close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Commander Carry?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by doc540, Jul 20, 2011.

1. doc540

doc540

Maybe a Combat Commander is ok for carry instead of an Officers or Defender.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. ProCarryNAustin

ProCarryNAustin

I carry an STI Ranger II which is Commander-Sized. Rides just find in a CompTac M-Tac holster.

3. dewidmt

dewidmt Gunaholic

LW Commander even more so......

4. 20South

20South

I carry a NN commander daily when not on the road. I carry in an Occidental Phoenix Stronghold which I have plugged plenty on this board.

5. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

I carried my 1991 Colt Commander as CCW for 3 years as CCW. Worked OK, got tired of the weight, ended up with a Glock 36 and have been using that since 2005. BIG weight difference and more comfortable. Never have owned an alloy/aluminum framed 1911:crying:

6. 71Commander

71Commander

I just picked up a bobtailed Colt LW. It will replace the combat commander that I've owned sense 74. With a top quality holster, it makes carrying so much more comfortable.

7. samuse

samuse

I tried the Commander thing twice. Didn't do anything for me.

Feels as heavy as a 5", but doesn't shoot near as smooth.

8. lawdog734

lawdog734

I never understood the attractions of commander sized guns either. For me the grip is the hard part to conceal. If it is the same as a full sized, I would just rather carry a full sized. Of course I don't own a bob tail.....

9. doc540

doc540

Holster position helps with concealment.

10. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

Commander carry? Yep.

[​IMG]

11. dakota1911

dakota1911

I must admit I carry a steel Commander these days which I carry in a shoulder holster so the weight does not bother me and the loaded extra mags under the other armpit balance it out. I bought it at the end of 2007 and have only changed the grips on it as it came with nice wood grips and grips can take a hit on a carry gun.

[​IMG]

I tried smaller guns and still have and love to shoot several, but I live in a more rual environment. The last "bad thing" I blasted was a rabid skunk at about 40 yards. Often I will toss a little guy in a coat pocket when I go out and get the mail. Below, for launching .45 ACP in small guns, a Colt Defender, a Glock 36, and an AMT 45 Backup. The AMT is the smallest and the Glock the lightest. If I lived in a more urban area I would probably carry one of these.

[​IMG]

12. CMG

CMG

I carried a Colt LW Commander in .38 Super for a number of years, but that was long ago (before Kimber started making 1911s).

Today, I think there are better choices for carry, and better choices for the range, but if you can only afford a single pistol, the Commander size guns are a viable compromise for both uses.

13. CMG

CMG

There was a time when canted holsters weren't available. Back then a 5" gun was more of an issue when sitting, and yes that 3/4" did make a big difference.

These days, with the advent of better holsters, and well engineered 3" guns, I find the Commander sized guns to be a good option only for those who want (or can only afford) a single pistol for both range and carry.

14. dakota1911

dakota1911

Forgot to mention the rounded grip on Commander size guns. Years ago I shot a friends Brown Kobra Carry and bobbed Colt Commander and didn't care for the grip. Last year I found a 10mm Dan Wesson for my Christmas present and like it.

[​IMG]

Of course I sold my Colt Delta with brass and reloading dies years ago, so now I am building a new pile of brass and already have a new set of 10mm dies. Last week I also put about a hundred rounds through a friends new carry gun, a S&W E series in Commander size with bobbed grip. Nice gun. I could see it as a future carry.

15. ProCarryNAustin

ProCarryNAustin

Commander sized guns balance better for me and point more naturally. I really like full sized 1911's, but I love the commander sized ones.

Never really had any problem concealing any pistol. Carried a Glock 22 for over a year. Not a big deal.

16. Hokie1911

Hokie1911 >

On my frame (5'8, 170, size 32), I can easily carry a steel commander all day (VM2 and Rawhide Gunleather belt). I occasionally shift it depending on what I am doing though. Usually 5 o'clock, but sometimes 4 o'clock, with my spare mag OWB weak side near the small of my back. When I am sitting, I would definitely notice the extra .75" of muzzle.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  17. samuse

samuse

Why do you have that Ed Brown for sale??

That is a righteous 1911 and if you can comfortably carry it, why get rid of it?:faint:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  18. 20South

20South

He is going back to General Glocking.:tongueout:

19. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Yeah, I heard he sold it to fund a G37, G38 and G39. He's going all GAP. :rofl:

20. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

My Normal EDC. Wilson Elite Professional Lightweight Bobtail in .38 Super

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

....but I have been testing this bad little dude for the last week and change, and have been really impressed....Dan Wesson CCO

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011