close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Conditional Offer of Employment ?'s

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by GeorgiaRedfish, Aug 4, 2011.

1. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish
    Expand Collapse

Well I have been given a conditional offer or employment that are dependent on if I pass the psychological interview and a physical. Can anyone give insight to what the psychological test will be like? Friends I know who've taken different test with different agencies say they are testing your temper mainly, but I would like the insight from CT wisdom. Thanks in advance guys.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. freeride88

freeride88
    Expand Collapse

It could be any number of things, including the MMPI. You're not going to be able to "beat" it, so don't even try. Just answer all the questions honestly and try to be patient, because it may be a long day. When it comes time for the sit-down with the psych, be calm and don't lose your cool no matter what he says. Be prepared for some strange questions. Think about your answers before you speak and stick with them. Some of them seem to question your answers as if you've answered incorrectly. Stick with your answers. They likely just want to see if you'll waffle under pressure.

There's not much you can say about psych tests. Plenty of good candidates seem to have trouble with them, don't let it bother you too much if you do. Just do the best you can and be honest.

#2 freeride88, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

I had the MMPI as well. It's about 200 of the dumbest questions you will ever read. Do you step on cracks in sidewalks? do you love your mother? do you torture animals? All kinds of weird stuff. Best advice is just answer each truthfully and don't try to answer the way you think they want you to. The one i took was true/false and just take each question at face value.

4. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish
    Expand Collapse

Well I already took two psych tests like that, where it was asking weird questions in a test format. This one will be an interview, with a psychologist so I guess it will just be the same type questions but they are looking more at how I respond?

5. Mattz

Mattz
    Expand Collapse

Dude it's just common sense stuff. You'd have to be a looneytoon to fail one.

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1
    Expand Collapse

What ever you do, don't pull the Dr's finger if he asks you to...

7. phred119

phred119
    Expand Collapse

Mine was the MMPI. It seemed like it was about 20 multiple choice questions, asked 30 times over, phrased slightly differently each time. Stuff like "I hear voices in my head", "I listen to the voices in my head", etc.

After that, it was a nice sit down chat with the shrink. I really don't even remember what he asked, I was too exhausted from listening to the voices in my head tell me how to answer the questions on the MMPI.

8. rsagona1

rsagona1
    Expand Collapse
    Hello

I've heard of people failing them at one agency but passing them at another agency. It's subjective. If one failed I'd not call them a looney, I'd say it's bad luck (no, I didn't fail).

Did anyone have to draw a picture of themselves? I did. I am certainly not knocking the process, but sometimes I feel this is rediculous.

I have no doubt in the back of my mind the "doctor" is thinking, "hmm, well he didn't draw himself with shoes! He must not think he will be traveling far in life. FAIL!".

I really don't have anything to base the above on, I just find the whole process, well, a way to weed out people.

#8 rsagona1, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. collim1

collim1
    Expand Collapse
    Shower Time!

Don't forget do you wear red on Fridays?

It was the dumbest test I ever took, and I hated every stinking minute of it. I remember it being more like 400+ questions, but might just be exaggerating because of how excruciating it was for me.

10. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the help guys, I'll update you when I get the results. My test is Tuesday.

11. KiloBravo

KiloBravo
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Newb

This thread is really making me not look forward to my psych evaluation, Haha. That is the last test I have before I go to the academy this November. I guess I will plan for a full day of boredom. LOL

12. Sharky7

Sharky7
    Expand Collapse
    Boomshakalaka

No way to prepare for it...You'll be fine as long as you are not nuts. Good luck.

Make sure you write a nice professional letter of acceptance, include a copy to the Chief. Let them know how excited you are to get started and you look forward to working hard and learning in the academy.

13. DaBigBR

DaBigBR
    Expand Collapse
    No Infidels!

The MMPI-II has 567 items on it, with lots of repetition. The person is then classified in to four or five groups (can't remember which). Each group corresponds with a differing level of adjustment and therefore presumed compatibility for employment. In my state, candidates in group I and II are good to go. Candidates in group III and IV require a separate psychological interview and the agency is then expected to certify that despite the results, the person was found to be suitable for hire. In other words, you can't "fail" it, but the agency can certainly pass on you based on the results.

14. SCSU74

SCSU74
    Expand Collapse
    St. Cloud Proud

ya it was ridiculous, then we had to meet with a dr. after and he asked us why we answered certain questions certain ways

15. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

It is a pain in the rear. The one I took had a few hundred online questions you answered before the interview with the doc. He asked some questions and 15 minutes or so later it was over with. Not a horrible experience but certainly not something I would want to do again.

16. CAcop

CAcop
    Expand Collapse

I know we took the MMPI, Meyers-Briggs, and IQ tests. The schedule to come in with a half a dozen to dozen other people. All of you sit around a table and take the tests from 8 to 12. Then you break for lunch and come back based on when you finsih the test. That is, first one finsihed gets 1:00, second 1:30, etc. Theoretically it could take longer than 30 minutes for the interview portion. I have heard of some going as long as 50 minutes and some as short at 20 minutes.

About 1 out of 5 fail around here. Some do goofy **** in the interview. For example a guy was sitting there talking to the shrink when the shrink answers the phone. The candidate thought he was supposed to "take charge of the situation" and chewed the shrink out for being "rude." They will try to mind **** you at least once. Ask a really personal question that some might take offense to, question your abilties, etc.

Really its like the polygraph. Someone once long ago thought it would be a great idea and maybe it saved on PD one time in a lawsuit. Now everybody does it because a bunch of chiefs needed help figuring out what they really needed to look at in a psyche exam. Of course the shrinks went along with it because it is easy money.

17. Rabbi

Rabbi
    Expand Collapse
    The Bombdiggity
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. GT Bikers
    3. The JBT's
    4. Project Mayhem

Did Meyers and an IQ...then an hour with the shrink.

Fairly straigh forward and I actually thought the shrink nailed the right questions with me. (if you look at me as a total candidate, of all the things he could have asked me, he hit the things that actually were worth exploring)

18. scottydl

scottydl
    Expand Collapse

I've taken a several of them over the years, all were nearly exactly the same. Hundreds upon hundreds of logic and true/false questions (same tests others have mentioned), and anywhere from no interview to a 45 minute interview with an actual human.

I have a real problem with depts making hire decisions based on a multiple choice print-out, versus focusing more on the personal interview(s) and/or background checks. 1 in 5 is a good average that was mentioned... I "failed" one (first one I ever took in '01 I think), passed the other 4 for various depts I tested for along the way.

^ This.

19. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

20. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux
    Expand Collapse
    Shut your mouth

I got so bored during my 1 kabillion question psyche test I kinda stopped reading the questions or caring how I answered. I just tried to blaze through as fast as possible. When I spoke with the shrink she asked me about ten times how I dealt with gossip and backstabbing. That was pretty much it.

MF