close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt Double Eagle / Series 90

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by farkill, Apr 8, 2010.

1. farkill

farkill

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm curious if any of the 1911 crowd owns/shoots , or has owned one of colts Double Eagle pistols. They dont seem to be talked about much and it's not too often that one is seen for sale. So were they any good ? Do they have some sort of fatal flaw that relicates them to the has been shelf ? I'm not personally interested in owning one, I just find them to be a curiosity and was wondering what more knowledgable folks think about them.

2. paul45

paul45

Jul 18, 2004
    NC
    I have had 2 in the past, a Commander sized and an Officers, because they were cheap.

Shot flawlessly, the couple times I shot them....no hiccups on either.

I say the fatal flaw was that they could not escape the terminal FUGLY factor! Just plain ugly, that's all that was.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I like mine, but its quite a bit different from a 1911.

Quality is OK, but they were never overly popular. The barrel, magazine, and some other parts, are standard Colt 1911.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. farkill

farkill

Feb 24, 2010
    Yep, quite a bit different, but I didnt know where else to ask :embarassed: Great pictures by the way. I was just curious about them, ran across one on an auction site the other day and got to thinking about them again. I remember when they were introduced and hyped, "the safety and conveniance of a DA with the feel and reliabilty of a 1911" or something like that. But, it seemed like they kind of quietly faded into the dark.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, they didn't sell well.

I have mine for collection purposes only, though its a decent shooter.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
  7. hdbob

hdbob

Nov 8, 2009
    I have had 2..... I liked them, shot well.. would be a good piece to add to anyones collection. I just think back when they were made people werent ready for Double action 1911's..

8. Amend2

Amend2

Aug 1, 2008
    East Providence, RI
    I bought one of the Commander size Double Eagles about 15 years ago, when I needed something more modern than my Colt 1911 to use for CCW qualification. It does shoot well enough for that purpose, and it does see some CCW duty once in awhile.

9. farscott

farscott

Apr 6, 2003
    Athens, AL, USA
    I really like mine other than the issue that removing the right side grips causes springs and other small parts to become dislodged as that is where the action parts are. The MK II version corrected that issue. If the design would have been released with the MK II fixes and the trigger guard did not have the big Beretta "hook", I think the gun would have sold better. It just did not look enough like a 1911 for Colt fans to buy one, and the capacity was not enough to grab the "wondernine" crowd.

As it is, mine is a wonderful shooter that can use a lot of standard 1911 parts like sights, barrels, extractors, recoil springs, plugs, guides, and firing pin stops. The slide, frame, barrel, and slide stop are forged steel, and Colt did a great polish job on my sample. The trigger pull in DA is long but smooth, and the SA trigger pull, while not 1911 quality, is much better than the SIG P220.

The best part is one can be had for about half of what a stainless 1991A1 costs. Aftermarket grips are also available from VZ.