close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt or Les Baer?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bithabus, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bithabus

bithabus

Jul 6, 2008
    Austin TX
    Comparing Colt to Les Baer because I know Colt is the standard, and Les Baer has a reputation for making fantastic pistols (and I saw that Bud's is selling the LB for 1099). I don't have any ARs now but am planning to buy one soon. Those BCM midlength uppers look nice.

2. DarkBlade1000RR

DarkBlade1000RR

Dec 22, 2009
    I picked up a Les Baer Police from Buds a few weeks back...shoots great, no issues running all types of ammo brands through it.......boils down to personal preference...all I can say is that I do not regret going w/ the Les Baer.....

3. RS2

RS2

Jun 8, 2003
    Michigan
    That's a lie.

The castle nut is on right.

It's the carbine that's backwards.

Buy the Colt. Or BCM.

4. Well since it is my understanding that earlier this year or late last year it was confirmed that Colt does not have a single piece of machinery or equipment necessary to make in house any rifle components that there is no such thing as a Colt rifle. It's most likely a CMT rifle that is just assembled at the Colt plant. CMT is the primary provider for all AR manufacturers and the DOD for their components, they supply about 85-90% of the components used in all AR's. So it'd be a fair assessment to say a Colt is a CMT rifle with only the quad rail and chromed bcg distinguishing it from a Stag rifle which is entirely CMT. Most companies at the most only make their own lower receiver or maybe the barrel. Only a few of the more expensive custom shops actually build rifles. FNH has the M16 contract for DOD and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they used CMT also, just not practical for anyone other than custom shops to build a shop that produces all the components for the AR as they wouldn't be able to keep the costs down to compete the other companies just assembling theirs.

So the real question is do you want a Stag that is gouged at a 100% markup for a Colt stamp, or do you want a Les Baer which I believe is actually made custom in their own shop.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    Get the Colt. However, you'll do yourself a real disservice if you don't consider the BCM in the running. I have both and the BCM is made a little nicer while being just as tough.

6. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    For the hundredth time;

Lots of folks get their parts from CMT. There is a lot of ways the different companies order the part to be spec'd.

Case in point is RRA and Noveske. Noveske orders there BCG's shot peened, MPI'ed, and HPT'ed from CMT.
    RRA orders them in black.:rofl:

So just because CMT supplies two different companies does not mean the parts are the same from the two different companies. It is all how it is ordered and spec'ed.

For the record American Rifleman TV that aired 2-10-2010 shows them taking blanks and CNC'ing bolt carriers at the Colt factory. They make bolts, lowers, and some other parts too.
    I hardly doubt that they make the slings and plastic furniture.:whistling:

But the main point is all the parts (ones Colt makes and ones ordered by Colt spec's) are all spec'ed to a very HIGH degree. They gauge, mic, and inspect everything. There is a Goverment inspector always crawling all over the plant. If they find one thing wrong with one rifle then the whole lot gets side lined till the issue is sorted out and all the rifles are individually inspected.

Do you think RRA, DPMS, or especially Oly Arms goes to that lenght? Or should I say do you think they have a rep form Uncle Sugar crawling all over the plant just trying to find anything wrong? NOPE!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Feb 9, 2005
    Colt is definitely on the short list. No experience with Baer, but I can't say I'm a fan of many of the accessories he uses, especially given his rifles' prices.

8. Bigworm74

Bigworm74

Dec 5, 2009
    i thought the les baer police special was 1700 i looked at buds gunshop and couldnt find it

9. If you are going with those two options...go Baer.

10. markman

markman

Dec 30, 2004
    N. IL
  11. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    I'd go with Lewis Machine and Tool anyday over your choices. A real good company, Mike.

12. pierce195

pierce195

Feb 8, 2006
    New Castle, IN
    If you are down to those 2, I would say get the Colt. I put them on a very short list of top AR makers.

13. SVTNate

SVTNate Chargers fan

Sep 20, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    What more can be said? There are others worth consideration, but understand that Colt is considered one of the top few AR makers in the world by just about anyone who knows anything about AR's. Les Baer makes great 1911's, which they're well known for. AR's? I won't pretend to know anything about them, but I've never heard Baer mentioned in the same breath as Colt/LMT/BCM/Noveske when talking about the best AR's you can find.

14. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

Jan 25, 2005
    Do yourself a favor...

Go with the Colt LE6920.

1) Read up on what Mil-Spec actually is. Don't let some custom company BS you into thinking otherwise. Trust me, there is a method to the madness. Try switching bolts from a Baer to a DPMS or vice versa.

2) Look at who makes it. Not company wise rather, does this company actually have experience in the M4/AR field, you know, their guns actually being used in the "Field".

3) Reputation of a company.

4) Quality of manufacture. I.E. Colt has (As another poster stated) actual inspectors who gauge each and every lot of rifles. Does Baer?

5) Pocket book. What is the max cost you can handle.

Being a previous owner of a "Custom M4" from a pretty reputable manufacturer, I can tell you from past experience...It ain't worth sinking 1800 dollars into a rifle that doesn't run.

With that, I own Les Baer pistols. My PERSONAL OPINION...The custom 1911 guys should stick with just that, custom 1911s.

Just my ramblings.

15. Bigworm74

Bigworm74

Dec 5, 2009
    i want to know whats wrong with the les baer i want to know why its not worth it

16. Truckee

Truckee Aging Goat

Jul 17, 2005
    Shenandoah Valley
    It's not "cherry" faawrench, it's "red!:
    Colt gets another vote.

17. Colt, LMT, or BCM... If I was to get another complete rifle those would be on my list. (BCM uppers are stirring the kool-aid though)