close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Commander Carry?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by doc540, Jul 20, 2011.

1. doc540

doc540

Apr 25, 2007
    Deep SE Texas
    Maybe a Combat Commander is ok for carry instead of an Officers or Defender.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. I carry an STI Ranger II which is Commander-Sized. Rides just find in a CompTac M-Tac holster.

3. dewidmt

dewidmt Gunaholic

May 25, 2007
    Southern Indiana
  4. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I carry a NN commander daily when not on the road. I carry in an Occidental Phoenix Stronghold which I have plugged plenty on this board.

5. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
    I carried my 1991 Colt Commander as CCW for 3 years as CCW. Worked OK, got tired of the weight, ended up with a Glock 36 and have been using that since 2005. BIG weight difference and more comfortable. Never have owned an alloy/aluminum framed 1911:crying:

6. I just picked up a bobtailed Colt LW. It will replace the combat commander that I've owned sense 74. With a top quality holster, it makes carrying so much more comfortable.

7. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I tried the Commander thing twice. Didn't do anything for me.

Feels as heavy as a 5", but doesn't shoot near as smooth.

8. I never understood the attractions of commander sized guns either. For me the grip is the hard part to conceal. If it is the same as a full sized, I would just rather carry a full sized. Of course I don't own a bob tail.....

9. doc540

doc540

Apr 25, 2007
    Deep SE Texas
    Holster position helps with concealment.

10. I must admit I carry a steel Commander these days which I carry in a shoulder holster so the weight does not bother me and the loaded extra mags under the other armpit balance it out. I bought it at the end of 2007 and have only changed the grips on it as it came with nice wood grips and grips can take a hit on a carry gun.

[​IMG]

I tried smaller guns and still have and love to shoot several, but I live in a more rual environment. The last "bad thing" I blasted was a rabid skunk at about 40 yards. Often I will toss a little guy in a coat pocket when I go out and get the mail. Below, for launching .45 ACP in small guns, a Colt Defender, a Glock 36, and an AMT 45 Backup. The AMT is the smallest and the Glock the lightest. If I lived in a more urban area I would probably carry one of these.

[​IMG]

11. I carried a Colt LW Commander in .38 Super for a number of years, but that was long ago (before Kimber started making 1911s).

Today, I think there are better choices for carry, and better choices for the range, but if you can only afford a single pistol, the Commander size guns are a viable compromise for both uses.

12. There was a time when canted holsters weren't available. Back then a 5" gun was more of an issue when sitting, and yes that 3/4" did make a big difference.

These days, with the advent of better holsters, and well engineered 3" guns, I find the Commander sized guns to be a good option only for those who want (or can only afford) a single pistol for both range and carry.

13. Forgot to mention the rounded grip on Commander size guns. Years ago I shot a friends Brown Kobra Carry and bobbed Colt Commander and didn't care for the grip. Last year I found a 10mm Dan Wesson for my Christmas present and like it.

[​IMG]

Of course I sold my Colt Delta with brass and reloading dies years ago, so now I am building a new pile of brass and already have a new set of 10mm dies. Last week I also put about a hundred rounds through a friends new carry gun, a S&W E series in Commander size with bobbed grip. Nice gun. I could see it as a future carry.

14. Commander sized guns balance better for me and point more naturally. I really like full sized 1911's, but I love the commander sized ones.

Never really had any problem concealing any pistol. Carried a Glock 22 for over a year. Not a big deal.

15. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Dec 26, 2003
    NE Ohio
    On my frame (5'8, 170, size 32), I can easily carry a steel commander all day (VM2 and Rawhide Gunleather belt). I occasionally shift it depending on what I am doing though. Usually 5 o'clock, but sometimes 4 o'clock, with my spare mag OWB weak side near the small of my back. When I am sitting, I would definitely notice the extra .75" of muzzle.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  16. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX

Why do you have that Ed Brown for sale??

That is a righteous 1911 and if you can comfortably carry it, why get rid of it?:faint:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  17. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    He is going back to General Glocking.:tongueout:

18. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Yeah, I heard he sold it to fund a G37, G38 and G39. He's going all GAP. :rofl:

19. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

Dec 30, 2007
    Tennessee
    My Normal EDC. Wilson Elite Professional Lightweight Bobtail in .38 Super

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....but I have been testing this bad little dude for the last week and change, and have been really impressed....Dan Wesson CCO

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011