close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Concealed carriers generally wear holsters,why?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by barstoolguru, May 9, 2011.

1. barstoolguru

barstoolguru texas proud

Jan 10, 2011
    dallas, tx
    quote: "Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster".

I am making a comment on RussP’s tread “LE perspective: dealing with legally carrying a concealed weapon “ and in the article the author makes a comment that “Concealed carriers generally wear holsters! This is a key point. Most felons I have known or have heard about won’t carry a firearm in a holster“.
    The question is why do you think they don’t?
    is there an advantage to not wearing one?
    Is there a “cool factor” involved?
    Is it just a money thing ?
    Is it just that they don’t know it is safer or just don‘t care?

lets face it.... it amazes me that they can carry a weapon in there pants with out one they are so loose

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. ImDaGlockinator!

ImDaGlockinator!

Mar 25, 2009
    I think that in many cases felons haven't bothered to take firearms safety classes which typically encourage the student to carry their firearm in a holster(preferably a retention holster of some sort)

3. F2blica

F2blica

Jan 31, 2009
    If they have to ditch their "piece" quickly they're not caught walking around with a holster on their hip when a cop is questioning them.

4. Gator Monroe

Gator Monroe

Jan 30, 2011
    Oak Run Ca.
    If we could all carry the way Jack Black carried the hidden 1911A1 as the Lead Farmer brought him to the Drug Gangs compound on the back of the water buffalo in Tropic Thunder we would not need holsters .:rofl:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  5. GunFighter45ACP

GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    Good Guys: Carry firearms responsibly, appreciate the need for comfortable, all day carry, & want a consistent 'grab' on the firearm, when needed. A good holster will generally keep your firearm at the same cant, ride height, and location on the body for that consistency.

Bad Guys: no responsibilities, only carry a gun when they want to cause trouble or confront trouble, & don't like 'evidence' that they were carrying a weapon when confronted by a legal authority.

6. zigzagg321

zigzagg321 clever quip

Jul 21, 2010
    S Oh
  7. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Why don't felons carry in a holster?

Well, for one thing they would have to go find/acquire a holster that fits the firearm they are carrying at that particular time. That is probably seen as an unnecessary hassle and, potentially, even something which increases risk/exposure.

It's probably easier to ditch the gun than the holster + gun.

Most holsters are designed to be worn on a belt.

8. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    To quote a famous Vorlon Ambassador "Yes"

9. philvsphil

philvsphil

Feb 18, 2011
    I live in Miami, FL they aren't ALLOWED to take these courses or allowed to go into gun ranges. I don't know if it's the same everywhere else :dunno:

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    The purpose of my holster is to cover the trigger.

Thugs don't care if they endanger someone nearby with ND.

11. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    You're kidding, right?

12. RRTX11

RRTX11

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Texas
    I don't think he understands that a "felon" cannot even TOUCH a firearm as long as their felony is on record. They could train with a toy gun possibly???

GK

13. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    :faint:

If you understood the origins of the term "mexican carry", you would then understand the reason why those who illegally carry a firearm generally prefer to not use a holster.

F2blica understands the reason...

14. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I agree. Most dont "carry" the gun. They keep it close, in their girlfriend's purse, under a car seat, etc...

15. BobbyT

BobbyT

Jul 27, 2008
    It's just one of those Catch-22 situations, like how the type of person who could sit down and plan the perfect crime is the type who wouldn't commit it, whereas the guy who does gets caught over something stupid.

Why do thugs tat themselves into oblivion and drive cars with busted lights, tacky rims, and temp tags that are 3 years old? Why don't drug transporters put on a suit and tie, have a clean shave, and if pulled over speak to the officer politely so he has no reason to suspect they have 100 kilos of coke in back?

Luckily, most thugs are stupid and therefore easier to catch. Generalities are generally true.

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  16. 2 reasons

They didn't take an NRA handgun course, so they don't know the 4 rules.

You can't draw from a holster when your pants are hanging down under your butt

17. I love that movie!

18. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Because the term criminal genius really doesn't apply to many.

19. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    Easy answer. They dont want to have to buy a new holster every time a hombeboy sells them the newest gun they stole.

20. Kory

Kory

May 1, 2011
    Colorado
    Simple, they can't afford them. They spent all their money on their grill and ice. It's tough to be a gangstur ;)