close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Confused about CT pistol law

Discussion in 'New England Colonial Club' started by nognig, Jun 3, 2007.

1. nognig

nognig

Apr 16, 2004
    I'll be moving to CT in a few months and I'm confused by the laws. From what I understand, you can't carry a pistol (even unloaded in your car's trunk) without a pistol permit.

To obtain said permit, you need to take a NRA course. How does one go about taking such a course if you can't get your pistol to the place you take the course? I guess one option is to rent one, but that might not always be possible.

Is there something I'm missing?

NN

2. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    If you have a resident permit from your home state, apply to the CT State Police for a CT non-res permit. Once you move, get it switched to a resident permit. I'm willing to bet the Special Licensing & Firearms Unit will make the switch for you, so that you can avoid the hassle of dealing with a local CT PD (and the possible anti-gun attitudes prevalent in lower CT PD's).

Call the State Police.

3. Jene

Jene Millennium Member

Oct 12, 1999
    CT, USA
    Here we go again!!!!! Hef, we are not anti-gun in CT. Getting a permit is straight forward and is not a hassle. Before you start making assumptions and maligning our local PD's, you might want to be informed and know what you are talking about. Do I sound like I took the comment personally.... you bet I do. Most officers, to include the ones I work with, are not anti-gun. The only ones I've really ever run across were higher-ups in big cities, with political aspirations.

Nognig, if you are moving to the state, yes, unloaded in the trunk, ammunition elswhere, gun locked up will not cause you an issue. Then apply for a permit. Taking the course is easy, and the place where you go usually provides the guns. Its not like a long or involved shooting session; more a safety and familiarization session.

4. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    Almost all gun ranges and gun clubs provide permit classes. In the class I took at the local range, a range gun rental was included with the cost of the class.

5. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    My comment was based upon the attitudes of the (lower Fairfield/New Haven) personnel who make decisions regarding permits, policy, etc, as they are the people who use their positions to promote anti-gun agendas. My experience has been that CT patrol officers overall are 50/50 when it comes to supporting gun rights, but in lower Fairfield County and New Haven they seem to be more anti-gun than pro-gun.

I'm not attacking you personally, so please don't take it as such. I've met quite a few cops, and have/had a few in my family. My cousin was the chief of police in Stamford (retired now).

6. nognig

nognig

Apr 16, 2004
    Thanks guys! I don't have a permit in my home state, so I can't get the temp permit based on that.

My other option is to take the NRA course here in Michigan before I leave. My question is, will there be a problem getting it recognized? Which course should I take?

I've been shooting for 3 years or so, I think I'm pretty good with a pistol, at least an intermediate level of skill. Should I just take the most basic handgun course?

NN

7. eyesnorth

eyesnorth

Jun 9, 2004
    CT
    Basic is all that is required. Don't worry, the laws and PDs here aren't bad on a whole except fot the occasional individual with an attitude.

8. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Jul 20, 1999
    CT
    I'm in lower Fairfield County, and I don't think I've come across a cop that isn't pro-gun.

Most of them are pretty nice, even had a nice talk with a State Trooper who was asking what I was carrying.

9. Douglas in CT

Douglas in CT Millennium Member

That's good old harlem and his lead foot again! ;)

10. harlenm

Jul 20, 1999
    CT
    This was after I was rear-ended while completely stopped on 95.

:tongueout: :tongueout:

11. eyesnorth

eyesnorth

Jun 9, 2004
    CT
    Well there's your mistake...don't slow down on 95 for anything.

12. DB79

DB79

Jan 14, 2007
    I'm in lower Fairfield County and didn't run into any anti-gun attitudes when applying. Although, the police did character interviews with all my neighbors which caused some discontent. The funny thing was that none of my neighbors knew me or that I lived next to them.

13. harlenm

Jul 20, 1999
    CT
    Everyone else was stopped, what was I supposed to do? Drive in the shoulder?

14. eyesnorth

eyesnorth

Jun 9, 2004
    CT
    Absolutely!

15. SBD

SBD

Jul 10, 2007
    Northeast
    Hey NN,

I suggest you start reading the laws (CT state as well as federal) before you move. As far as getting your pistol to CT without a permit, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act#.22Safe_Passage.22_Provision.

As for your permit class, there really is no "choice" involved. What I mean is that what you should be looking to sign up for is something with "NRA pistol permit class" in the title. It shouldn't matter where you take the class as long as it was taught by an NRA-certified instructor and you receive a certificate that has his or her NRA number on the bottom. Then when you move to CT, go to your local police and you can start the application process.

I just got my CT resident CCP on Monday, about three weeks after I applied for it. Let me know if you have any more questions.

16. harlenm

Jul 20, 1999
    CT
    It is not a ccw or ccp permit. There is no requirement to conceal, no matter what you are told. It may be frowned upon, but it is not illegal. It is a permit to carry, that is all.

17. SBD

SBD

Jul 10, 2007
    Northeast
    I called it that out of habit (I also have a non-resident VA permit, which is a permit to conceal because the laws are different down there).

Hey harlenm, have you ever had problems with onlookers open-carrying where you live in CT (if you've tried)?

18. harlenm

Jul 20, 1999
    CT
    Won't try it, not in the area where I live.

19. Not true. The officer in my town was VERY anti and even tried to talk me out of getting my pistol permit. :upeyes:

20. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    Well, yea. You do have to get a local permit first, which means you have to go through the local PD. It is too bad you ran into that, but you did get it?

My PD did not even blink an eye. They helped with the paperwork and everything went easily and quickly.