close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Consensus on Ruger SR22?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by fnfalman, May 14, 2012.

1. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Yes? No? Maybe?

At first I thought that it was 3rd party pot metal junk like the SIG Mosquito/Walther P22, but it is Ruger's own product.

Can I expect MkII/MkIII reliability out of this sucker or is that too much to ask?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I have a buddy who just bought one. I'm curious myself.

I handled one before and they do seem like a step up from the P22 and Mosquito, which are basically pot metal junk.

3. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Agreed it is a step up from the Umarex (although most anything ought to be.) Seems to me a couple guys here have said the SR22 has impressed them. I have only been able to handle them so far but not shoot one yet.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. ESI Agent

ESI Agent

Dec 31, 2004
    L.A. Ca
    I have one. Its reliable and fun to shoot. Easy to brake down unlike my 22/45,life time warranty, works for me.:supergrin:

5. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I handled one and really liked the feel. Gooooooo for it!!!!!!!!

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Far better than my MKIII and as good as my MKI & II.

I bought the SR22 on impluse and actually didn't expect too much. My record with new untried guns hasn't been all that good lately.

The gun has turned out so well I recently bought a second one just because.

One of the primary uses is fast firing point shooting in daylight and in low light. I have a Crimson Trace laser on one gun and have ran a lot of ammo through it fast firing while moving in low light.

I bought extra magazines and seldom does a day, or night go by that I don't shoot at lease 150 rounds.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once in a while I'll remove the slide and wipe out the crud. Almost never clean the barrel.

Mostly I shoot Wal Mart bulk pack, so I get a ammo caused malfunction once in a while.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    That's says a lot, because I love the Mark series.

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Yes, me to.............

I guess I'd say the MK and SR are different enough guns that they can't be compared directly with each other. I like them both but for different type shooting.

I've had the MK Rugers since 1961 and they are great guns, except I've had too much trouble with the MKIII.

The SR looks like it will be a good gun for the type gun it is but we will see where it's at after 50 years.:supergrin:

Just shot the SR some more.
    Plinking at 25 yards with iron sights.
    Looks like I have to adjust the sight up and right a little.
    The ammo is Wal Mart Remington bulk pack. It's interesting that there was a squib round that key-holed at the top of the target.

I haven't done enough target shooting with the SR22 to see just how well the gun and I shoot but I think the gun will shoot better than this with decent ammo.
    A couple evenings ago I was sighting the laser in at 25 yards and it was shooting about 3 inches.

[​IMG]

9. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Mine is a beast. No malfunctions yet & i have been through a few bulk packs. I'd buy it all over again!

10. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    I wanted me then saw all the reports of the takedown lever breaking. User error? Slides flying off the gun after it happening.

I read all that and said no. Thanks guys. I want one again. :(

11. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

May 27, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I checked one out at my LGS last week: seems like a solid little gun. If I can sell my last bike I'm going to pick one up (and finish off my reloading setup).

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

12. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    Love mine. About 750 flawless rounds through it. Mostly Federal Champion bulk (500 rd box from Wallyworld). Not a single malfunction. Outstanding pistol for the price and purpose.

13. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I've got one and it goes to the range with me every trip. I've put a couple of those 525 round boxes through it with No issues, and I mean none. It'll run dirty, like the Buckmark Camper URX I have, but I made sure to keep this one cleaned, adjusted, and lubed.

It's also the gun I use to setup the chronometer, in cable I have a flyer.

So far I have used the Remington big box, the Federal big box (really good for bulk,) some CCI Mini Mags, and some CCI Stingers. It eats all of them!

I would recommend getting some extra magazines, because the 10-round capacity gets old really quickly.

The larger blackstrap with the hump is the one I've got installed, and I have some jeweler's screwdrivers in my range kit in case I have to adjust the sights.

14. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    Trigger is great either SA or DA. I always try to get things going DA (has to be decocked via the safety/decocker,) and finish off the magazine SA.

It also works great for slow or rapid fire, too.

Very light pull and short travel once it's cocked.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  15. 40 0'Glock

40 0'Glock

Mar 22, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I prefer the Mark series pistols. My Mk3 has close to 8,000 rounds of bulk through it with just a few duds.

16. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    The SR22 is a step above the competition, no question. From all I have heard it has proved its self to be a reliable non ammo sensitive pistol.

17. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon

I'll be getting one as soon. Hopefully it will work as well as my two 'junk' P-22s!

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Could any of the owners comment on this?

I want to use this gun as a training device for women who find the 22/45 to be a tad heavy, so I don't expect it to be some sort of range beast but at the same time I don't want a flimsy lil thang that would break either.

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    That's exactly one of the things I use it for.
    The first time I shot the gun I said This would be a good first gun for teaching women and kids.

So far the women that have shot it like it.