close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt Combat Commander Pre 70 series any good?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by glock2740, Oct 27, 2010.

1. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    I was out prowling around today and ran across a Colt Commander that the guy behind the counter said was a pretty rare find. He said it was a pre 70 series(serial number was 70BSXXXXX). I don't know alot about Colt 1911's, but would be interested in a rare find. I can get it for $750 and it's in pretty good shape. It shows wear, but it's old and the insides look pretty good from what I could tell. The guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about...to a point, but you know how gun shop counter jockies can be, so I kinda took it with a grain of salt. He said he thought it was well worth twice what they were asking, and that he was thinking about buying it himself. If it's a rare find, that's one thing, but if it's just another old Colt 1911, then I'll let it sit there until a Colt junkie finds it. It's just been in there for a few weeks from what I heard. Thanks for any help.

2. I'd check it as close as I could. If it hasn't had someone gun plumbering on it $750 is a steal. This Colt is a steel frame and would be a great gun to send to a custom shop as a base for a dressed out carry gun.

3. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Thanks. If it was worth alot more than they were asking, I'd buy it and leave it as is, but that gun begs to be sent off to be tricked out. :cool:

4. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

Jan 16, 2008
    Florida
    Used Colts are all rare around my area for some reason. Any Colt Commander in decent shape would easily bring the asking price of $750.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Especially a 60's model.

6. Heck, all Colts are rare here, new and used...

7. rick7938

rick7938

Aug 2, 2010
    Eastern NC
    I think I will have to throw the "BS Flag" on this one. He doesn't know what he is talking about. I bought a new Colt Combat Commander in 1970 (SN: 70BS84XX). The "70BS" in the serial number stands for Series 70 Blue Steel vs "70LW" for the Light Weight alloy frame Commander.

I can't comment on the price, but I think the gunshop guy is blowing smoke.

Just my opinion.

8. Yeah, that is obviously a 70 series serial number. Still great guns, and, depending on condition, still potentially well worth that price, IMO.

9. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Mar 25, 2003
    Phoenix
    Is there such a thing as a Series 70 Commander?