close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Colorado Shootings

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by UneasyRider, Jul 20, 2012.

1. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

First off my prayers are with all of the people in that movie theatre and their friends and family and I hope that any discussion of what we could do in their situation reflects the respect for human life that we all share here.

So other than a concealed carry weapon and a really good head shot, what do you do if you are in the movie theatre?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. mac66

mac66
    Expand Collapse
    Huge Member
    Millennium Member

Movement tends to draw fire. Hiding in close proximity may get you discovered and shot. Trying to stay concealed might be the answer, or playing possum. Of course if the active shooter is roaming around you might get shot anyway. I think I'd rather die fighting than shot in the back running away.

3. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

First, get your family down. Then, get the shooter down.

To me, it's not only about not getting shot, although that's obviously right at the top of priorities. It's about two things; not getting killed, and stopping the killing. In an active-shooter situation, your odds of survival go way down if you have to wait for help, and in trying to stop the shooter you can't even take time to stop & help the injured; every few seconds the shooter goes unchecked is another victim, and that rate of carnage is intolerable if you have any say in the matter.

I have no illusions of being unstoppable, unbeatable or unkillable; but I personally feel a moral obligation to do what I can to protect innocent people. I know there's likely a lot of guys here who disagree - that it's all about survival, period - and more power to anyone who feels that way. I just feel differently.

4. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5
    Expand Collapse

This is exactly why I typically do not frequent places that carrying concealed is disallowed. You do not have a "say in the matter." You're forced into sheephood. I completely agree with your stance in this position..

1. Protect the family -- get them DOWN
    2. Take the guy out (if possible and without harming others)

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Totally situation dependent, as it always is. If I'm on the other side of the theater I'm getting my family out (and just because they leave the immediate vicinity doesn't mean they are automatically safe - what if multiple shooters? What if he/they pursue? Etc. So I'm sticking with them). If I'm right behind the shooter and he doesn't even see me coming he's getting a head shot point blank. Everything in between those two situations is up for grabs, depending on what is happening.

#5 cowboy1964, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  6. racerford

racerford
    Expand Collapse

There are 3 things you can do. You can run away, which might work as you are making distance that reduces his likelihood of hitting you.

You can stay where you are. This works only if the shooter runs out before he gets to your turn.

You can got to the shooter. You will likely get shot. However, it is not what they will expect. Remember it is not like the movies. Many people survive shootings or least survive for a while. Short of a CNS hit you will likely survive more than a few seconds, perhaps 30 or more. Of course if he hits a pelvic girdle or in some way incapacitates your ability to walk, you can likely close the distance and likely disrupt the shooting. Maybe enough of a distraction to allow others to escape of join in your failure to just die like a good victim.

The best option is to be armed. The hard part is how to make sure once you pull your gun that others don't think you are part of the bad guy crew. I hear this guy had a vest. That makes this tricky. I guess that is a good reason to train on the Mozambique drill.

7. Revvv

Revvv
    Expand Collapse

You have to remember that this idiot was in full riot gear and as bullet proof as he could get.

8. volsbear

volsbear
    Expand Collapse
    IWannaBeSedated
    Lifetime Member

Full riot gear. You have a lot of bad options. Everyone is confident enough to take the head shot until they're getting shot at by a guy in full gear.

Move. Gain distance and create angle. Use concealment. Don't freeze. Pray.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+
    Expand Collapse

Ignore posted idiotic signs which i do, sit in the back near the door. Run like hell, it's simple fight if you really have to, but running is alot easier particuarly if you have loved ones with you. Better to run and live than to try and be mr hero and die, leaving the ones that you love at the mercy of this world.

10. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

sounds like he walked past aisles of people laying down and keeping low. Those people closest to him might have been the safest since it sounds like he was only shooting those running, ironically.

Could have easily taken cover and with any luck could have possibly gotten some good chances to take some good shots I am guessing.

Who really knows though? Every shooting is different. Sometimes they have it all planned out with all kinds of precautions like this guy. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes there are multiple attackers. Sometimes it is just one guy.

11. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

Unless you have actually been under fire its harder than you think to position yourself with little to no cover, than add in others moving about in front of you and also having to protect your friends or family.

12. UneasyRider

UneasyRider
    Expand Collapse
    C.D.B.

I have to say that I am with Quake on this. My beliefs don't allow me to stand by and do nothing while this carnage is going on therefore I would have to do something no matter what it is.

I know what you are thinking, this is easy to say but tougher to do. Yes that is true but I pray every day to do God's will and do believe that there is no greater good that a man can do than to give his life for his fellow man and I hope to do that some day. I hope that I would try to save someone else by being armed and a good shot and under Gods influence.

13. blkpag1

blkpag1
    Expand Collapse

I tend to carry a Surefire flashlight with me at all times, I wonder if using a bright flashlight to distract or restrict night vision of the attacker would at least buy you or everyone else a little time to get out or get to some cover?

14. dissthis

dissthis
    Expand Collapse
    Gun Fan

agreed

Gotta do something...if your armed all the better...

15. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

Discussions like this remind me of Lord of the Flies, when the marooned boys decide their best option is to "make a radio."

16. LongGun1

LongGun1
    Expand Collapse
    StraightShooter

Basically....this..

..except going into it fully knowing I am at a great disadvantage..

..as I would likely have only a small CCW (laser sighted) & limited ammo..

..one or 2 Benchmade folders..

..& no body armor.

The little but powerful MTE C3-907 or more capable MTE (18650 powered) M2 would likely play into my response..

(normally EDC both)

..the strobe on both is very disorienting in the dark!

But I would do my best to make every shot count..

..or die trying..

#16 LongGun1, Jul 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney
    Expand Collapse

Shoot at the muzzle blast and shoot a little high and pray that you hit him with the first 14 rounds..then reload if he is not down and keep shooting. 357 or .40 minimum caliber. Those would be the basics.

18. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

If only they had the professor from Gilligan's Island.

19. dennis3dflyer

dennis3dflyer
    Expand Collapse

I Want This PISTOL! It would never leave my pocket:

I need a LCP size and weight pistol that shoots at least the 380 round or the 5.7 round w/ Armor Pierce Capability or 9mm.

It needs to be a good double to single action. Double Action to do a fast draw and close in shoot. Single Actionable/Hammer to if you have the time to cock and have lite crisp trigger to make a better distance head shot.

To do this in all conditions, outside/inside dark or lighted areas: It Must Have a Red Dot Sight about almost half the size of the current:

Trijicon RMR sight. and it Must have a Laser in GuideRod.

With this setup I think it would be the best small light carry Pocket do it all piece. and alot of head shot practice.

For In Waste Band Carry: Then a PPS or Glock 9 or 40 or FN 5.7 Pistol, with the current Trijicon RMR with Guide Rod Laser. and some small lite built into it.

This is what I wish a Company Would Make ( Pocket Gun ) with great durability and Reliability.

The Larger Guns already Exist with the RMR being installed in a custom situation. Or the New FN gun with RMR ready slide.

My Dream Gun.

Dennis

#19 dennis3dflyer, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  20. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

Tunnel vision.

IMO, something like this, you just have to fly by the seat of your pants. You can train all day long, but it never seems to be the same scenario you were training for.

Read the situation, make your decision, and when you act, it needs to be decisive, violent, and fast.