close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Concealed Carry on Campus Research

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by kma1005, Feb 25, 2012.

1. kma1005

kma1005

Mar 14, 2007
    I'm writing a paper about legalizing concealed carry on college campuses for my argument based research class. I've been searching for several hours for logical and intellectual arguments for legalization that don't use boat loads of statistics to make their point. I was hoping someone could point me in a good direction: a good article you've read, a good book, website or whatever else.

Already used SCCC but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  2. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The biggest reason for me seems to me the assumption that college students are stupider than their non-college peers. Look at any statement any university puts out on the subject and it comes down to they don't trust their students. But someone the same age is trusted with carry by the state.

3. kma1005

kma1005

Mar 14, 2007
    Believe me I've got mountains of reasons and logic and all that, just need the "scholarly" sources to back it up in my paper.

4. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Apr 24, 2008
    Northwest Louisiana
    You probably won't find many "scholarly" peer-reviewed studies regarding campus carry because only two states (Utah and Colorado) allow CCW on campus. The best you can hope for are studies that provide statistical data that could strongly suggest that undergraduate college student with concealed handgun permits are either more or less likely to miss use a firearm or commit a violent felony crime.

Another approach to take (if the concern of administrators is the propensity for undergraduate students to be irresponsible) is to argue for allowing graduate and post-graduate student to conceal carry on campus. Those individuals would more than likely be older, mature, career-oriented individuals and thus less likely to make immature, rash and dangerous misjudgments.

Since this is a argument-based research class, an important point to begin with is understanding the arguments raise against campus concealed carry and then presenting factual evidence that either refute those arguments or demonstrate their baselessness.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  5. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Aug 14, 2006
    Foothills
    Concealed carry on college campuses is an extremely bad idea. ABC news showed it to be a solid fact that a concealed carrier will be not only the first one shot but shot several times before they can draw from a holster they have never worn before that day with a gun they have never practiced before except for an airsoft replica and concealing under a tee shirt that is down to their knees.

It has to be true since it was on their news show.

6. kma1005

kma1005

Mar 14, 2007
    youtube video link ?

Well I guess they ruined my entire argument, I think I'll just pretend I didn't read this, ignorance is bliss after all.:whistling:

7. bulletandgrunt

bulletandgrunt

Jan 12, 2012
    Mississippi
    Do some seaches for Mississippi's new extended carry option. It allows carry on college campuses. Now the stickler is the college. If you're a student, then when you became a student you agreed to their policy of no weapons. I know over on AR15.com there are quite a few threads on it.

8. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    He was being sarcastic, I hope. The report used staged scenarios that were unrealistic.

9. CookeMonster

CookeMonster

Mar 23, 2011
    Here in California, licensed carry on campus is not illegal, but in the school rules it states "No weapons allowed on campus without the permission of school president." So I requested permission from the Pres, and she informed me that many of the local PD routinely carry on campus, and that if I got her a copy of my LTC and driver's license (photo ID), it was my choice. It can't hurt to ask.

10. Colt452zigzag28

Colt452zigzag28

Mar 28, 2011
    VA

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s"]Proof that Concealed Carry permit holders live in a dream world, Part One - YouTube[/ame]

I never have done this but it is something to think about.

Backpacks on campus are as normal as pants on students. What if someone was carrying concealed on campus. In all honesty I could have kept my glock, loaded in my backpack and no one would have ever known. Most of my friends kept shotguns in their cars/trucks and I can see where the debate comes in with this video.

I believe that there needs to be more extensive training for CCW holders where you can get the type of intense training that the news story talks about rather than just the basic CCW course.

11. SolidGun

SolidGun Addicted 2 guns

Sep 6, 2005
    Minnesota
    :rofl:

This was my exact impression from the biased broadcast. But then at the same time I have seen people that could not load and shoot their guns in CCW courses passing the class.

12. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Republic of Texas
    That ABC News hit piece was exactly what they made it to be.

The underlying message... YOU are not capable of protecting YOU, only the government is.

In the words of a famous DEA Agent, "I'm the only one professional enough to carry a Glock 40."

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  13. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Jan 17, 2005
    Eagan, MN
  14. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    While it is commendable to take a stand in this debate, I would be more than a bit concerned of potential repercussions or increased scrutiny from an unfriendly campus administration. But I may just be paranoid.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  15. Oramac

Oramac

Oct 15, 2008
    Our world is made by people who take a stand and damn what other people think. I wholeheartedly commend him for taking a stand like this. Had I been more involved in CCW while I was in college, I'd do the same thing.

For the OP: You won't likely find any "scholarly" writings on campus carry, as the vast majority of "scholars" are libtards. Also, I encourage you to look at this assignment (and the class as a whole) as a discussion class rather than an argumentative class. This will help keep you calm, which helps get your point across better.

16. glocked1

glocked1

Feb 2, 2011
    Kentucky
  17. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    I am currently attending art school, getting my degree in Advertising and Graphic Design. One of my projects was to do a five part magazine ad series for a non-profit organization of my choice. Well, just to ruffle some feathers (this place is filled with liberals), I chose Ohioans for Concealed Carry.

It went over surprisingly well. My professor is an old US Navy man and was completely cool with the idea. I even had a couple students approach me, wanting to know more information about this "concealed carry thing". It was very well received.

18. kma1005

kma1005

Mar 14, 2007
    Most professors that teach the class I'm in allow almost constant debates, my professor limits us quite a bit to what we talk about and how long we debate anything. I love the way she teaches but would have preferred more debating on topics that I actually care about.

But thanks for the help folks, got a few ideas from everyone here and it is greatly appreciated. Any more thoughts are welcome.

19. mike from philly

mike from philly

Aug 26, 2001
    Georgia