close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Concentrated simple green

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by kaech, Nov 18, 2012.

1. kaech

kaech

Well since I've gotten an FDE glock I found that a weekend/600 rounds at the range really gets the frame/dust cover black (dont notice as much on my tactical black frames)LoL! My question is Do any of you have experience cleaning with simple green? Will it work any better than 90% rubbing alcohol And brush? Right now the only thing that takes it completely off is rubbing alcohol,hoppes 9,ballistol then more rubbing alcohol to get the oil off.....see where this is going

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Id say it would be fine to use simple green is some good stuff, but just to be sure test it on a spot before doing the whole thing...

3. SJ 40

SJ 40

I tend to favor cleaning with Ballistol,however I mix it 30% Ballistol to 70% isopropyl alcohol,91 % in a pump sprayer.
    Best cleaner I have come across whether it's smokeless or black powder,levees the plastic Glock uses with a nice sheen not dried out like non chlorinated solvents.

Tried using Simple Green on black powder,cleaned well but did nothing that Ballistol didn't but didn't leave a non rusting oil behind like Ballistol, Just my experiences. SJ 40

4. kaech

kaech

Yeah it does state (test a spot b4 use)

5. kaech

kaech

I too have mixed the two. I just dont like use'in the ballistol on my frames. The mixture sure works well on barrels

6. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

I got my 27 as a police trade in and it was disgusting when I bought it. I used simple green to get all the crap out of the frame texture and it worked great. The mixture is 50-50.

7. kaech

kaech

You know i always clean my glocks after each range trip/weekend and im beginning to dislike it. Im getting to the point where i wanna break 'em down and put 'em in the dishwasher.LoL!... with the dry cycle off of course........:screwy:

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Don't mind me; and, yes, I know this is the Internet; however I would strongly encourage you NOT to use any of the following products on either a Glock, or any other polymer frame pistol: Hoppes' #9, Alcohol, or Simple Green.

Once in awhile I'll use a little isopropyl alcohol in order to clean up molybdenum disulfide residue, but only on or inside the barrel. I never see anyone mention it in these threads; but Simple Green does NOT react well with other gun cleaning chemicals, and some metal finishes. Alcohol and polymer frames should be kept apart, too.

For use on a Glock, Ballistol has just the right mixture of mineral oil and Stoddard's solution (?) to get the polymer frame really clean without unduly wearing it out.

9. kaech

kaech

Yeah i figured I'd ask around before I just sprayed the frame down. Otherwise I've been using rubbing alcohol and toothbrush for a few years now it works great. The FDE frame is a little stubborn though

10. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

A little bit of Ballistol on a toothbrush is all you need. I have a hard time believing its not removing the powder residue on your frame.

11. SJ 40

SJ 40

It does leave my OD's spotless. SJ 40

12. kaech

kaech

It does,after a few applications. I asked about simple green cause im looking for a easier way. 600/700 rounds of augila sure does leave a tan dustcover/rails caked thick

13. kaech

kaech

After how much shooting 200 rounds tops...right?

14. kaech

kaech

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  15. GaryC

GaryC

Is Stoddard's solution the same thing as Stoddard Solvent?

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/stoddard/docs/stoddard.pdf

16. SJ 40

SJ 40

300-500 rounds but then again I am shooting my handloads for ammunition. SJ 40

17. kaech

kaech

Must be clean powder. Mabey its the augila

18. gunsmoke92

gunsmoke92

Dawn dish soap, a scrub brush, some warm water, and about 5 minutes of your time. No mixing, no fuss, no muss, nothing but a clean frame. Dry, lube, and return to service. What could be easier?

19. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yes it is; and in excessive amounts it's been reported to be a carcinogen, too. (I should have called it, 'solvent'.) :freak:

For whatever it's worth I just spent 30 minutes reviewing my notes on Glock maintenance. MarkCO describes Glock's D6 polymer as being highly acid resistant; 'Better, in fact, than steel.'

On the other hand The Metropolitan Art Museum describes acid formulation as one of the main contributors to the deterioration of plastic artifacts; AND, according to the museum this deterioration can begin as early as 70 to 80 years into the life of many plastic pieces. Worse, once it begins, it's irreversible.

(Perhaps I should point out that museum plastic art is almost completely STATIC. Glock pistols, on the other hand, are used dynamically - 'Frame harmonics' and all that!) ;)

So, do whatever you want. I keep straight alcohol off my polymer frames; and I always use snap caps whenever I dry fire (like everyday). Maybe what I really need to do is to call Smyrna, and lean all over one of the tech support people until he finally breaks down and tells me alcohol is OK; and I really don't need to use anymore snap caps, either! :supergrin:

In any event straight alcohol isn't used in anybody's commercial gun cleaning kit; and, as far as I'm concerned, neither should it be. Most of the guns I've owned have turned out to be, 'life investments' for me; and, now that I'm selling them off, the fact that I've taken very good and very gentle care of them is reflected in the high prices I've been getting. :)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  20. Averageman

Averageman

I use simple green to clean turbine engines.
    Not a bad product and rather gentle. I'm not sure what it does to poly frames, but it doesn't seem to bother a wiring harness.