close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt awarded 1911 contract for Marine Corps

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by mrsurfboard, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    What about the 4 that cracked before the 12k test was done? Thread over at M4Carbine.

2. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    $22.5 million for 4000 1911s?!?!

Why that's a mere $5,625 per handgun. Such a deal. Probably get a few extras thrown in to boot I hope...

3. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas

Wow that must include a cost structure outside of just the 1911s :dunno:

I am not a "fanboy" of any 1911 brand per say but I have to say

1911 + USMC + Colt = :supergrin: Just seems "right"

In my book

4. I would imagine that is with a lot of spare/ replacement parts and a couple of extra magazines.

1911 + USMC + Colt = Just seems "right"

Yep, seems like a good fit.

5. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012
    Kenai, Alaska
    Nice to see the US military buying from a US manufacturer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. if they would have done that last year it would have had added meaning:wavey:

7. Gotta be a misprint somewhere. In any case, it's great news...an iconic handgun back in the hands of the Marines!

8. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner

Feb 24, 2003
    North Carolina

Which part cracked...slide or frame?

If it was the frame, in the usual place...at the junction of the impact abutment and spring tunnel...it's neither here nor there. It's the result of thin cross-sections and sharp corners.

Those cracks are self-limiting and don't affect the function of the pistol in any way. I've got a pair of early 1991A1 Colts that I've used for range beaters for over 20 years. They're approaching 400,000 rounds about evenly split. They both cracked at that area somewhere around the 12-15k mark, and they're both still walkin' the walk. The cracks went to a point and stopped.

Everybody worries far too much over the frame and not enough about the slide. The slide/barrel assembly is the gun. The frame is essentially no more than the gun mount and a housing for the controls.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  9. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

The guns don't just show up.

New equipment comes with depot, armorer and user level training, an entire buttload of repair parts and often times, active participation in the fielding plan, travel expenses, man hours etc. I have not managed a weapons contract, but I would wager that half of the expense is for fielding, training, repair parts etc.

If you place a mil spec on say for instance the magazines, that can jack the price of a $25 mag to over $100. This may not be the case, I just wanted to point out the guns themselves do not cost $5k.

10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    I know, but G&A's article did not go into detail. I was just funnin' a little bit. However I can hear the public naysayers now what with the $$$ toilet seats, etc that Uncle Sam has bought in the past.

What did the FBI's SA Inc Pros run each tho? A few grand each if memory serves ($2.5K+), and not a production piece either.

I agree, US Marines + Colt 1911s = a Natural.

11. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    Ive been eyeing a rail gun.....looks like theyll be scarce for years now. Ah well at least the marines get a kickass pistol.

12. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Sep 6, 2001
    Wondering aloud... will the USMC Force Recon have Blackhawk SERPA hosters made 'specially for the rail gun M45 CQBP MEU(SOC)? Who makes Marine proof holsters anyway? DeSantis? Safariland?

Back on topic, while looking around for holsters etc, found this on MilitaryTimes

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/tag/usmc/

13. Rick C

Rick C affiant

Aug 1, 2001
    NW FL
  14. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    Why are they going with the 7 round mag instead of the 8 round?

15. Decguns

Decguns

Dec 29, 2003
    NC
    I guess they need 4000 45's to go along with the 75,000 M9A1s they ordered.

16. Or a 15 round mag? :)

17. 1911Tuner

1911Tuner

Feb 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Those slide cracks are bad news, especially the ones in the breechface. My guess is that they're over-hardened and brittle.

Of course, everything except the frame is considered an expendable service part...including the slide. That's why the US Army ordered about a dozen for every complete pistol delivered in both world wars.

18. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    where are all the 1911s from before the switch to Berettas ?