Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Confined to your home. .

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by wjv, Jun 8, 2012.

1. wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    You wake up one morning and hear sirens outside. You look out the window and see police, national guard and other official looking vehicle zipping by. Turning on your TV/Radio you discover that a major event is in progress. . For purposes of this question, it doesn’t matter what (Zombies, Plague, Alien Invaders).

The news announcer has stated that a 24x7 curfew will be in effect, starting in 30 minutes. The police, NG and such have “shoot to kill” orders and the military will be using some of their thousands of drones to patrol the area to enforce the curfew. The news announcer is also saying that the government doesn’t know how long the curfew will last (till the threat is over), but it very likely will be weeks.

Given that you’re smarter than most you immediately fill up all of your bathtubs and other containers with water, and then cover the tubs with plastic to prevent evaporation and contamination. (Or use a WaterBOB).

You have 30 minutes before the curfew starts to be able to run out to any outbuilding you have on your property, and grab any other supplies that you think might be useful. (For example, I keep my propane tanks and extra gas in our 20x12 barn rather than keeping it in the garage).

As you expected, within days the power, water and natural gas stop flowing and you are left with just what you have to survive.

So if you were confined to your home and any ATTACHED buildings such as a garage, and COULD NOT leave the house for any reason, under threat of instant death. . .

How long could you and your family survive?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Mar 11, 2008
    just my wife and i. probably about 3 weeks of normal eating, mabey more.

3. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Mar 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Long enough to become complacent...or dig a tunnel to my garage and turn it into a FOB.

Either way it sounds miserable. I was born a free man and I'll remain that way, regardless of the consquences. I've made hard decisions before and I'm sure I would again.
  4. pugman

May 16, 2003
    Considering it sounds like defense isn't a concern..a year (as long as the pooches can go outside)

I have three rain barrels right next to three windows on my first floor. Given 30 minutes its hook up 3 hoses. During a good rain storm I can easily collect 500 gallons of water.

We have an extraordinary large garage - I have 6 20# tanks in there which would be enough to cook for us for a long time.

I may even consider abandoning my house and heading to my MIL's boyfriend (I can make the drive in less than 5 minutes). Small trailer but nearly self sufficent. A sweet solar system, rain collection, canned foods for years. We just received jars of tomatoes and cinnamon pears he canned five years ago - tasted awesome.

My single concern is waste removal
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  5. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Nov 2, 2011
    Coast of Maine
  6. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    You should watch "Right at Your Door".
  7. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    Hrmmmm no way they could control EVERYONE so just do your stuff while the army shoots all the good boys just getting their life turned around in the cities.....

Next question.
  8. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    Depend on how regular it rains. Thats my limiting factor for the realistic near term.
  9. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    First off, the senario is a bit impossible. They government couldn't have personnel to watch each citizen's home to make sure no one goes outside in their own back yards. Confinement curfews usually mean off the streets and confine youself to your property.

Now with that being said. I have enough supplies to last about 6 months. I just don't see American soldiers gunning down american citizens on the streets that are not shooting at them.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  10. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    What? They're gonna post someone outside to execute you for walking out your own door?

I have 3 acres. It's one thing to have to stay on your own property. Another altogether to have to stay inside.

Unless its some kind of radiation issue, like I was x number of miles from a blast and the building survived. In which case I DESIRE to be down in my basement.

I have a month's supply of bottled water and the ability to purify more.

I have a year's supply of food. At least.
  11. LOL.. where in the frack are all these vehicles and troops coming from?

I can't see or hear the road when looking out my window, so I would not know..

If I did know, and somehow they got 4 guys to guard all four sides of my house, I reckon I am good for quite sometime. But those dudes standing on my porch with guns drawn...? they got about 40 seconds.
  12. Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Within 72 hours the populace would revolt.
  13. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
  14. wjv

Jan 17, 2002
    Pacific NW
    The POINT isn't how the government could enforce a curfew, it's. .

How long could you survive in your home with zero outside support including utilities. . . . .
  15. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    30 minutes? 2 thoughts, quickly move to a better neighborhood, or take shelter in the Wallyworld that's 5 minutes away.
  16. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

Mar 1, 2005
    Old Dominion
    Ha, I live out in the country, those boys can't be everywhere at once. I'd ignore it. I've got dogs to walk, curfew or not. And a garden to tend to.
  17. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    I agree. Do you realize how many guns and how much ammo is sold in this country every week. Even if 50% of those folks had the stones to go out and revolt, it would start a civil war.
  18. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

Nov 9, 2008
    Heck yeah! And if they come around, you can hit them with your tactical hoe!! :)

19. Honestly, the fail point for ANYONE, is going to be water. Whether they have 1 gallon or a thousand in the house.

Your question/scenario is such that no matter how prepared, there is NO ability to resupply, unless your house has a artisian well in the basement.

Luckily, your scenario is just not possible. But for many here, if confined, lets say just to their property, the answer is "a long time" for some, it's near forever.

I have enough "woods" to supply me with firewood forever, I have a water source on my property, and the ability to capture/store/filter it for a very long time. I have plenty of the basics.. food.. guns.. ammo.. commo.. proper tools for gardening by hand.. seeds.. TP.. etc. etc. etc.

But as I said.. water is what a person needs, and in your scenario, none will be available.

So what is the ONE take away for you with this question...?

Make damn sure you have a good H2O plan, and a back-up or two.
  20. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    A real long time.'08. :cool: