Glock Talk banner

Colt Mfg. AR15 Front sight 'A' Frame w/Bayonet Lug

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  samuse 
#1 ·
Hi Fellas, I have a complete Colt HBar upper for a new build, however it comes without the bayonet lug. My OCD will not allow me to have an AR without it as I like my black rifles as close to military as possible. Does anyone know where I can find one that is politically incorrect? Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
The Colt mfg are hard to find and a lot of trouble to install. You can't just buy one and slip it on, because there's one chance in a million that the holes will line up properly with the barrel grooves.

If you buy an undrilled one (preferred), then you have to have it drilled to match your barrel. It must line up perfectly or your windage with be way off to one side or the other.

It seems the proper way is for the barrel and the front sight base to be machined together so everything lines up correctly.

I wanted to do the same thing you're trying to do.
I gave up and just bought a complete barrel, with bayonet lug from http://fidelisfirearms.com/ and installed it.

#3 · (Edited)
#5 ·
Well, currently LEO's are still able to possess weapons in the D.P.R.N.Y.!

#6 ·
The Colt mfg are hard to find and a lot of trouble to install. You can't just buy one and slip it on, because there's one chance in a million that the holes will line up properly with the barrel grooves.

If you buy an undrilled one (preferred), then you have to have it drilled to match your barrel. It must line up perfectly or your windage with be way off to one side or the other.

It seems the proper way is for the barrel and the front sight base to be machined together so everything lines up correctly.

I wanted to do the same thing you're trying to do.
I gave up and just bought a complete barrel, with bayonet lug from http://fidelisfirearms.com/ and installed it.

JBnTX, Wow, thanks for the intel! Sounds like I would have been chasing my tail on that project! Can I use any other gas block and forget about the A frame? maybe float the barrel or does nothing else fit easily on a Colt barrel? Thats a great avatar, I grew up watching movies like that!

#7 ·
Yes, you can remove the "a-frame" front sight base and replace it with a low profile gas block. Then you,could use a free float handguard and use a front sight on the rail.
A Colt HBAR profile required a .750" gas block. If you chose to go the low pro route, there are many gas blocks available, Troy, Daniel Defense, PRI, VLTOR, the list goes on and on.

#8 ·
Yep, I had this issue with an old AWB era Bushmaster barrel and I ended up ahead of the game money wise by ordering a new barrel with the FSB already installed and selling my old barrel on AR15.com Equipment Exchange. I think the new barrel was like $240 and I sold the old one for $125 or so. So it cost me ~$120 total. (I installed the barrel myself as I have the tools).

I think it would be kind of goofy to install a FSB with a bayonet lug with set screws. Its not going to be a functional bayonet lug meaning set screws really won't hold a FSB with a bayonet mounted if you really intend to actually stick something with it. I doubt it would make it through 10 minutes on a bayonet course.

YMMV

#9 ·
I think it would be kind of goofy to install a FSB with a bayonet lug with set screws. Its not going to be a functional bayonet lug meaning set screws really won't hold a FSB with a bayonet mounted if you really intend to actually stick something with it. I doubt it would make it through 10 minutes on a bayonet course.

YMMV
That is the way the FSB is mounted on the Army's SDM-R.

#11 · (Edited)
Ok. When was the last time they had the designated marksman run the bayonet course with his weapon?
Okay. What does that have to do with anything? You said it was goofy. I said (or implied) it was in use by the Army. Apparently, the Army doesn't think it is goofy. Your arguement makes as much sense as arguing about M4 cuts on barrels. How many people mounting M203's do you see posted on Glocktalk? From the OP's post, it seems to be just a minor cosmetic issue and I offered a solution. If the OP chimes in stating that he intends to run a bayonet course with it, then I'll retract my set screw suggestion. Other than that, have a nice day.

#13 ·
In with the buy a new barrel crowd.

You'll never get another FSB pinned on correctly.

I completely agree that looking right is plenty enough reason to replace a perfect barrel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.