close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt Defender -vs- Glock

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Calico Hunter, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Calico Hunter

Calico Hunter Vietnam Vet

Jan 27, 2011
    Ohio - West Central
    I have a Glock 30SF, but I'm leaning toward replacing the Glock with the Colt Defender in .45 acp.

Any thoughts regarding the Colt vs Glock for concealed carry?

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Tough call,........I love 1911s but the G30 is my favorite Glock!

3. Vanman2004b

Vanman2004b

Mar 7, 2009
    This is the 1911 forum. Most will consider the Defender to be better for CCW. :supergrin:

4. Gunshine

Gunshine

Jan 3, 2011
    Florida
    I have been thinking about adding a defender for a while now. But some have said the recoil is severe. I own .45's and .40's including a 27 and the recoil doesn't bother me. Any feedback on Defender recoil? Oh and OP for what it's worth and from what I have read (no first hand experience) the Defender is a solid and reliable pistol.

5. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Jun 22, 2007
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I'd stay with the 30SF as long as the width isn't a problem.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Felt recoil of the G30 will be less, however, the Defender will carry a tad bit easier.

7. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    If the recoil of the 27 doesn't bother you, the Defender will be OK for you, is a great weapon for CCW

8. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    Defender or any 1911 is a LOT thinner than the Glock 30 for IWB CCW

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  9. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    Yep, I agree. That and i'm not a fan of short 1911's for reliability reasons.

10. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I agree. I don't have any issues with Officer sized 1911's for CC, as I own a few and have CC'd them all with 100% confidence.

11. Calico Hunter

Jan 27, 2011
    Ohio - West Central
    I appreciate the feedback. Excellent points have been raised. For me, recoil is always a considersation when thinking of firing 2 or 3 rounds at a Zombie in self defense. Staying on-target is vital.

I like the comparison of the Defender's recoil to the G27. Problem is, I've never fired a G27. I have the G22Gen4, and the G23C. The G23C is a bit larger than the Defender, and being compensated, I dought that it is a valid comparison.

Conceal ability is an issue since I'm not a large guy. Clearly, using an IWB holster, the Defender is easier to conceal than the G30.

12. TTM65

TTM65

Jul 5, 2006
    Central Florida
    I know this is GT but I do not like plastic guns. Yes I own 2 glocks but that is because a family member gave them to me when they retired from law enforcement.

13. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    A few months ago, I bought a new Defender. I got hit in the head with brass, so I sent it back; after a 10 weeks wait it was returned. It still hit me in the head with brass, so I called customer service. I was told that brass to the head was my fault, because I wasn't holding the pistol correctly. I explained that I'm not new to the 3'' compact aluminum 45 acp game, as I previously owned two Kimber Ultra Carry II and neither hit me in the head with brass. I ended up selling the pistol and resolved to not buy another Colt.

I subsequently got a Springfield EMP 40 and it's a great 3'' 1911 type pistol. Yea, it 40 not 45, but straight out of the box it fed, fired & ejected 250 rounds of hollow point (50 rounds each of four different make HP) 100% and it is way more pleasant to shoot than the 45 acp aluminum frame 3'' pistols I had.

14. HexHead

HexHead

Jul 16, 2009
    I had a New Agent, which is in the Series 90 Defender family. The recoil was very manageable when using standard pressure ammo. With 200gr +P, it was stout. Mine was as dependable as any of my Glocks, eating anything I fed it without issue.

My only complaint, and this applies to any of my 1911s, is that I have to wear an undershirt to prevent the cocked hammer from rubbing me when wearing it IWB. PITA in the summer. I eventually traded it in a deal for my G17, since I found myself switching to carrying my G26 more. Great pistol though.

15. Calico Hunter

Jan 27, 2011
    Ohio - West Central
    Life would sure be easier if I could find a Defender as a Range Gun. But, none to be found around here . . .

Having the brass "ping" ya in the head would certainly be a distraction I'd like to avoid.

16. DMAR

DMAR

Dec 15, 2011
    My Colt Defender is my primary carry gun. I find the recoil very reasonable, actually seems tamer than my Commander size Colt; it's fun to shoot. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but I do find the Defender easier to shoot than a compact .40.

I've had the Defender for several years, and have never had any type of malfunction, and it is very accurate. I'm not sure about other manufacturer's compact 1911, but the Colt Defenders have a good reputation for being reliable. Definitely a nice package; very concealable, good stopping power, great trigger, and accurate.

I'm relatively new to Glocks, but got in to them for the extra round capacity, and the feel of the Gen 4 to be a big improvement. Plus, zero issues with my Gen 4...! I carry the G19 a fair amount in the winter, and like it so much that I just bought a 26.

If I needed to chose one over the other, I would definitely chose a Defender over a G30SF. I think it is more concealable, better balanced, and a nicer shooting gun, but that's my opinion. You should try to rent one, or go shooting with someone that owns a Defender to try it out. I like carrying Glocks in 9mm, and (Colt) 1911s in .45. YMMV.

17. out of the box, Glock in subcompact form tend to be more reliable than a 3" 1911.

18. brisk21

brisk21

May 13, 2008
    Michigan
    For me, width is a problem. I would choose the defender for concealed carry. I found even the 26 to be too fat. Thats why I carry a single stack Walther PPS.

19. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    G30 is way too thick. If you like the Glock, the G36 is way better for carry. I don't know if I would want a Defender based on some issues some have been having. Other options would be a 4in 1911 with a compact frame or even a M&P 45 compact.