Confused Regarding Winchester 147gr 9mm Ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Robert44, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Hi All. I'm confused about Winchester 147gr 9mm ammo. I have some 147 grain PDX1 ammo that states on the box that it passes the FBI testing requirements. I also see reference to the Winchester Ranger 147gr T-series Law Enforement ammo with the "RA9T" code on the box. Are these the same loads in different boxes? Are both bonded ammo? And, are both of these the latest generation of ammo from Winchester?

For better or worse, I would like to use the same ammo the FBI selected. I think they use .40s though??? I wonder if some agents use 9's and this Winchester ammo is what the FBI selected for them?

I have some medical issues and like the low recoil of the 9mm over larger calibers. I would like to use the same ammo the FBI chose for 9mm (if that exits). I have researched this but the more I read the more confused I am! Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks!!!

2. The Winchester 9mm 147 gr. PDX1 uses the same bullet that the Winchester RA9B does which is the bonded version of the unbonded RA9T.

The RA9T and the RA9B (or PDX1 if you want) FBI test protocol results can be found here:

http://winchesterle.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/pdf/Handgun Bullet Barrier Testing Protocol.pdf

The Winchester 9mm PDX1, RA9B and RA9T pass the FBI test protocols.

You are all set. :)

#2 M 7, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  3. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

You can almost always get your technical questions answered here in GT.