close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt HBAR question?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by h&kbama, Jan 31, 2010.

1. h&kbama

h&kbama

Jan 28, 2005
    SE United States
    I recently acquired a used Colt Sporter Match HBAR 20" AR15, A2 configuration rifle. The cop I got it from treated it more like a tool than a fine firearm. Cosmetically it is a tad rough, but functionally it rocks! The portion of the barrel that extends past the front sight post, the front sight post, and bolt all have spot rust on them. None of it appears to be deep, and after close inspection I have not noticed any pitting (thank the Lord). Other than a nylon brush and solvent, does anyone out there have any suggestions on how to eliminate all of the surface rust without marring-up the finish? As always, any useful information is appreciated. Thanks. Yall stay safe.

2. JWP

JWP

Apr 4, 2001
    turpentine/0000 steel wool - rub lightly with saturated wool and the rust goes away while not harming the phosphate

i'd blue any shiny spots [not as good as park, but you gotta clean off all the old park to repark barrel which isn't cheap

3. h&kbama

h&kbama

Jan 28, 2005
    SE United States
    Thx for the info JWP. Where can I get 0000 steel wool? I once had some extremely fine steel wool (unknown degree), but I used all of it on other projects. I do have a friend who does an outstanding job on Duracoat. If in getting the rust off some finish comes with it, I'll just get my buddy to Duracoat the front sight post and barrel. It won't be original then, but it won't continue to rust either. Thx again yall.

4. You should be able to get 0000 wool from any building supply
    place or hardware store, perhaps even some auto supply stores.
    When you get the rust spots cleaned just keep a light coat
    of oil on them and even over the entire rifle from time to time
    until you decide to get the rifle refinished. The HBAR Colt is a
    fine weapon and should serve you well if taken care of. Enjoy.

5. h&kbama

h&kbama

Jan 28, 2005
    SE United States
    Thx Nutt51. I am gonna try the least brutal approach 1st (week long soak in break-free, followed by a good nylon brush). After several treatments if I still can't get it all off, I'll have a go at it with the 0000 steel wool and turpentine, prior to having the Duracoat applied. Be safe.