close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Compensating Glocks

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ConnorAndrews, Jan 31, 2013.

1. ConnorAndrews

ConnorAndrews

Jan 24, 2013
    Woodstock, GA
    Hey guys I have a few questions, 1. Is is possible to have somebody put compensation ports in a G23 slide and barrel? Or do I have to buy a G23C? 2. Is a compensated barrel worth it?

Thanks for the help.

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    Back in the days when you couldn't buy this kind of stuff over-the-counter from your favorite manufacturer, the place to go for these types of modifications was Mag-na-port International.

Go down near the bottom of the page at the first link for a description of their "Autoporting" for autoloading pistols:

http://www.magnaport.com/hgun.html

http://www.magnaport.com/misc.html

3. Paxmo

Paxmo

Jan 2, 2013
  4. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Recommend getting a third party extended ported barrel.
    You don't need to punch holes in the slide and can swap barrels easily.
    Also you might consider the new barrel in a different caliber just for fun.
    I find the 357 Sig high pressure high velocity round works
    particularly well with a ported barrel.
    [​IMG]

5. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    You have 4 viable options here

1. Lone Wolf does a C style porting to barrel and slide. Magna does a variation on this and both would be good choices. Mas Ayoob had his Beretta ported by Magna.

2. Buy a threaded barrel and a compensator like a 4 port from Jager Products or another company that sells a good quality comp that just screws on.

3. Buy an extended ported barrel from Lone Wolf, Storm Lake, and other companies that offer them.

4. Buy a C model Glock.

Weigh the costs and benefits of all these options then make a decisions. I have been shooting these options for about 10 years and I am one of if not the biggest proponent of compensated guns on this site. The Glock C models, XD V10 series, a 1911 with a Wilson Combat compensator, to name a few. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

:50cal:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    You can find just about anyone with a mill, EDM, etc to cut the slide and run a ported barrel or run a threaded barrel and comp if you really want to make a big change.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    I'd just get a C model, if you think you shoot well enough to benefit from porting.

8. ss30378

ss30378

Mar 14, 2012
    Alabama
    TSAX pointed out your main 4 options and #2 will be the most effective for cutting felt recoil. Full comps are larger and can redirect more gas than a ported barrel so they have more effect. Have you tried running a heavier recoil spring? I did that for my pedal to the metal loads and felt recoil dropped noticeably. Once you go with comp/porting things get rather noisy and will have to drop recoil spring pressure with a comped gun as well.

9. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    No noticeable noise increase to the shooter, nor need to change RSA, in a factory C model.

10. ss30378

ss30378

Mar 14, 2012
    Alabama
    This has not been my experience (noise wise)... The lighter recoil spring only applies for the large threaded comps. Not the ported/c models.

11. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    maybe a good question to ask is what results are you looking for from running a comp or ports? increasing slide speed will reduce felt recoil, won't do anything to change the amount of recoil unless you figure out a way to work around physics, but the incresed speed will make the recoil impulse occur over a shorter time interval.

12. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

May 10, 2002
    No discernible noise difference to the shooter with a factory c model. But ther can be to a bystander.

13. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    I am also using the LW ported .357 Sig barrel in my G27. I bought it because I could. I have no perceptible problems controlling my G27 in 9mm .40 cal. or .357 Sig.

Does it make a difference? I don't really know. I am not very sensitive to recoil and actually find little difference firing any of these three rounds in my pistol. I like the versatility.

Would I buy a ported barrel again? Sure, why not? I like all the calibers in my pistol and would select ported again without reservations.

As I said, I am not particularly sensitive to recoil, and I am now carrying a 4" .357 Magnum Chiappa Rhino, because it is so tame to shoot with any load I have used. with no muzzle flip. It's fun too. (I added this for clarification of my comments)

It adds more fun just because it is different.

I have shot a factory ported G22C and it was a very good experience.

14. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    TSAX's post nailed it. I would recommend option #3. That will be your best bang for the buck. But it will not be carry friendly, if your G23 is your carry gun. If you want compensation ports and you want to carry it, I'd recommend selling your G23 and picking up a G23C. That will probably be the most wallet friendly means to get what you want.

15. AR15 guy

AR15 guy

Feb 26, 2005
    WV
    How much of a difference does the porting make?

16. PVolk

PVolk

Oct 2, 2009
    Michigan
    The benefit is small, but evident. I prefer compensated Glocks, but it's not a deal breaker by any means.

I found that adding weight to the muzzle was a much more effective way to reduce muzzle flip. I have a thread-on compensator on my G24 and a flashlight on my G23c, and the addition of those parts made a HUGE difference in felt recoil and muzzle rise. Possibly more noticable with .40s&w though being that it's known for being snappy.

17. AR15 guy

AR15 guy

Feb 26, 2005
    WV
    I have been wanting to pick up an x300 for awhile, but I keep buying other stuff instead. Maybe I'll get around to getting a light soon

18. AR15 guy

AR15 guy

Feb 26, 2005
    WV
    I have been wanting to pick up an x300 for awhile, but I keep buying other stuff instead. Maybe I'll get around to getting a light soon.