close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Common Sense = Buy Now??

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by dbow, Dec 20, 2012.

1. dbow

dbow

Jun 10, 2012
    AR rifles are selling like wildfire for over $1000 per gun. Resale of AR guns now is about HALF of what they are selling for because the gun stores know that AWB is a possibility.

Why would you buy a gun that you might not be able to use for hunting or shooting at all? A gun that would earn you a felony if you were caught shooting so much as a ****ing squirrel? Or buy a gun that will lose it's value the day you buy it.

Sounds like a big ole pissing match to me. I'm selling my AR, and buying bolts. It ain't worth it.

2. well if your goal is to make money, you buy low and sell high. So now is the time to sell AR15's or any other slightly evil looking semi auto and their magazines.

However you are wrong on the hunting aspect. AR15's are legal for hunting in most states. Pennsylvania is the only one I know of that totally bans semi auto's for hunting.

Here in VA I can hunt squirrels with an AR15 and a 30 round mag if I want. For deer and bear the gun has to be at least .23 caliber. So I built a custom AR15 in .25-223 wildcat.

Here is a picture of my daughter hunting with it.

[​IMG]

3. Electrikkoolaid

Electrikkoolaid Grape flavored!

Mar 1, 2010
    Because many people believe that during times of civil unrest or economic collapse, an evil black rile is the best tool to keep the balance of power between the governed. and the government. from shifting too sharply.

The rest remember the days of $100 Glock 17 mags and are speculating.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  4. Pilotdude3407

Pilotdude3407

Nov 25, 2012
    West GA
    They aren't retroactively banning ARs! While I don't think it is smart to pay double for guns and mags, I understand what is happening. Everyone is trying to flood the market with as many of these before a ban comes...if it does come. Also, a lot of people are trying to buy what's they can in hopes of turning it for a profit. If you buy it above the price to sell it even higher is a real gamble because if it doesn't go through and the prices settle down, then your investment is a flop. I personally got the 10 pack of PMags from brownells to stock up and really wasn't trying to resale but after seeing 5 PMags on gunbroker go for twice what I payed for 10, it really makes me think about letting 5 go. This is getting way out of hand anyway you look at it.

5. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    The .300blk, 6.5grendel, .458socom, .30ossm, .50 beuwolf, various wssm cartridges and other wildcats have all made the AR platform a more viable hunting weapon. It is not leagal to hunt with in my state as well as several others but I see the appeal.

It is just too bad there are too many people in this country who cannot see that punishing everyone for the actions of a few is highly stupid. That lack of thinking power is even more apparent with many of the fools that draft and pass legislation. This affects the gun industry because the people fear the worst and want to buy before its gone and/or you can't get it anymore.

6. dbow

dbow

Jun 10, 2012
    Maybe it's just me but i'm also a little pissed about the fact that our gun industry has pushed the envelope as far as AR's are concerned. Last night (while i was cleaning my AR) i was watching gun channel tv and all i saw was these huge muscle bound dudes running and gunning, big **** women shooting as fast as they can, and fancy ammo commercials. To me that is not the profile of the AR. I much like the hunting pic of the little girl shooting her first deer with an AR. Instead we see "zombie" ammo commercials?! What the **** is that?

The gun industry has been selling these guns for a grand for the last 5 years so i don't see how one could make a profit. If you buy a gun for $1100, then it gets banned, who in their right mind would buy it for more? Mags i could see making a profit, but not guns.

7. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    There have a lot of ridiculous posts this week, but this one is near the top of the list. ;)

8. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Not many at all are predicting that ARs already in current ownership are going to be banned. Just like in 1994 the AWB will not be retroactive. Hunting with one is not gonna be a felony.

9. GSSF17

GSSF17 ...2 of 'em

Jan 25, 2009
    Central FL
    Everybody has their tinfoil hat on, right? :rofl:.

If you have not/could not see this (panic garbage) coming, then I can recommend a good set of binoculars for next time.

10. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Mar 13, 2001
    Behind the Green door
    I started buying in November because I knew that the first mass shooting would lead to this...It'snot about protecting people it's about establishing power and getting money so they can be re elected.

11. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Jun 23, 2006
    Houston
    Uh, what? I bet my local gun shop would pay nicely for just about any AR used, as they could have sold it in about 3 seconds since every AR (and that's a LOT) that was in the store on Saturday is gone, save for a $2700 Les Baer. I bet I could get just about MSRP in trade in if I wanted to. Buuuuuuut I don't.

12. Poosie :rofl:

13. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Hell no!

14. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    If it's like the last AWB, they'll do their best to ban production or import of any more AR/AK/"scary assault looking" rifles for civilian ownership and magazines >10 rounds. All the stuff we currently have (or that was produced before the new law), remains civilian legal.

OTOH, with republicans still in control of the House, there's a chance a new AWB won't get passed the House...and then it's just business as usual.

Another aspect I haven't seen mentioned is if (as they're talking about) they ban 100 (or was it hundreds?) rifles by name, i.e. "Bushmaster", then I suspect that's going to bad news for employees of all the manufacturers that get banned by name. What do you think happens to a company when their customer base is cut from "everyone" to police and .mil contracts? Some will go out of business. Others will cut back considerably on staff. Worst economy since the Great Depression, but lets put a bunch more people out of work.

15. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    I wasn't even gonna read this thread but I am so glad I did. That is some of the most goofball stuff I have heard in the last week. "Not even going to be able to use your rifle" Epic, look for the OP to be Keith Olberman and the Ed Show later.

16. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    Common sense would have been to buy one 5 years ago if you wanted one...

17. Durden

Durden

Oct 5, 2010

Really? Wow. Your LGS is screwing you hard. Use lube.

My FFL and I were speaking last night (he's also a friend of mine) and he told me he had buyers for either one of my ARs (a LMT w/SOPMOD or Colt 6920) for a minimum of $2000.

This guy is the go-to FFL in the area for hard to find items and special requests, and sells a metric ton load of firearms annually. He can't keep up with the calls and requests. He can't even get lowers or BCGs right now - he said this is 10x as insane as he's ever seen things.

He knew I almost certainly wouldn't sell, but wanted to relay that he literally can't find ARs right now and that there are a ton of law abiding, upstanding citizens who are clamoring to find an AR right now and willing to pay a lot of money for it since they view the politicians as opportunistic scumbags.

18. suburbanhillbilly

suburbanhillbilly

Dec 8, 2012
    Or build some...:whistling:

19. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

Jan 17, 2012
    I think people are buying like crazy because they want to be grandfathered in. Same reason they are buying mags like crazy. I doubt many are buying with the intention of re-selling and making a huge profit. They just want to have one. The administration is pushing hard on this. It's no secret anymore. We'll know in about a month what is going to go down. And if Obama announces that he will be pursuing a ban of any kind, don't expect to find an AR or hi-cap rifle of any kind – too late at that point. So buying right now, if you don't already have a rifle, is the smartest thing to do, within reason of course. But you're just a fool if you pay $2000 or $3000 for a $800 rifle. JMO.

20. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Buy Now = Late to the Dance. There is not enough jail space for real bad people. They can't afford to house and feed the evil tax payers. No income = no new jails or registration schemes.