close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Compliance question

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by eracer, Sep 10, 2011.

1. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    What's the purpose of asking someone if they've "ever been arrested before?"

Am I required by law to answer that question during a traffic stop?

2. 3.slow

3.slow

Dec 20, 2010
    You aren't required to answer anything. Watch an episode of "Cops" (the television show). It seems that almost everyone arrested volunteers information, consents to search, and generally acts stupid/disrespectful. Do the opposite and you should be better off.

3. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    If I already know the answer, it can help establish if they are a liar.

If I don't, and they provide me with details, it helps me in the course of my investigation.

Are you required to answer? Well, depends on circumstances, what state you are in, and what the purpose of the investigation is. If you refuse to answer, or lie, I suppose you could catch a charge.

4. Wil Ufgood

Wil Ufgood GTDS #88 CLM

Mar 20, 2009
    Out There
    Well I always ask, in the areas I work the chances are pretty good that they have been arrested before. i like to see if they are on parole or probation. It also helps me confirm identity when I run a name check. We get a lot of warrants hits.

5. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    If you've got my D/L are you going to see my entire arrest record?

And if I refuse to answer (which I believe is my right, even if I'm not under arrest) does that create justification for a charge of 'impeding an investigation?'

I know I'm required to identify myself during a traffic stop if I'm the driver (even if it doesn't escalate to the level of a Terry stop,) but would cause for a vehicle and/or person search be established if I refuse to answer any question beyond a request for identification?

6. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Delete...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  7. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    Best free internet advice from an unknown source I've heard all week!:rofl:

8. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    Mostly I do it to see if they are a liar or not. Sometimes it is to confirm a record or to see if there is a picture in the system (like when they don't have an ID).

If you lie, it makes me a lot more suspicious. But if a cop asks you if you have been arrested before and you say "I'd rather not answer that question." We are all going to assume it means yes. It doesn't really change anything with my interaction other than to know who I'm dealing with.

9. merlynusn

merlynusn

Nov 16, 2007
    NC
    I can pull up local arrest records and if I have your license, then yes I can see it because I have your information. I typically wouldn't ask because I know unless I"m trying to see how truthful you are.

Your refusal to answer the question of if you have been arrested or not does NOT establish PC for me to search your car. There has to be more of it. Consequently your refusal to provide consent to search you or your vehicle or belongings does not in and of itself provide PC for me to search you.

10. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks. For me personally the question is pretty irrelevant, since the only arrest I have on my record was for driving without insurance back in 1981. I've got the Safe Driver D/L endorsement, blah, blah, blah, and I generally fall more on the side of making an officer feel safe when he stops me for a traffic violation.

Example, my GF was driving through Georgia on our way north when she got pulled over around midnight by a trooper for going 5 over on I-75. I have tinted windows in my truck (probably not legal in some states...) and told her to roll the front and rear windows down, and turn on the dome lights.

I know some non-LEO's and attorneys will gasp at that, but I think the officer saw that as a sign that I was more interested in making him feel safe than concealing anything from him. Did I open myself up to a vehicle search? Sure. I'm betting that most cops would look at her record, appreciate the gesture, and let us be on our way. He did.

I asked the 'have you been arrested' question because I'm truly curious as to what the point of that question is.

Thanks for answering.

11. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I ask it because it often helps ID someone who does not have their ID with them. If they have been arrested they have been fingerprinted and photographed.

12. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    This and also like others have said determines if someone is being truthful. If I am working an area high in prostitution and you are driving around in circles with your driver side window down on a cold night and you have 3 previous arrests for solicitation of prostitution, it also gives me a clue on what you are probably doing in my area.

Could be lots of reasons....

13. I'd like to believe the motorist was circling because he was lost or the GPS malfunctioned and was instructing the motorist to keep making right turns. And the window rolled down because the car heater was set on high and the controls was broken and can't adjust the heat down. :whistling:

14. And if I refuse to let a cop search my trunk, we are all going to assume I have a dead body, an AK-47 and a bag of cocaine there? :dunno:

15. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    I like to ask to see if I reecognize them from a prior encounter or if I see them at the gym regularly. Often, it's both.

Also, it provides pertinent discussion while we wait on records returns, me to decide what your up to, and what we're going to do next.

16. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Jan 15, 2002
    Doesn't everybody?

I got a big kit when I bought my car that had all that stuff in it. I had to put the dead hooker together though, and the instructions were in the worst Engrish I'd ever suffered through reading.

17. This....

Additionally, my favorite responses are:
    "Who, me?"
    "Not recently"
    "What do you mean by arrested?"
    "Around here?"
    "Today?"
    "Na"

..........:rofl:

18. I'm bored.

I like to ask questions like that.

Never know what the answer will be.

Looks good on the camera.

Take your pick.

19. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

What good are civil rights if they aren't infringed upon occasionally? You know... if you don't abuse them, you lose them. :winkie:

20. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Depends on the state and the level of suspicion. I think a "normal" search in MI won't reveal arrest records, just traffic. If they are suspicious and have your information run through LEIN, it'll show arrests and whatnot.

Different states can set up their computer systems as they see fit, some may get more info, or get it all, some may not.

Randy