close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt snub revolver find

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by kahrcarrier, Jan 29, 2012.

1. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    I ran across this little gem at the LGS a couple of weeks ago........

Colt Detective Special, never fired, with original box and paperwork. As new condition, nothing but a small turn line on the cylinder.

It was too sweet to leave, so I brought it home. It's never been shot or carried, but I intend to remedy that.
    Ordered a holster from TT Gunleather for it.

[​IMG]

2. Nice! If you dont mind wha tdid that run ya? Iknow Colts are fetching a premium it seems.

3. USDefender

USDefender Lay Them Waste!

Jul 8, 2005
    Saw a few nice Diamondbacks, and a couple of absolutely beautiful Pythons yesterday, at a gun show. Seems like revolvers --especially Colts-- are making somewhat of an 'just below the radar' comeback, lately.

'Retro class' makes me happy. :cool:

*Oh, conrgats on your find, 'KC.' :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    I see your snubbie sports Pachmayr Compac grips.
    I have over a half dozen grips and they are my favorite -
    [​IMG]

5. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    NICE. Guns like that need loving owners.

6. 4 glocks

4 glocks

Jun 29, 2010
    Sweet very nice. Just last night my GF and I were compairing the trigger pull on her S&W 442, my Charter Arms 1970's or 1980's not sure, and my 1985 Colt Agent. The Colt was hands down the smoothest by far. It put the S&W to shame.

7. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    The Python is my favorite revolver of all time. :cool:

[​IMG]

8. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

If you go by the growing interest I see on this, and other forums.......I'd say the "comeback" is getting a little hotter than some think it is.

My evidence? Prices on nice older used revolvers are going up, and up, and up!

Newly produced revolvers are what they are, and a lot of new gun owners just feel more comfortable with a revolver. (The following comment is for Berto, and Nestor: This is not to say that some very experienced gun owners don't prefer a revolver, but most do not. Just check on the poll thread at the top of the page to get an idea of how automatics are much more in demand, or "vogue", if you prefer! :supergrin:)

BTW: Kahrcarrier......That "new" Colt detective special is one terrific find, for sure! Congratulations on finding it before I did! :whistling:
    ooc

9. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

I never could figure out what made Colt just basically give up on making revolvers. They sure turned out some nice ones.

10. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    Sweet little gun. Congratulations!
    BTW I have no doubts that for the most people the auto is more popular choice.
    Never had. I also have no doubts that many people have no clue about what they really need and the buying decisions are made basing on what's in the store or what the cops or soldiers carry. It's not the rocket science to figure out what's in the gun shops those days. 95% are the autos. My first handgun - Glock 17. That's what I was told to buy as a newbie. However as the time flies some of us do realize that low drag high speed, lean and mean wheelgun is perfectly good gun for civilian SD :wavey:

11. true believer

true believer Moderator

Apr 17, 2000
    drexel hill pa
    agree 100%!!
    :cool:

12. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    What makes you think it hasn't been fired? Where do you think that turn line came from?

I've got two Dick Specials, one from 1977 I got with box and papers that has no turn line. The one I got about 10 days ago, a 1980 using a very bright light and 10x magnifier I can ascertain the slightest indication of a turn line. That's the one I carry now.

[​IMG]

'77 on top, '80 on the bottom...

[​IMG]

But that's a damn nice one you got! Enjoy it.

13. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN

I know the first owner reasonably well. He says he didn't shoot it, but yes, he could be lying.. He DID dry fire it. Hence, the turn line.

But thanks for the compliment!
    I like your specimens, too. Nice.

14. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
    It was a trade + a little cash. I have right at $400.00 in it. Don't know if that is a good deal, or a sucker deal, but I came away happy.

15. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Jan 8, 2004
    Southern IN
  16. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

One of my favorite guns is a Colt .41 Army Special I inherited. It's fun to shoot, but cartridges for it are pricey. It was my Dad's home defense gun for forty years.

But, all of those Detective Specials posted are sweet guns. I'd love to find one I could afford.

17. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK
    Congrats Kahrcarrier. The D frames are my favorite snubbies.

18. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    That's a very good deal and a wonderful revolver, enjoy it, for many years.