close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Competitor/New Shooter briefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by misunderestimated, Jul 9, 2012.

1. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I did not want to side track a thread so I am starting this here

Kitty
    That is a great idea but I think execution would be real tuff to do at all of the different events. I am sure if Kitty was at all the events it could work. I think you would do an excellent job with it.

That being said I think the way to have a consistent competitor briefing that the information given out could be controlled and consistent would be to make a video and have it available from the GSSF website and also running on a loop on an lap top or flat screen TV near the registration table.

I nominate you to be the instructor in the video and volunteer to help make this happen, I can come inn a couple days early for the Orlando event and we can create it then. It would be great to do an Range officer briefing also for prospective volunteers to to view prior to the live Briefing,

You could start out with reinforcing the 3 simple rules of safety, Explain and show the sign for the safe area to handle guns and explain this is the place to handle the gun and NEVER any ammo. Show a picture of registration table and explain what to do there ,Show a picture of the amourers Sign and explain what his purpose is. Have an RO standing next to you in his Blue shirt and hat and explain if they have any questions or concerns then can ask them. Next bring them up to a squading sheet and explain how to sign in and what to expect. Explain to sign in at every table. Maybe next explain that this could be a good time to load magazines and then also explain how many magazines they should have and why they should have at least 4 but they can shoot with only one and then bring them to gunny match and explain this is where to shoot off the first shot jitters.

Then bring them back to the table and show them how to let them know you are back and ready to shoot. and then walk them thru approaching the table and who command you should be under and when to handle the gun and what they should be doing. Also this would be an excellent time to cover
    what the acceptable stances/holds should be and what a finger out of the trigger guard should look like .

I could go on but I think you have the idea.

Gary could film it for us and we Can use my son John as the sample shooter

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Years ago, Chris and Scott used to give a "new" shooter meeting at 9:00am at every match. Their presentations were very consistent. Later, a looped video was available to watch. I guess new shooters were not interested in watching the video. I liked it best when Chris and Scott gave the meeting because it allowed new shooters to ask questions.:wavey:

3. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I watched those guys at the beginning of a match and don't see how they would have the time to do it at that time and I also don't think any of the new shooters will be thru the registration by that time.

I know for sure when I first started I would have watched a video to learn more of how it was done.I watched every video on utube I could find on GSSF Seen allot of people shooting but no one explaining what was happening

4. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

You'll also have plenty of newbies who won't show up at 9. They'll show up at 10, or 11, or maybe mid-afternoon. And then again on Sunday.

At an IDPA match or something, everybody is pretty much required to be there at the same time, the START time. If start time there is 10AM, you don't show up at noon and still get to shoot. Sorry Charlie, you missed out. At GSSF, you can just show up whenever.

I can see managing that (newcoming brief) being difficult to organize at GSSF matches. The rules are there, ask questions online, show up and watch, then shoot. No biggie.

5. PM720

PM720

That's why a video playing in a loop would be the more practical solution.

Scott

6. SARDG

SARDG

Larry- Thanks for your post and interest in this type of training. I’ve been trying to gauge lately, just how much interest there would be in a new shooter brief. My efforts for the last few months have concentrated more on an RO briefing, but I also recognize the need for that new shooter brief.

I can appreciate a looping video (which could also be available online), but see that as yet another potential opportunity-missed by new shooters. Where/when would it loop? In the registration area where frequently the long lines of confused shooters wait and socialize and which often ‘starts’ inside but winds its way outside for dozens of linear feet? In a separate covered area with power – which may or may not be available at all at a GSSF venue? Viewership of a passive video would require the mindset that it is a requirement and that the new shooter doesn’t already ‘know it all’. It would be best shown in a physical location separate from the bustling crowd or so much will be missed as to make the video less than worthwhile anyway.

Ron’s suggestions to read the existing material online and to ask questions requires new shooters to be pro-active and take some initiative. Some do… most don’t! Simply having the material available to access is not the answer for the masses. As for asking questions – most new shooters don’t even know what they don’t know so it’s impossible to ask all the right questions. Let’s take reshoots as an example… why would a competitor ask for a reshoot if they don’t even realize the option is on the table? They’ll just tap-rack their way through it as in IDPA or when you are out of alibis in steel or other disciplines. They don’t know enough or may even be too intimidated or embarrassed to ask the right questions.

I’ve assembled a PowerPoint presentation (for RO training at this point, but New Shooter is in the works) that can easily loop and content be changed at any time when necessary. I see any looping static presentation as a poor substitute for instructor-led presentations, but it could act as fill during the long day(s). Indeed, the walk-up policy can be a difficult one when it comes to getting new shooters trained. Not so with RO training as they are always asked to be at the venue at 0800 (for a briefing that nearly never begins until 0830 or later). Like Larry said, the GSSF folks are a little busy in the AM.

