close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Colt 1911

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ted1, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ted1

ted1

Apr 2, 2012
    Why can't I find a colt 1911 every lgs I go to tells me colt 1911's have to be special order. Well how do I know what I want to order if I can't see it or touch it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

2. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

I know what you mean. A fellow up in Shasta is selling off his gun collection. He has an 03 Springfield that looks good in the pictures he sent. I would like to buy it but hesitate spending that much money without being able to look it over in person. It's too far to drive just to look at it.
    As to the Colt 1911, I've never seen a new one that I wouldn't mind owning.

3. ted1

ted1

Apr 2, 2012
    Yeah I just think it is ridiculous for a gun store to expect you to pay that kind of cabbage for something you can't even look at. Its like saying you I'm going to sell you a new car but you don't get to pick the make model or color and no test drive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

4. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    Don't know where you are at, but try to find a better funshop. My local shop has a plethora of Wilson, Baer, Nighthawk, Brown, Springfield, and Colt 1911s in stock.

5. ted1

ted1

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm in houston tx there are only a couple I have not looked at that I know of but I will keep looking I assure you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

6. bigchuck83

bigchuck83

Nov 12, 2011
    Tulsa, Okla.
    can't seem to find them here, or they are overpriced. - you know a place is crazy when asking above MSRP. oh well someday a new colt will be mine.

7. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Jul 21, 2005
    At the beach
    My LGS has lots of 1911s on display. You could probably find lots in person at a gun show.

This was on display at the right time and came home with me:

[​IMG]

ps I added the grips. The synthetic ones felt like holding on to a cheese grater. Besides, I think these are prettier.

8. Joe Kidd

Joe Kidd

Oct 1, 2009
  9. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Lower cost high quality 1911's have greatly affected the availability of COLT 1911's. RIA, Springfield, etc., produce pistols that are force down the price of basic 1911 pistols. These pistols have great appeal to those who are not concerned with the history of COLT, etc.

The problem the poses for those who want to handle a handgun before purchase is the same for anyone who wants to purchase a particular revolver/handgun.

10. paul45

paul45

Jul 18, 2004
    NC
    Sorry ted...all of my local shops always have Colts in stock.

One, the other day, got around 8 or 9 Colts in.....on the same say!

sorry to rub in in.

11. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

My local shop has numerous ones in stock new and used.

Last time I was there he had a delta elite in the case

Find a better shop been dealing with mine for almost 30 years

12. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Apr 15, 2011
    Dover NH
    For a long time colt has treated the civilian gun market as a secondary. I hope they lose military contracts they may have to focus on making something for the civilian market again.

My dealer said he can get new agents, defenders, and the tiny ones like that easily, and govt style takes a long time.

13. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Lubbock, TX
    I recently aquired a TRP (center) and a Colt Combat Elite (top).
    [​IMG]

14. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Colt does nopt produce a great number of guns and they only have a limited number of distributers who will allot the guns based on whothehellknowswhat. If a LGS does not do a lot of business with one of these distributers, they are out of luck when they try to order a particular model.

Since there are more 1911s that have a higher profit margin, many dealers will not bother with Colt. Then they make up a story to explain why they have none.

15. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Jul 21, 2005
    At the beach
    Cool. Nice looking guns. My TRP has become my new favorite gun to shoot. I even carry it some but it is heavy. Most of the time I still carry my G23.

16. heliguy

heliguy

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Nobody wants to buy that ancient design since Glock came to market.....

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    The smaller gun shops can't get Colts because the bigger ones get dibs from the distributors.

18. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    The gun shop in my area gets them but the sporting goods stores don't. The Colt armorer instructors I have had said Colt's attitude is "we sell all the ones we make, why make more?"

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    Maybe that's how they got their quality control up from the last thirty years too. Stop pumping out junks by the thousands, but focus on making good ones.

20. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    After the last Colt 1911 I shot, two weeks ago, I'll stick to Kimber and Springfield.