close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

COLT Lowers?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by bigmoney890, Oct 29, 2012.

1. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

Why in the hell are these so hard to find? And when you do find them, why are they $500+? :dunno:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. skew12

skew12
    Expand Collapse

I believe people have started the pre-election run. Colt is a top notch manufacturer from what I've read.

3. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

I'm not buying that. There are plenty of lowers out there for it to not be driving the COLT lowers up that high.

Plus, i've been looking at some archived threads from the past few years for people looking for COLT lowers, and everyone says they are super expensive. The cheapest one I found was $499.00

4. skew12

skew12
    Expand Collapse

Well then I would have to guess that their production is slow. They primarily make em for Uncle Sam, so he gets his supply first.

Also I believe you pay more for a Colt because of the amount of quality control and testing done to the rifles that they let leave their house. If I depended on a rifle to bring me back to my bunk every day, then that would be a major factor for me.

5. Ruggles

Ruggles
    Expand Collapse

Cause they have that cute little pony on them, and nothing more. $500 for a lower is nuts who ever made it IMO, Colt quality is simply not that much better than the dozens and dozens of other brands of lowers out there.

Not to mention a lower is a hell of a lot harder to screw up than an upper IMO, pretty darn apples to apples when looking at lowers.

#5 Ruggles, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  6. ColdBlooded

ColdBlooded
    Expand Collapse

Clone builds. Every time someone puts a Colt lower up for sale, someone snatches it up for a clone build. If you just want a lower, there are plenty out there. If you want the Pony, expect to pay for it. The Colt lowers are no better or worse.

However, if you have a specific reason you wish for a Colt lower, such as a clone build, it is much easier to justify the higher price, than just wanting it to have it. I found it easier to justify the higher price of the lower, by just buying a 6920.

7. jb1911

jb1911
    Expand Collapse

I have a Colt lower that I paid $1000 for. The rest of an LE6920 came with it.

8. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

Well I found a pretty good deal on a 6920 upper and I was just looking around at the possibility of "building" a 6920. Obviously buying a 500-600 lower would make the price right at or higher than buying a "factory" 6920.

If I do decide to build with the 6920 upper, i'm just gonna slap a noveske lower (I like their rollmark) and a PSA Lower build kit on it, and call it a day. I Figure it'll be a lot cheaper than trying to buy/build a complete Colt.

9. themighty9mm

themighty9mm
    Expand Collapse

At the point of buying a noveske lower and a colt upper. Why not build something better than a 6920. I have 2 6920. They are great guns, no doubt. However, better can be had/made. At the point of putting the effort into making a 6920 clone that you are speaking of. Just build something even better.

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

You don't see Colt lowers for cheap because Colt doesn't sell separate lowers. They are all take-offs from complete Colt rifles.

Most lowers are functionally identical - buy the one with the markings you like best.

11. Stang_Man

Stang_Man
    Expand Collapse

I've read the 6920 is a great gun. This thread just solidifies it even more for me.

I'll use mine as a duty rifle, might be what I end up going with.

12. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

Well the 6920 upper is $600, then the chainsaw lower i'd get would be around $180 and then $100 for the build kit. Pretty hard to beat that gun for $880.

Even the low end BCM build would be $420 for the upper, $150 for the BCG, $300 for the lower, and then add in the handguards and you're right at the same price.

I could even go for a cheaper lower and put the price at around $800. Sure beats the ~1100 the factory 6920's are going for.

#12 bigmoney890, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  13. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

Ah, makes sense. Colt should start selling a "small quantity" of stripped lowers, and make a fortune selling them separately :rofl:

14. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Exactly, in fact the forging company that makes lower/upper receivers for Colt also produces them for quite a few other brand names.

There is a lot in a name. As long as you get a solid aluminum mil spec lower, none of that plastics BS, your good to go. The only real important parts of a AR are the bolt and the barrel.

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Quality parts,.......he'll a Colt LPK is nearly $300 alone!

16. samuse

samuse
    Expand Collapse

Colt stripped lowers don't sell all that well. The assembly is what makes a Colt better than the POS some arfcommer cobbled together in his kitchen.

Most people who want Colts, aren't buying them for the rollmarks.

It kinda like the "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" thing.

If you wanna save money, open a bank account, don't get involved with ARs!

17. Travclem

Travclem
    Expand Collapse
    Badass Member
    Lifetime Member

I agree. It seems that all of these "builds" that I have been seeing for sale will use a Noveske lower and DPMS LPK with a POS Olympic upper and a Truglo red dot. Then they advertise them as a Noveske and say the rest of the components in the fine print.

It's a lot safer to buy a Colt because there is a high chance that the parts in it are all Colt. This is a benefit of Colt not selling lowers to Jethro and Bubba.

#17 Travclem, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  18. jb1911

jb1911
    Expand Collapse

How is any lower better than a Colt lower?

19. bigmoney890

bigmoney890
    Expand Collapse

I think he was referring to a better gun overall, not a better lower.

20. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

Yeah and the funny thing is people will pay it because of the name.

Parts kits are parts kits, I doubt anyone could tell the difference between a DPMS kit and a DD kit.