Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Conceal carry questions

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ted1, Apr 10, 2012.

1. ted1

Apr 2, 2012
    1. How often do you carry.
    2. I have 3 young kids do you carry while your kids are with you.
    3. Can I Carry at the Houston zoo I have always wanted to go hunting the.

Lol just kidding on that last one but any reply to the first two would be helpful.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. YtownGlock

YtownGlock Rookie

Jan 2, 2012
    1. I carry everyday. Even when I am home my Glock 23 is on my hip. I carry conditon one.
    2. I do not have kids. But when I am in an environment or going to an environment where there is going to be kids, I make sure I have it concealed enough to the point where it does not print.

Most guys I know that have kids carry when they are with them. For the same reason they carry when they are by themselves. FOR PROTECTION. Can't protect your family unarmed.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

3. TsunamiMike

Dec 9, 2010
    1. I carry everyday unless I have to go into my office then I lock it up in my car as they have a sign.

2. I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old who like to climb on me, I carry around them as well and am just aware of where the kids are around me. With a good holster and if you are truly caring properly you will not have an issue. I have been carrying for over a year..
  4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    I carry every time I leave the place and much of the time around the place.
    When I do not have a gun on me there is always one, or more, a few seconds away.

A couple weeks ago I forgot the carry gun when I went to town. I felt like I forgot my pants.
    But still I had a pistol and rifle in the car.

I don't have kids but I would think having kids and/or a wife with me would make it especially important that I would have the means to protect them at all times.
  5. ted1

Apr 2, 2012
    Thanks guys I know I will get more response from this post. I just got my Chl I have taking classes I just want to be as safe as possible. Especially when my kids are with me. That's why I am asking for your advice people who have been carrying for awhile.
  6. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Aug 30, 2010
    Note to OP...

If your kids are big enough to gang up on you and take your gun from's time for them to be living on their own and you to have your locks changed....j/k! :super grin:

Seriously...I have carried with my kids without incident. The only issue you might have is when they are at the wonderfully awkward age where they want to tell everyone they meet..."my daddy wears a gun...wanna see it?!"

No way you are going to prevent that one from happening! :rofl:
  7. SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    1. I carry 90% of the time (some places I cannot carry because of my work)
    2. My kids are grown (20+) and know I carry.
    3. Houston Zoo, not sure if they have the 30.06 sign.
  8. SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
  9. ted1

Apr 2, 2012
    Kentuckypatriot I hope that does not happen but they are old enough to do that now. And at the same time it would be kinda funny.
  10. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Aug 21, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Absolutely carry when your kids are around, they are the most important thing you could ever need to protect.

Invest in a good quality holster, that completely covers the trigger guard. And depending on how rambunctious the rascals are, lol, look into holsters with a thumb-break retention strap. Then practice drawing from concealment, till you can do it in one fluid motion. Then practice it some more!
  11. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

Aug 30, 2010
    Yep...mine was at a I was preparing to reach for my wallet my son came out with the infamous line "my daddy has a gun...wanna see it?" The clerk must have seen the look on my face and answered back..."nah, I probably have one just like it!"

I couldn't leave fast enough...or think of a way to prevent that from happening again for several years!
  12. DaBurna

Jun 8, 2008
    Bama Boy
    Kids say the DARNDEST THINGS! Lol!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  13. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Carry every day, don't have kids.
  14. ted1

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey kentuckypatriot that's to funny I hope that never happens I think I would have a stroke. Lmao
  15. 1. Why would someone ever not carry when/where legal?
    2. Most people have kids, including me :)

Are there specific concerns you have questions about?
  16. TN.Frank

TN.Frank Glock4Life

Oct 11, 2004
    Avondale, AZ.
    LOL, this brings up a funny story that I just have to relate.
    Guess it must have been the mid-'80's, probably '87-'88 back before AZ. had a CCW law on the books. Open carry was fine but no CCW, anyway, I had a POS Jennings 22lr semi that I'd carry in my back pocket and my wife and I an younger daughter(she was probably around 10 at the time) were in Smitty's (think WalMart Super Center for the '80's,LOL) and were looking at the guns and my younger daughter pointed to a gun in the display and spoke up and said, "Dad, that looks like the gun you've got in your back pocket." I don't think the counter guy heard it but that was one of those "hey, quite there kid," moments.

Anyway, getting back to the OP question. Now that I've got my S&W 642 I carry everyday, all day and it's under the pillow next to me at night when I'm sleeping. I really love that little gun.
  17. vetmedglock30

Jan 14, 2011
    The only time I had a problem around my children is when (at the time), my four year old ran up to me at the mall and bumped her head on my CCW. She said in a loud voice that turned about ten mother hen heads "Owww, Daddy your gun hurt my head". I was time to move on.
  18. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

May 1, 2010
    Las Vegas
    1. Always, at least a pocket gun such as my 638, 642 or LCR.
    2. I have an 11 year old step daughter, and I always carry, around her or not.
  19. Houdini

Jul 6, 2007
    I carry when I get out of work my kis in high school, check the zoo rules to see if you can carry.
  20. xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    1. I carry whenever legally possible.

2. No I don't have kids. But if I did I'd especially make sure to have my gun on me with them.