close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Commander being persnickety!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by G26AZ, Sep 14, 2012.

1. G26AZ

G26AZ

Aug 16, 2001
    Arizona
    Went to the range today with my Colt (LW) Commander. It has been plated with NP3+ by Robar, and also received the "reliability" package at the same time. On the two previous trips since being plated, everything worked fine.

Today, however, I started to notice problems. I was using McCormick SS 8 rnd magazines (the kind with rubber bumpers on the base), and Winchester 230 gr PDX1 ammo. I noticed that the slide was not locking back after the last round. I thought this was strange but continued to shoot. Then it started to jam (not feeding all the way up into the chamber) and I noticed that the slide stop was working its way out the left side of the gun!

This is my 1st 1911, and am still learning the ins and outs of proper care and feeding of the 1911, so I am wondering where to start in looking for the reason for this?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. If it something mechanical, I plan on taking it back to Robar's and asking them to fix it, but would like to have an idea of what is wrong before I do that.

Thank you for your help in advance!
    John

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    My guess is the "reliability package" is the problem.

3. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Check the plunger spring and plungers, check to see if the plunger tube is loose.

4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i used to have junk i mean persnickety guns, then i wised up and got rid of them....

5. Agreed, also check that the rnd isn't bumping the slide stop.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  7. Also check if there is any copper fouling on stop, if plunger is alright try different mags and get a new Colt slide stop and try that.

Robar has done a couple of mine, have had no problems with, If I was you I would definitely give robar a shout.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  8. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

Apr 28, 2002
    Above ground
    Were those mags working for you before? I've found some 1911s seem to work with any mags any ammo, but others are more selective on the mags and or ammo. Because I have lots of mags from different makers that's the first thing I'd try with the problem you described.

9. G26AZ

G26AZ

Aug 16, 2001
    Arizona

Are Colts now considered to be "junk" guns?

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't had a chance to disassemble it since we got back from the range, but will definitely check out the plunger and tube, etc.

Thank you!

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  11. pistolwrench

pistolwrench Dremel jockey

Jul 27, 2009
    Check to see if the internal lobe of the slide stop has broken off.
    Not uncommon with Colt slide stops.

12. G26AZ

G26AZ

Aug 16, 2001
    Arizona
    I took it apart, cleaned it, inspected all the suggested parts and areas, and it all seems to be working fine now - no more coming apart or mis-feeds,etc.

All I can figure is that I did not get the slide stop all the way in last time I cleaned it, and it worked its way out while shooting last time. If that was the case, then I can guarantee that it will never happen again. I will double and triple check that the slide stop is all the way in every time it is taken apart and re-assembled.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions!