close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colt 38 Super goodness

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by FreeAmerican, Mar 2, 2010.

1. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

I have been wanting a 38 Super for some time now. I've never even shot one. But I've got 45 and 40 1911s already so I wanted the other classic 1911 cal.

So at this past weekend's gun show, I had a dealer set me back a couple of 38 Supers. They had one blued and one stainless gov. I looked them both over and the blued is nice, no cosmetic flaws I could find, but the rear lock-up had a little slop. The stainless was solid in all accounts. Finish and roll marks looked good, the trigger was good and the barrel lock up was solid. So I decided to get the stainless.

Why did I not get a 38 Super sooner and why is it not more popular. Accurate, hits hard, easy recoil. I know the new Colts headspace off the mouth and the older ones were hit and miss on accuracy. But why don't more people look to this round today.

I plan on getting some nicer stocks and I don't plan on changing anything else.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

We need a picture posted! :wavey:

3. drc767

drc767 Navy CSAR

.38 Super in a 5" 1911 is about as sweet a shooter as they get.....The round can be handloaded to some pretty impressive velocities, too.....approaching, but just shy of the hotter 357 Sig specs with 124g bullets.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

I'm going to post some pics when I get home.

There was recent article about how "Colt is back". I have a long love affair with Colt but I will also add in the last couple of months Ive bought a new Delta and this 38 Super both being recent production and both are top notch.

The same dealer had a Colt Rail gun. I almost jumped on that but I really do not have a need for a rail 1911. But then I don't have a "NEED" for a Super

Pics to follow!

5. Substance-P

Substance-P Member

I am interested in hearing your feedback once you put some more rounds downrange. I have been thinking about a 38 super myself as it seems to be a nice edition to any 1911 collection.

Congrats on the new acquisition.

6. CMG

CMG

Congrats on the new pistol!

Outside USPSA and IPSC, the .38 Super never was very popular. I started shooting it back in the early 80s. I also carried a LW Commander in .38S for about a decade, and watched ammo variety dwindle the whole time. These days if you find ammo, it is almost always the 130 FMJ loads, and FMJ just ain't sexy. :cool:

Most 1911 shooters prefer the .45, or if they are looking for something with more oomph, opt for the 10mm, but the .38 Super is a fine round!

7. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Yeah, I've only put a 100 rounds through so far. Both mags worked like a charm but I will still prob pick up a couple more. Any advice??? Stick with Colt, Wilson???

As for ammo, Corbon and Winchester are the only HP rounds I have seen so far.

8. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Excellent!

The .38 Super +P is a "super" shooting round in a 1911. I got a Performance Center last summer and enjoy it immensely. The caliber is somewhat unique commpared to most everything else, and no one else scrounges your brass. :supergrin:

Now you need to post pics. :)

9. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

I agree. The caliber is, for the most part, a "reloader's round." I reload 125 gr. FMJs so the cost is about the same as 9mm at ~$7.00 per box.

10. paul45

paul45

You think it is not popular just because YOU didn't have one? :rofl:

I have had several of them most of my adult life......

11. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Not really what I was saying. I had gone years without ever seeing a 38 Super in a gun shop.

12. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Here are the pics, sorry for the quality. It came with what you see in the box. A lock, papers, and 2 mags. Seems getting two mags is not as common as it used to be.

Im prob going to spring for some nicer grips though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. silversport

silversport

thatsa SO nice!
    Bill

14. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Aaaah, .38 Super pr0n...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I very much like the concept I just certainly don't need or want another caliber to reload for.

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Rinny, I thought about that and the part of your signature line: "...the sun is the same in a relative way but you’re older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death…"

Since I'm retired, 60, and have time on my hands, I figured I can deal with loading another caliber. :)

17. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

Since most of the recent barrels are .355 now anyway and I alread reload 9mm, and the Super makes good use of Power Pistol, Unique, Bullseye.... it is really not that much of a jump.

18. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Yup, not a big deal... :)

[​IMG]

19. FreeAmerican

FreeAmerican

I'll ask you if you don't mind. I ordered a bunch of 130 gr .356 bullets. But I was told the New Colt and some of the other barrels are cut .355. Even so most of the HP bullets I find are really 9mm .355 bullets.

Have you run into any problems running .355 in a .356 barrel or vice versa??

20. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Quite frankly, I've never tried swapping bullets in my reloads. Also, I'm not sure if 0.00005 (5/10,000ths) per side would make a difference.