Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

competition electronics prochrono

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by themighty9mm, Sep 18, 2012.

1. themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    Based on reviews I ordered one of these. Found it was slightly cheaper on ebay than the deal on midway, all things considered tax and shipping. Paid $105 for it shipped.

I have never used a chrono before, but have always wondered what my loads are doing exactly. Also I'm getting more involved with rifle loading as of late and thought it to be a good idea to go aheads and get one.

So what all do I need to know about this thing? anything else I need to get for it? What distance should I be shooting at with it? how much of a concern is lighting? I will be mostly using it at an outdoor range but on occasion indoors. Did I do ok for my first chronograph? Anything else I should know?
  2. Well, when you receive it... RTFM. :embarassed:
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

3. sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    I've had that chrony for several years. I've shot a bunch with it & even get readings with a pellet gun. The 1st order is to make sure you know where your gun is shooting & shoot the bullet in the center of the uprights. Don't shoot the chrony. You may want to protect the front LED if shooting ammo with a sabot or wad, M-L or shotgun slugs.

I bought a cheap camera tripod to hold it up while shooting. The only time I knew I had bad readings were on a bright sunny day. I like 'filtered sunlight' the best.
  4. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001

It will not work indoors under fluorescent lighting. The 60 cycle AC flicker is stronger than the bullet passing by and you will not get usable readings.
  5. themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    Rtfm? Read the manual? Yea, I havnt received it yet. Diddnt know it would be an issue to ask?
  6. It's just that...

But as to what else you could get for it... the PC interface and the remote control. I have both, but a laptop may be used for a remote control and a remote (big screen) readout with the PC interface.

ETA: OR go here to download and read the manual before yours arrives:
  7. themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    lmao fair enough. Was just hoping to get info before hand as I know to read the manual. That much is obvious. Just excited about a new toy.
  8. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Nothing to it. That is an extremely intuitive chronograph to operate. Plug in a battery and set up the diffusers and off you go. I have used one for several years.

Some guys replaced the metal diffuser rods with wood dowels. That is good idea. I shot my metal rods and it shook the living snot out of the unit.