close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Concealed Carry- A Police Officers Prospective

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HerrGlock, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Seriously? This cop thinks he needs to take my gun back to his car and unload it, run the serial# with no probable cause to think it's stolen (how many CCW holders are packing stolen guns?) and then come back and put it in the back seat while I figure out how to clean the sticky Mt. Dew residue from the cupholder off of 15 Golden Sabers?

Nope. That's just paranoia. In my state I'm not required to inform so I don't. That's the law. Officer nervous will just have to learn to be OK with citizens following the law.

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    I can appreciate his keen intent to get home safe, but I disagree with his methodology, and his warped perception that 99.99% of officers who wish to assume control of the gun will want it to be handed to them.

If he meant that 99.99% of officers will want to take control of the gun, I also disagree with that premise. Realizing that statistical data is not supplanted by anecdotal experience, I won't even bother highlighting my own DWA stops.

- G

3. Resqu2

Resqu2

Aug 24, 2007
    SouthWest VA
    His thoughts are different from the VA state troopers I have dealt with on a few occasions, I have only been stopped a few times, the first one wasn't a bit concerned, didn't even ask where it was. The second one that I told about my gun just smiled and told me " don't show me yours and I won't show you mine"

I wouldn't like having my gun taken during a stop but I wouldn't cause a fuss over it either. May tell him since he's taking mine I'd like to hold on to his during the stop.

The only thing I didn't agree on him saying was that he would be upset cause you didn't tell him when it's not required by law. He should work to have the law changed if he don't like it, not get mad at whoever he just stopped.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Please, please, please, leave a note on the linked page as well.

5. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Nov 19, 2007
    Debris Field
    Say it with me:
    "No unnecessary handling of a loaded weapon."

6. k9medic

k9medic

Sep 16, 2000
    at an LZ near you
    In 15 years as a cop I have never asked to see a CCW'ers gun.

I have on more than one occasion talked with the person about how they like their fun though.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003

I don't think you have enough experience as a cop yet (noob!) to speak intelligently on the matter.

And when you do get enough experience you'll be an old dinosouric fart whose opinion won't matter anyways!

:)

8. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Statements like these scare the crap out of me:

"Please understand that police work is not a science, but an art."

Detective work may have an artistic element, but standard law enforcement, including traffic stops?

Believing that to be true implies that the statutes are a palette that an officer can use to 'express his creativity' as he wields the power to detain, arrest, and use deadly force.

9. chargingzebra

chargingzebra

Sep 15, 2012
    I see valid concerns on the part of the officer for his safety, but the man who
    informs the officer and is legally carrying concealed is probably not the one he has to worry about.
    Having the gun clear the holster just makes things far more complicated. I can shoot someone far faster when my gun is in my hand and pointed away than when I have to draw it and then aim, so he's not buying himself much safety. And what if the suspect relinquishes his main gun and use his BUG to kill the officer who thinks he is dealing with an unarmed suspect? The practice of taking the suspects gun only makes sense if the suspect is not legally carrying or is displaying an intent to become violent and/or use the gun.

10. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    What's a prospective? Is that like a prospectus?

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL

Actually I think a prospective is more like a perspectus...

12. Longtooths

Longtooths

Jul 10, 2007
    Wylie, Texas
    Permission to use this please? :rofl::rofl:

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    A perspectus influcks?

14. ^^^ This.

A gun doesn't go off when it's in a holster.
    A gun might go off when it's being taken out or put back into a holster, especially when the holster is on a belt. Worse if an IWB holster.

The more people you ask to remove and then reholster their guns, the greater the chance you're going have an AD.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  15. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
  16. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/17953792

:rofl::rofl:

17. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Yeah, that guy can go to hell. If I do not have a duty to inform AND have not been asked then an officer has ZERO reason to get pissy about it.

My interactions with the PoPo have been uniformly pleasant, glad I have not run into this kind of jackass.

18. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

19. NMG26

NMG26

Jul 24, 2010
    NM
    Interesting that LE does not really respect the law.
    I'd say he is in the wrong job.