Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

  • Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt Frame needs work

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Jim S., Mar 5, 2011.

  1. I was recently given an older 1911 Colt Frame and Slide along with a bunch of parts.
    A friend had this as a "parts" gun and also a handfull of 1911 parts that he didn't want anymore.
    When I played with the frame and slide putting parts in that I had as spares I found that the frame feed ramp has been over bevelled and polished as the small gap that needs to exist between the barrel throat and the frame feed ramp is almost non existant.
    Does anyone know of any 1911 shops that can fix this?
    I would think it could be rewelded and machined back into spec.
    I have no money invested into this yet so the cost would be worth having a good frame again.
    If not I suppose it could be machined out for a ramped barrel.
    Either way I get a good Colt frame again.
    Anyone out there have any suggestions?
  2. 1006


    Aug 12, 2007
    Newnan, Georgia

    I would try it "as is first" -- the 45 is pretty forgiving. It may work with ball ammo. If not, I believe the normal fix involves recutting the frame ramp, then recutting the chamber end of the barrel, then reaming the chamber to the proper depth. I think that you could box the frame, slide and barrel up and ship to EGW for all the welding and machining. They used to advertise a very reasonable price to weld up a breech face and recut it for a different caliber. Either way, they might be a good choice for doing the work you may not be set up to do yourself.

    The ramped barrel idea also sounds good.

    Have fun with it--

  3. I googled 1911 pistol repairs and came up with quite a few gunsmiths who do this type of repairs.
    They reweld the frame and recut and polish the feed ramp for normally around a hundred bucks.
    I think that would be very much worth doing.
    I'll also have them cut the 250 radius for the grip safety and maybe undercut the trigger guard.
    This could be a frame and slide for a future custom project.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  4. up1911fan


    Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    EGW no longer doe's gunsmithing, I would send it to Jim Milks, he was the head gunsmith at EGW and has his own shop now, doe's great work.

    I just checked and it's $85 to weld up, recut and polish the feed ramp.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  5. Thanks, I will be contacting him tomorrow.
    Looked at his web site. Very promising.
  6. JBaird22


    Nov 18, 2005
    This is such a common problem, there is a part to fix it in the brownell's catalog. I would however send it to a qualified pistolsmith and let them sweat over it.

    Nothing better than free.
  7. up1911fan


    Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    The " part to fix it" is an EGW steel feed ramp insert, designed to be installed in aluminum frames. Not only is it not the right fix for this gun, it's also $55 more to have done than the proper fix.
  8. I tried to contact Jim Milks and his e-mail inbox is full and not accepting mail.
    I was gonna call him but missed the time due to work issues.
    I will try to call him tomorrow and I have several other smiths that will do this work also.
  9. I got a hold of Jim Milks today. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy. Very easy to talk to. He does this type of work so I will be sending him the frame and slide.
    Thanks for the heads up there "up1911fan".
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  10. JBaird22


    Nov 18, 2005
    I really hope you feel better about your post. Also, the OP never said what type of metal the frame was made from. Seems like you were assuming as much as I was.
  11. I saw the insert piece at Brownells. I actually thought of using it but I would send it to someone qualified to do this anyway.
    It is a carbon steel frame and slide.
    Mr. Milks said he would reweld it and them recut and polish the feed ramp.
    It will be repaired and eventually used for a future project.
    Thanks for the help guys.
  12. up1911fan


    Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    Thanks, I do feel better passing on the right information and helping the OP get in touch with someone qualified to correctly fix his problem. I wasn't assuming what type of metal the frame was made of, the OP was looking for someone to weld up and remachine the feedramp, you can't reweld an aluminum frame. So logically it was either CM or SS, both of which can be welded.

    Jim S., glad you were able to get ahold of Jim, he doe's great work and his pricing is more than fair, he'll do you right.
  13. I sent out the slide and frame to him today.
    I guess I will be starting a project when they come back.