poorly with it, but it was me. i had great results with the 27 which is the same frame as the 39. sort of as an test i made a couple 100 loads for the 10mm and used it in MSub and had a very good outing so I'm using the g29 now for MSub.

16. lbm

lbm

Looks like I have no chance to ever get close to the winners or even the middle of the pack.

My current plan is to shoot Am Civ and Competition with my G17.

One of the posters said to check the scores in each class and I did. First in Am Civ was 57.28 and tenth was 89.46. Competition first place was 57.09 and tenth was 79.48. There were 68 shooters in Am Civ and 53 in Comp. The stats that are listed above are from the Michigan GSSF shoot in September. Almost forgot, the same guy won both classes and same shooter was second in both classes. These guy's are good!

What I'm thinking is if I get a 26 than I can shoot in Am Sub but if I get a 30 I could shoot both Am Sub and Major Sub. Don't know if I can handle the recoil from the 30? Which of the Major Subs has the least recoil?

How would I find a GSSF indoor league anywhere near SE Michigan to practice?

Thanks to everyone for helping a new senior shooter.
    lbm

17. ede

ede Bama's Friend

lbm if you look a bit more the same shooter won Sub too and finished in the money in UL. the AmCiv and Comp socres are in the top 5 for the year so they're great scores and maybe not 100% typical of most match results. all 3 amature class scores were also a personal best for me in each class and not 100% typical of what i usually shoot, but not real far off either. i ithnk but have not been able to find out for sure but i think my plate time may be the best amature score ever on plates. go back a year and look at what i was shooting and look at what i've done this year. last year i shot indy, marietta, brighton, statesville, conyers, and lexington. this year i shot orlando, ft.benning, indy, st.paul, topton, anderson, brighton, marietta, lexington and in a few days penscola. i've laid out in other post what i tihnk was the turning points in my preformance this year.

as for recoil i'd load my own ammo and you can adjust the power level. i'd get a G30 in 45ACP for MSub and it'd work in Sub too.

18. gary newport

gary newport

Thanks much, ede, for the encouragement and advice. My problem on the D-1 targets isn't so much miss penalties (I had a total of six added seconds on D-1 targets for the 2006 A-C match, all "earned" on Five to Glock) as slow times on the cardboard. However, the Plates are a different matter and REALLY kill my score! Close as they are, I miss some of them once or even twice (never left a plate standing though). Slow target acquisition and misses on steel (I even missed a Popper once this year) seem to be my biggest problems. I probably try to shoot too fast on the relatively bigger steel targets.

19. ede

ede Bama's Friend

big trick with steel is to shoot and move, don't wait for it to fall. you'll waste alot of time watching it fall. on the M don't shoot the steel last and again shoot it and move, if you miss or it doesn't fall come back and pick it up. for me dry fire pratice has helped, i have 6 bolts holding the doors on my fireplace and use them for an aiming point, shoot and move, or click and move.

20. Stephen Hansel

Stephen Hansel

If I were you I would stay with 9mm,go with 17c or 34,then you could shoot competition class .In GSSF there is no need for more power than 9mm,unless you have other calibers.I am trying to shoot the cheepest i can so I shoot more,I have all the GLOCK calibers except 10mm.GLOCK34er