Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Comparing Zoom on camcorders (apples to apples)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hickok45, Dec 7, 2010.

1. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

Oct 17, 1999
    I'm shopping for a HD camcorder. We have a 25X optical zoom on our Sony Handycam, and we make use of it, as you all who have seen my videos know.

Well, it seems the better the camera I start to get excited about, the lower the zoom. One fairly expensive camera I'm growing fond of is the Canon HF 21, but it has a 10 X optical zoom. I see some much less expensive cameras with 60X optical zoom?

A fellow at one shop told me he's compared some of these "high-zoom" cameras with "lower zoom" cameras, and he could not tell any difference. duh?

Anyway, as if all the other format compatibility issues are not enough to drive one silly; the zoom should be pretty evident, shouldn't it. 10 X should mean 10 times and 25X should mean that the camera will zoom more than twice what the 10X does, provided it's optical zoom?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Jul 3, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Are you editing your footage? If so, what software?

Is this an MPEG4 camera?
    Optical soom is ALWAYS better.
    Beware of cameras boasting "digital zoom"
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010

3. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

Oct 17, 1999
    Yes, I guess it's an Mpeg4 camera, you'd say - not HD. We've been using Winudows Movie Maker, but we'll need to upgrade when we go HD. Yeah, I was aware of the digital zoom claims, but my current camera is 25X Optical Zoom, and I just think it's curious that a zoom this powerful is so rare on newer HD cameras.