close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Come on Guys!!!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by CC Glock, Oct 17, 2010.

1. We need to get this hunting forum going. It is mid to late October!!!! I know theres got to be some die hard deer hunters on here.

I got something to get this going. What broad heads do you use. Im team SLICK TRICK. I shoot a 100 gr razor trick. Its the only fixed blade broad head i like. It doesnt leave the biggest entrance and exit holes but they are not small either and it gets the job done. The thing i love best about them is that they fly "JUST" like a field point. I like that they are made right here in arkansas also. I have only lost one deer while using them and that was my fault on a bad shoot but i didnt kill it, I see him every now and again but now his is educated.

2. BK63

BK63

Sep 15, 2005
    CT
    I hunt deer one week a year with a shotgun with slugs. I have a sweet spot in the woods. It's a mile walk to it but it's a crossways from all directions and I get one sitting in the same spot every year and I never see anybody in there. Other than that I do a little squirrel plinking with the 22 the rest of the winter. I actually like squirrel hunting more. They are an easier drag out, and you don't have to walk in at 4am in the dark.

3. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    I deer hunt year-round.

I can only shoot them in the fall -- but I'm hunting every day.

I note what they eat and where, the color of their fur and when it changes, how they react when other deer approach, etc., etc.

Two years ago we bought our retirement home and it is out in the boonies so I see lots of critters. Last year was the first time in my life I practiced a "Let Em Walk" philosophy.

I am amazed how much I have learned by not shooting the first deer (or turkey) I see.

We were well over a month into last year's hunt and I had passed up several small bucks...when a big wide 10-pointer showed up.

This year, less than 3 weeks into the seasons, I have seen 9 different small bucks. Several of them multiple times. I'm waiting.

A couple keepers showed up on my trail cams and I spotted a couple before season opened. My wife saw a good one in the yard after season opened. Guess where I was at the time...hunting up on the mountain. Haha.

I am trying a, new to me, 100grn fixed blade New Archery Razorbak. I am yet to test it on a critter but they shoot well. I had been using an expandable but did not like the way it performed on a gobbler.

For many years I used the Razorbak that spun on the shaft. I took several moose with those and they always hit the same as my field points. But I can't seem to find them anymore.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  4. Bustedknee it sounds like you have yourself a honey hole:embarassed:.
    I learned so much also by letting deer walk, i listen to them grunting and the way they comunicate with other deer. I mimick my calling based on what i hear while im watching em. Good luck with the new broad heads.

5. striker6126

striker6126

Jul 3, 2008
    I have used muzzy 100 grain broadheads for years. I have thought about switching to rage to see what all the fuss is about but I see no reason to fix what is not broken.

Bow season has been in Al. for less than a week tomorrow will be my first hunt . Maybe I will have some pics after the hunt.

6. Magnus BH for me out of my recurve. Great flight pattern and a glob of penetrations.

fwiw

Muzzy are not that crack up to what some thinks, the center ferrule is weaker than most other BH design and will split when hitting hard objects.

7. anytime i ever shot muzzy's i had to tune my bow to shoot them which meant i my feild tips weren't on target. Rage's are ok but the slick trick does just as good if not better with their fixed blades and they are cheaper.

8. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

May 13, 2009
    NW AR
    AR her too got tons in my back yard I could stick but they are kindof pets by now I'll go down the road as soon as rifle season opens up!

9. man go grab a bow and get at them early. heck you could shoot off your back porch. I know what you mean about them being pets, my dad lives at lake Norfork and he has tons but wont let me hunt them.

10. striker6126

striker6126

Jul 3, 2008
    I could not produce any pics for this thread today , all I saw was a bobcat and more squirrels than I could count. Maybe this weekend

11. nice pic and one nice backyard

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    Well, I'll toss in some equipment pics CC Glock, since thats been talked about some.

Easton aluminum shafts: 125gr Woodsman on top, and 125gr Magnus II bottom.

[​IMG]

Custom Barred Turkey feather fleching on everything.

[​IMG]

65# Martin Hunter recurve with a custom made Linda Brackenberry 3 strand camo flemish string.

[​IMG]

The whole deal: (upside down in pic ha.)

