close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt vs BCM

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by AZ Cat, Sep 25, 2012.

1. AZ Cat

AZ Cat

Aug 14, 2010
    I've read a lot of good discussion here about the pros and cons of various manufactures, and I've narrowed my AR-15 choice down to Colt 6920 and BCM Mod 0.

I'll use this for non-competitve target shooting as well as varmint hunting.

GT members, what would your choice be and why?

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

2. Airhasz

Airhasz

Feb 26, 2012
    Bad Axe
    Personal preference...is the difference...

3. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Considering the choices that's the only difference.

The Colt may be easier to come by and more readily available. You may have to wait on the BCM.

I'd be 100% comfortable with either rifle as they are both high quality units.

:agree:

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    +1.........

5. I've got both... you can't go wrong with either one. As the others said, it's personal preference.

I went with a BCM4 for my work gun because I wanted the mid-length gas system w/ Larue Tactical free floating forend. Since I purchased the upper and lower separately, I only paid Federal Excise Tax on the lower (which had to be shipped to an FFL) and the upper was shipped to my residence. Nonetheless, I didn't save any money in the long run but I've got the carbine I really wanted.

6. AZ Cat

AZ Cat

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone!

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Both are solid.

For your purposes the midlength system on the BCM may be a little better, the carbine system is a little more abrupt.

8. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I can't tell a difference. I have a BCM 14.5" mid w/ Battlecomp, H buffer and a 14.5" BCM carbine w/ A2 and H-2 buffer and I honestly can't tell a difference.

I like the mid-length because of the 2" more rail space but other that, no difference.

I'm a Colt guy, but I run BCM uppers now because they had what I really wanted and I think the quality is the same.

9. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I have a Colt LE6920. I plan on buying BCM mid length upper just for fun later.

I'd be in AR15 heaven with either one but I got my Colt just because of sentimental reasons. (veteran)

10. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I'd be curious to see how it went if you put a BC and changed to a H in the carbine. More of an apples to apples comparison.

11. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    Colt will give you better brand recognition and higher resale, if that matters. BCM will be a little cheaper and have a better selection of options. In the unlikely event that you need warranty work, BCM will be quicker and more responsive.
    As stated, there is no wrong answer.

12. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    I tried out both when I first got the upper. It's not much different. I actually thought I had an H buffer in it until I popped the BCG out and realized it was an H2.

All I've shot was 55 grain 5.56.

13. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Feb 27, 2007
    Having experience with both, I would choose BCM.

Is a BCM set up like a Colt any better? No. However, BCM offers more options for barrel contour, length, furniture, etc.

Sure, you could modify your Colt, but it would end up costing more, and then in the end, you wouldn't have much of the Colt left.

I think most civilians (myself included) are better served with a mid-length gas system, and non-M4 profile barrel (let's face it, the barrel profile of a Colt 6920 is pointless for most practical purposes).

Price wise, they're about the same now. Pick whichever one suits you better and go with it. There is no wrong choice here.

14. TedG

TedG Infidel USA

That's basically what I did. I've owned a few of both and, as earlier stated, they're both fine quality and you can't go wrong with either.

15. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Kentucky
    Just picked up a 6920.

I plan on going with BCM when I do a MK12 SPR build...

16. jg420

jg420

Dec 17, 2007
    SE Texas

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2012
  17. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    It does not matter. Both use quality parts, built to the correct specs. No BS

18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    Wrong, try again. :dunno:

19. jg420

jg420

Dec 17, 2007
    SE Texas
    No such thing as a wrong opinion. I had a bad experience and got rid of mine for an LWRC custom build. No biggie they make great equipment, but my experience was sub par. To say I am wrong is just your opinion though. I just don't drink their Kool Aid, but more power to those who do.