Because the GSSF Staff is frequently otherwise-occupied, I am willing to conduct both the RO and New Shooter Briefs at the matches I attend. That is at least, a start. I’m an NRA (Pistol) Instructor, obviously have a good understanding of the GSSF rules and have experience as a GSSF shooter and experience and formal training as an RSO/RO/SO at many disciplines and have RO’ed on public ranges, and for military & law enforcement. Although GSSF won’t fully accept my offer because of potential liability issues, I did give my RO briefing once so far, at the GSSF in Reevesville at the request of the Owner/Rangemaster of the venue itself. It went well, but the GSSF Rangemaster also gave a short brief so the two presentations were not coordinated. Not much I can do except start this journey with small steps.

If any of you reading this are behind this training initiative you may want to mention it to the GSSF Staff at your next match. Just think… a day could come when we aren’t all occupied typing in the GT/GSSF perennial favorite – “GSSF Squadding Doesn’t Work

7. SARDG

SARDG

Gary is actually a still photographer I believe, as opposed to videographer.

I'm a stickler for production values and personally handle final QA (Quality Assurance) for my small (media) business. If this ever takes off, GSSF should hire a production company to get it done.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  8. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I figured still and video almost the same he would just have to keep hitting the button

And I am sincere in thinking we can film something at the Orlando event

9. SARDG

SARDG

...and that's why I'm the QA PITA in my company! :whistling:

I'm going to gather some stills while I'm at Dawsonville so that I can use them in the RO and New Shooter briefings. A picture's worth a thousand words. I have those few stills that Gary took of me ROing in Orlando and most of them show exactly some of the things I talk about. Glad to see I follow my own advice. ;)

Once I get an operational proof of concept in PowerPoint (and GSSF lets me use it), we can revisit video.

10. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

And a lot of the ones who don't bother to do that? You could personally lead around by the nose and they would still ignore you.

Your point about "available to the masses"... It's hard to have sympathy for people who want to be involved in an organized sport and have no clue what the deal is.

Yes, it's possible to come out and just have fun, at which point all the worry about "rules" and such might be overwhelming.

11. SARDG

SARDG

Sometimes you are even more pragmatic than moi! :rofl:

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Perhaps a video, of high enough quality to meet Kitty's demanding professional standards, could be produced and put on the GSSF sight (perhaps linked or embedded here?) so new shooters wishing to view it could avail themselves to the information offered.

Perhaps a similar such video, and one that was RO specific, could be sent to the host ranges for viewing prior to the match.

Less work intensive, at least we could get photos of the correct starting/ready positions and post them. That way, people can't cheat and say, "I didn't know I couldn't start from high ready with my finger on the trigger. Does that give me some sort of advantage?"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  13. SARDG

SARDG

GSSF needs to hire a professional production house to produce those videos. THe producers will need to sit down for several days with GSSF SMEs (subject matter experts) and a shot list and script will have to be developed. The SMEs will have to be onsite during shooting and work closely with the production company. Undoubtably, some (perhaps most) scenes will have to be staged.

Can anyone see this happening soon??

GSSF shouldn't (and I hope wouldn't) put YouTube-quality crap (pardon me) on their website.

14. stak

stak

misunderestimated, this is a great suggestion as to how to actually implement this. There has been a lot of talk about what and why, but not how. I'm a big fan of the how.

I am thinking of something like the long lines at Disneyland for the rides where they have screens running with the little intro and safety briefing. Then after you sign in you have the in person presentation and a Q&A.

One for the RO staff would definitely need to be done with a video, live demonstration and Q&A. In my opinion this one is actually more important since if you have knowledgeable staff they will deliver a great experience to the members. Again, going back to Disneyland, they don't assume that you know anything about the ride or it's function so they explain it to you, every time, and are there to help guide you through it if necessary.

15. mdisher

mdisher

One of the things I've seen done at other matches that could possibly work:

New shooters would have to be flagged on their stickers, score sheets, etc, and simply inform them that they *must* start at a particular stage.

Pick one, Glock 'M, 5 To Glock, Plates. Tell them to sign up there, and identify themselves as a new shooter. Then have an RO ready/willing and able to do a new shooter orientation with them as they show up or in small groups.

Depending upon the number of new shooters this could be easy or not.

16. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

I have never seen anyone being DQ'd at a GSSF match (though I have see plenty of shooters that deserved it). In fact, when serving as an RO for GSSF (which I have done for several years) we have been SPECIFICALLY told not to DQ any competitor for any safety infraction.

17. SARDG

SARDG

Not to be a killjoy... but what the heck. It's the 'able' part that worries me.

As you can see from a couple of active threads, we have a real problem with ROs knowing the rules themselves.

18. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

...or express lanes for experienced shooters that have all their gear ready and the right mags loaded...:whistling:

19. SARDG

SARDG

I doubt if GSSF is heavy-handed with the DQs, but DannyR was DQ'ed once. In the real (competition) world there are 2 kinds of competitors - those who have been DQ'ed and those who will be.

I would be certain that GSSF would have the final DQ word, but blatant safety violations should be reported to the RM.

20. SARDG

SARDG

That's the first good idea you've had all day. :cool: