Confused... Which federal primer?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by igolfat8, Oct 12, 2012.

1. What is the difference between the various Federal primers? Magnum, Magnum Match and Pistol Match? I just reload .40 for target practice and plinking. Which ones do I need? TIA

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    I'm confused. But then again, I'm not really. The Okie Corral Jul 23, 2015
    Is this a PRE-BAN G19 mag? (confused) General Glocking Jun 27, 2015
    I'm confused Introduction Forum May 30, 2015
    Infuriated and confused. Uncategorized Oct 6, 2008
    Confused: Info needed. Black Rifle Forum Mar 25, 2015

3. All you need is a small pistol primer like the Federal 100.
    In theory, match primers have a little better quality control and I use the large rifle match for my .308 and 6.5x284 Norma.

You shouldn't use Magnum primers unless you are loading a magnum cartridge. Like .44 Magnum, that kind of thing.

Richard

4. Not even then. You use a magnum primer to ignite particularly diff powders like H110. The only time I use a mag primer in pistol loads is for such powders. In rifles, not until I am hitting charges of 60gr+ of slower powder. You can use a mag primer though, it's just not required & you will NOT just want to plug them into your fav load, unless that is midrange or less. They can increase pressures at the top end with some powders.
    Match primers are supposedly put together w/ better QC, so more uniform. Maybe, maybe not. With handgun, just won't matter. With rifles, it may or may not, only shooting them will tell. When I put together precision loads for rifle, the last thing I will do when tweeking a load is try diff primers. Sometimes it matters a lot & sometimes not at all.

#3 fredj338, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  5. Thanks for the explanation guys.