Concensus for favorite bullet weight in 44Mag?

Discussion in 'The Wheelhouse' started by MCNETT, Jan 20, 2005.

?
  1. 180gr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 200gr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 240gr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 270gr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 300gr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 44Mag?

all good!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I use a home-cast 210-gr flat-base wadcutter bullet ahead of 7.5 grains of HTG. 1150 fps, very accurate out of my 6-inch M629, and a great pin-killer. I suppose it would work well in the field at higher velcities.

3. TED

TED
    Millennium Member

I would use .44 mag for large animal defense and hunting so I voted for the 300gr. However, 240 would be my second choice and it is what I acutally have been using in my .44 rifle. I shoot .44 mag from an old Ruger tube fed carbine.

TED

4. khillery

khillery krunchnticker

Speer factory Gold Dot 270 gr.
    The velocity is 1250 I believe. I found that this load will shoot to just a shade over two inches at 100 yds benched. I have done this all three times that I shot at that distance.
    The revolver is an 8 1/2 inch "Realtree" Anaconda wearing a small Tasco 2000 red dot. [I also have one on my G-36].
    Interestingly enough, the groups at fifty and seventy five are not much smaller....some folks say that bullets sometimes "go to sleep" on the way to the target and will perform like that.
    I took one smaller deer with it at sixty five yards, about two inches low and two inches behind the elbow of the front leg. The deer went down and never regained its feet. The bullet was recovered from the ground behind and showed very little expansion.
    That load is also the best I can find for Clements Custom .44 Ruger Blackhawk also, but only 1 1/2 in at 25 yds with open sights.:)

5. My choice is a 240 grain bullet of some type (depending upon specific purpose) for deer/men and smaller. A 300-330 grain hard cast bullet is used for everything bigger. Velocities may be varied to suit individual purpose as well. Usually plinking fodder is a 240 grain cast lead to a little less than 1000 fps, doubles for head shooting small game as well. Never had a rabbit walk away yet ;) !

Keeping it fairly simple! :)

Dave

P.S. It is not normally my choice for defense against two-legged predators.

6. Brasso

Millennium Member

I voted 270gr, but actually prefer 280gr. It's a nice compromise for weight and velocity.

7. CCV

CCV
    Millennium Member

For real "Keith" bullets (just like Elmer liked) try www.proshootpro.com

8. 13.45

13.45 NRA Benefactor

9. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hands down, the 250gr. Keith, and the 300gr. My Vote Mike.

BTW..."scottauld," the link that 'CCV' gave you for "real Keith bullets," is right on!

Leadheads, 250gr. Keith. I have been shooting Keith bullets, for over 30 years, finally found a place that has the "real deal." !

***EDIT NOTE*** Mike, if you have something 'up your sleeve here,' allow me to throw this in as well. Although i voted "300", cause i do use them for "most hunting situations," I also use the 250gr. 'Keith', as i stated above. BUT, i only have the 'one source' to buy from....(cause i am 'extremely picky' ), when it comes to Cast, and Especially, "Keith" style bullets.

So, that being said... Whatever you are "hatching" in the bullet part of that brain of yours, "Please consider making a REAL TRUE TO SPECS,
    250gr. KEITH."

LeadHeads is a really great supplier of these REAL KEITH bullets, but, "we need more than one man ! " ;)

CanyonMan

10. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I agree.
    I voted 240gr (SWC)

11. G-Bone

G-Bone the 29 is fine

240gr is very nice, you can still make it go really really fast! ;)

Bullet, for general purpose, IMHO, nothing can beat Speers Gold Dot.

There, know you have my $0.02 ;n

12. My all purpose bullet is a 240gr jacketed lead flat nose. Works well in the rifle or pistol.

For serious hunting I would load up some warm 300gr hornady XTP's or speer uni-cor soft points. I carried 300's and 240's at different times in Alaska.

13. I voted 180 gr. Close second would be the 240 gr. plated from Rainier.

I voted 180 gr. because they're easier to shoot as a daily round.

Even with a light/medium powder charge, it would be enough to stop most men in their tracks. It is DAMN sure strong enough to punch nice holes in paper, and it is easy enough to shoot that you can shoot many hundreds of rounds.

When I'm in a 44 mood, I usually shoot two boxes of 180-185 gr "heavy Specials" and half a box of magnums with 240 gr. and a magnum powder.

14. I like 240gr Speer but have really not experimented with anything other than those and 180's.

DG

15. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

I voted for 240. Next choice would be 200. GD's and whatever may be cheaper for practice would be two nice options.

16. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember
    CLM

I shoot 240 most often followed by 300.

17. Everybody has 240gr. cast bullets for sale, Penn bullets has some nice ones, but you have to search and search to find INEXPENSIVE good
    heavy weight bullets. I did find Rim Rock bullets has a nice looking 300gr. for just over 50.00/thousand. Prime reloading supply even lists one for 40/thousand. But most places charge over 130/thousand for their 320gr or 330gr. heavy weights. Now I understand some are custom hand cast bullets....OK..... but it is hard to find quality moderately priced heavy weight bullets in the 44 mag. I particularly am interested in .431 diameter because of my Super Redhawk. Looks like by the voting that a bullet maker.....cough....cough.....like Mcnett should make a 240gr. but it also hints that in a strong second place there is the desire for a 300-330 grain bullet. I would add, with a meplat of around .320 or so, not too small so it tumbles and reduces penetration but not too big so you lose accuracy over longer ranges.....so now.......Goooooo
    300-330 weight.......

18. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

240's and 270's are more popular with me, but it depends on the purpose. I only have one 44 Magnum and it is a leveraction rifle. It is used as a backup deer gun and a truck gun. For personal defense, I keep it stoked with Winchester Powertip HP's (not made anymore, but the same as Black Talon's) in 240gr. For deer hunting, I shoot a Buffalo Bore 305gr. LBT/LFN.

I wish my Winny could chamber these badboys, but they are a tad too long. It will stabilize them though and they shoot well, just don't feed worth a darn.

[​IMG]

19. 240gr. Speer Gold Dot for defense.
    280gr. LFN Beartooth for hunting.
    ;f

20. Weights:
    240gr - general purpose
    300gr - hunting
    260gr - hunting (for variety)
    280gr - hunting (for variety)

Bullets:
    Gold Dot - general purpose + hunting
    Hornady XTP - hunting