[​IMG]

Maybe when I get time I'll try and find some bow kill game pics to scan in. ;)

Good hunting boys

CM

13. i have heard good things about the magnus broadheads. they look like they would make one heck of a whole in the old pump house

14. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

They (the magnus) do make a really nice hole and have great penetration and do well against bone as well. (at least the ones I pictured do).

CM

15. JPP

JPP

Aug 12, 2010
    Slic Trick Grizztricks are my broadhead of choice.
    Awesome broadheads.

16. I have to say the are one of the best BH. Every year that I hunt archery and don't get a Deer with stick and string, I shoot a palm tree on my exit. This Palm tree has about 4 BH now that are fully penetrated to the hilt from a Magnus.

Where I practice shoot at ( next to a leeve guard rail ), when I get off target and miss my block, the Magnus would hit this metal structure and only 1st 1/4" of the BH would be damage.

Try the same thing with a Muzzy and you would be finding pieces from the BH.

Just my experience.

Also I found out rear quick that carbon shaft don't hold up nor provide the same penetration as a good aluminum. If I go to my BassPro indoor archery range, and use my std Martin Takedown recurve and shoot a proper arrow with the same broadhead, the metal tubes provides better penetration and fuller depth.

So I personally think the BH and shaft combination is what you really need to get right to get the best penetration. And some times heavier is really better.
    :wavey:

17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002

My friend I agree with ya all the way, top to bottom... ;)

You know me, Mr old fashion. haha. I started when I was real young with the Bear razor BH's, and stuck with them for a very looooong time, and when the Magnus and Zwickey come along I jumped on that band wagon, and I am styin there. haha

In my pic (see above) with the orange colored aluminum shaft and the red barred turkey fleching, do you know that shaft in the pic (i am still using) is almost 27 years old ! It is a Easton XX75 "Autum orange," (no longer made, 'the autum orange' that is) and I have a whole bunch of them turkey fletched and loaded with the Magnus double edged brod head (pictured).

I also have some easton camo shafts that are only 7-8 years old, but the point is the others at almost 27 years old. They have taken deer and everything else, and been banged around and used for practice as well, and still, after all this time their going strong.

LOL on you shooting that palm tree and steel rail. If there was an open season on palm trees you would be lookin good amigo ! haha.

Taking your frustration out on the tree at least feels good don't it ? ! ;)

Your right man, those are really tuff broadheads, and they just don't want to break. They leave a really good cut and good size hole, and whats more "they fly really straight. I am shooting a 31" shaft (long draw length and arms ha) and 5" custom feathers, off the shelf with the best string I have ever used in my life. The Linda Brakenberry 3 strand camo flemish string, custom made for my bow length.

Her husband is dead now, but you might have heard of the Brackenberry recurve and long bows. He made them way back in the day. Excellent bowyer he was. Well, for I guess for almost 20 years his wife makes the custom strings. I call on the phone give the measurments she ask for and she custom builds the string.

Get this. These strings will out last any other string I have ever used by at least ten times, and the serving won't ever seperate or split. They are truly a hand crafted well built string. A good string can make or break arrow performance as you know.

Glad to hear your still using the recurve. It has been several years since you and I were on the phone and such talking about all that. I also am glad to hear your staying with the aluminum shafting and the Magnus brodhead. Great set up amigo...

Well, I'm turing this into a book, so I best jump off here. :wavey:

Watch out for those killer palm trees man ! :supergrin:

Good hunting to ya this season noway..
    Let me hear from ya when ya can bud.

CM

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  18. I heard of these bow before, I think tradtional archery had a few articles in the last 4 years on them all.

Here's my bows in the stable ;)

Martin Hatfield takedown #55lb limbs
    ( looking for #45 limbs )

Grizzy Bear #45

My favorite, a 60" x #60lb Bear Super Kodiak, one of the best factory recurves made imho

All recurve with strings custom built by Champion Custom Archery, shaft are primary aluminum but I also dab around with wooden ( flu-flu ) and carbon for small game.

http://www.recurves.com/

(sorry about the photos quality )

[​IMG]

I think alot of times, we put to much emphasis on the BH and forget about the shaft driving it home to and thru the target.