close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt Combat Elite vs Springer Loaded

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by I am plastic, Jan 12, 2010.

1. I am plastic

I am plastic

Jan 5, 2010
    They are comparable in price, which is better on the range?

Combat Elite vs Springfield Loaded

Purpose: Carry and Competition

Thanks for any information/insight

2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.

3. I would go with the Elite for two reasons:

1) Colt is the typical platform for custom builds if you decide to go that route later.

2) My old roommate had a Springer loaded that has issues with loading full mags. We tried several different magazines with the same results.

That being said, this was an isolated incident and definitely not true for all Springer loaded models on the market. I personally can't get past witnessing this issue, but there are plenty of owners out there that have had fabulous results from their loaded 1911's.

The two options you provided are great guns, the best of luck to you with your decision. :thumbsup:

4. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
  5. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
  6. chuckman

chuckman

Nov 9, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Although I generally pick SA over Colts (where you do pay for the name), in this case I'd go Colt over SA.

7. I am plastic

I am plastic

Jan 5, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Colt I was referring to.

I would have the front strap checkered and I like the fact that it's cut high already. (I have this on my Colt MKIV ser 80 .38 super.) In addition, a SA magwell will be replace the original. Maybe, a hard chrome finish on the frame, we'll see.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  8. For some reason I think the Combat Elite is also the best looking Colt 1911 out there. I also like the Gold Cup, but I think the Elite is by far the most attractive one of the bunch. :thumbsup:

9. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
  10. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
  11. Sig Fever

Sig Fever

May 7, 2004
    VA-USA
    I did! :supergrin:

I have owned both, and the Colt is by far nicer. IMHO

[​IMG]

12. I am plastic

I am plastic

Jan 5, 2010
    For all those that have the Colt Combat Elite:

How is the trigger? (I know when I bought the loaded Springer they say one thing 5-6 but it feels like 10.)
    How does it shoot? (Is it a good out of the box gun?)

Is is a keeper?

Thanks

13. Sig Fever

Sig Fever

May 7, 2004
    VA-USA
    The trigger is much lighter than my SA (PX9109LP) that I had. It is crisp and the pistol is very accurate. When I first shot it I found myself doing a couple of double-taps not expecting such a light trigger, I have been used to SiG and Glock triggers. I bought mine slightly used with approx 200 rounds through it. The only thing changed by the previous owner was to install an #18 spring.

Great firearm and the quality is definitely there.

14. BrthrB

BrthrB

Jan 18, 2006
    Western Wisconsin
    +1 on the Colt. I've had mine for several months and couldn't be more pleased.

15. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    That's the only Colt I've seen recently that looks like the grip safety fit the gun. Usually Colts around here in the "Loaded" price range have mil-spec sights and either a poorly fit beavertail or none at all. This may be the only time that I ever say this, but go with the Colt if you can get it for the price of the loaded SA.

16. I am plastic

I am plastic

Jan 5, 2010
    Does anyone have a picture of the Colt Combat Elite with the front strap checkered?

If I want, can I send it back to Colt for the checkering? (I didn't see any checkering on their new site.)

Or even a few targets from their range expedition?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  17. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY

The Springfield Custom Shop does top notch work at a very reasonable price.