close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Columbine High School Father 12 years later...

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Sandman_NC, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Sandman_NC

Sandman_NC
    Expand Collapse

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this, hmm? On Thursday,

Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert!

These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness.. The following is a portion of the transcript:

“Since the dawn of creation there has been both good & evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best:

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,

Your words are empty air.

You've stripped away our heritage,

You've outlawed simple prayer.

Now gunshots fill our classrooms,

And precious children die.

You seek for answers everywhere,

And ask the question "Why?"

You regulate restrictive laws,

Through legislative creed.

And yet you fail to understand,

That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc.

Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!

My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"

Darrell Scott

Do what the media did not - - let the nation hear this man's speech. Please send this out to everyone you can.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

This speech was given May 27, 1999, and was covered by the media, though not recently since it was almost 13 years ago. As for the claims he makes, prayer has never been banned from schools and hatred and violence aren't exactly something new as a result of the forbidding of school mandated or led prayers.

3. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

4. Sandman_NC

Sandman_NC
    Expand Collapse

Nothing wrong with checking the facts! Still does not take away from the real message here.... let's focus on that shall we.

5. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

The real message is the problem. It disturbs. So... we are suppose to focus attention elsewhere. Recon why?

6. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

The real message is wrong. We don't need god. More often than not, this idea of a supreme god is at least partly responsible for acts such as these. Nothing more dangerous than trying to figure out what an imaginary diety wants you to do (e.g. the Fort Hood shooting).

7. Japle

Japle
    Expand Collapse
    John, Viera, Fl

As others have said, prayer is not and never has been outlawed in public schools.

But how about the effectiveness of prayer? It seems likely that many of the victims prayed to be saved in the moments before they were shot. Did any being with the power to answer those prayers hear them? If so, why were the prayers ignored and the victims left to suffer and die?

Prayer doesn’t seem to work with any more reliability than blind chance. That being the case, why the effort to promote organized prayer in schools?

8. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

The father in this article got it right... on all counts. If you don't like it, then you will have to dislike it.

9. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Prayer is outlawed in public schools. It is outlawed by the actions of the sc that are used by the public school system to silence prayer. Don't believe it? Just try it in any public school... see how far you get. Let a student try it. Let a parent try it. They can get up and opine on homosexuality, abortion or any other extreme abnormality or outrage and be told it is their right under the first amendment to the COTUS. But let them try to exercise their religious rights and the school system will come down on them.

As to effectiveness... if the public schools systems effectiveness is to be any gauge, then let the students pray. The results will be a vast improvement than the squallor and failure that is the current norm.

As to why students died that day? No where in the Bible does it day that believers are immune to the evil that stalks even school hallways. Even Jesus died at the hands of evil unrestrained. If you want to be freed from a world where evil exist, you will have to invent one. Evil is the norm of the human experience. It is native to man.

10. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

No, it isn't.
    As far as they wish, often to the flagpole.
    No it won't, unless it disrupts the main purpose of the school, education.

11. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

12. Geko45

Geko45
    Expand Collapse
    Smartass Pilot
    CLM

What happens in this imaginary world of yours when I don't agree?

13. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

No, it didn't. I'm afraid you're the one who is misinformed, or simply dishonest.
    I couldn't walk into any local public school for any purpose, they tend to frown on random people doing things like that.
    Schools have rules and standards of behavior, that's hardly surprising. The point is that it is not illegal for students to pray.
    Perhaps you should try actually reviewing the law before pontificating so incorrectly.
    The administration of the school, and if necessary, the courts.
    Are you really arguing that anyone should be allowed to disrupt schools any time the mood strikes them?

#13 Animal Mother, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  14. ksg0245

ksg0245
    Expand Collapse

15. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

You? What you think is irrelevant. Can't see any reason to take what you think into account.

16. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

17. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

Unless it interfered with the instructional purpose of the school or disrupted the education of others, nothing would happen.
    Yes, it's restricted, in that such prayer can't either interfere with the education of students nor take the appearance of endorsing one religion or faith over others, but it isn't forbidden, which was your original contention.

18. ArtificialGrape

ArtificialGrape
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Your earlier claim was that, "Prayer is outlawed in public schools."

I'm not clear, have you backpeddaled from outlawed to restricted/suppressed, or are you sticking with outlawed?

-ArtificialGrape

19. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

Is there a person here who thinks the Supreme Court keeps God from hearing the silent prayer of his child?

20. dbcooper

dbcooper
    Expand Collapse

If we allow teachers to lead the class in prayer does the teacher get to decide which prayer? To which God? Can a wiccan teacher have the class participate in a ceremony to honor the Goddess? Does the Muslim teacher get to have his class bow to Mecca a few times a day? Can the parents be required to supply a prayer rug?