close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Committing to the Boston Marathon!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by kestrou, Aug 22, 2005.

1. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Jul 3, 2000
    In The Pocket
    Well, I've always heard that "publicly stating your objectives" is a great way to help you achieve them, so here goes! ;f

I've been a runner for about 20 years, and have run a few marathons - but those have always been "for fun" - especially when I'm in costume! :)

But, amongst "real runners", you're not a "real runner" unless you've run Boston - because you have to qualify for it. Having just turned 40, my qualification time is now 3:20 and I think that's on the edge of my abilities - so I'm going to attempt it this fall so I can "go to the parade" at Boston next spring.

Usually my training for a fall marathon involves just long-slow-distance, because track work and interval running are hard work! :) But now that I have to get serious, I'm one week into a 17-week schedule I laid out and I'm busting butt on the track and working harder than I ever have.

So, there you go guys, wish me luck and any suggestions you have on making it to the big dance would be appreciated! ^c

kestrou

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999

3. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Jul 3, 2000
    In The Pocket
    Did my LSD (Long Slow Distance) this morning - 13 miles and it was a great run! Pace for my LSD is 8:00/mile, but I'm doing the last 20% of the LSD at "race pace" - so first 10.5 miles was actually at 7:50/mile and last 2.5 was at 7:23/mile (and had a hill - ouch!) which is significantly faster than the 7:38 pace I need to qualify.

Been doing quite a bit of repeats on the track and "tempo runs" (race pace or faster) at distances up to 7 miles - can definitely tell my fitness level has improved. Not ready to say I'm in the best running shape of my life - but pretty good for "an old man"! ;f

kestrou

4. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Aug 2, 1999
  5. Hey CaliforniaJack,
    Check your meil box. GT says your box is full.

Gary

6. mhill

mhill

Dec 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Good luck Kestrou!! I'm pulling for you. Let us know when you qualify. I've just taken biking back up after a long hyatus. I've only been out a few times and I "still got it"!!! I'm really enjoying this. I forgot how much fun biking is. I use to run until an injury caught up with me and I just can't do it anymore.

Hey I'll race you sometime. I'll be on the bike though. ;f

7. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Jul 3, 2000
    In The Pocket
    mhill,

Thanks buddy! I'm training very seriously and can already tell my fitness level is up a few notches. Cranked out a 5K in a hair under 20 minutes (OK, 19:57 - but that counts! ;f) Wednesday evening and I haven't been able to do that in years.

We're like fine wine - getting better with age!

I don't know about that bike business though. Ever since I heard a few years ago about it cutting off blood flow to the p-e-n-i-s I haven't been on one! ;e

kestrou