close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Collector/Sports car between 20 and 45K?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WEATHERBY460, Apr 27, 2013.

1. I just looked today at an overbored '79 MGB. I actually like the big RBB bumper. Alas I no longer bend to fit such a car. :crying:

2. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Sep 9, 2008
    Somewhere in the air.
    I'm very happy with my Honda S2000.

[​IMG]

3. kiole

kiole

Feb 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Lotus Elise I really want one, i hear its like driving a street legal go kart.

If your looking for a pure straight line fast car for a decent price an aftermarket super charger on a C6 corvette is hard to beat.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  4. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    If you are going to make a lifestyle/toy choice like this...before you do anything, why not find the car you are passionate about? (whatever that may be)

It sounds like you can see yourself doing this but dont know how. Spend some time developing the "how" before you spend the money.

Each car has its own flavor and attracts certain kinds of attention and opportunities. What do you want the car for? To enjoy weekend drives? To be a part of that kind of car club? To fix up? To race? To show off? To have something to look at in the garage?

For example, maybe you wont like Ferrari people. Maybe you wont like Muscle car people. (whatever kind of car people) Those considerations are important if you want the community benefits that come with owning a type of car.

Some cars draw a lot of negative/strange attention for the general public. People get @#%& strange and flat out ass holish when they see certain cars and rush to involved their opinions in your life. As an anecdote, it seems that older cars draw less of this and newer sports type cars draw more of this...and cheaper, older high end brand name cars draw the most negative attention....like the cheap older Ferrari, it seems like people are on a mission to insert their opinions of your "wannabe" status...even if they have never even sat in a Ferrari.

Dont just pick a car, decide on what you want from a car and/or what car you are passionate about.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  5. 3glkdog

3glkdog

Jun 1, 2006
    LV, NV
    To change a belt on my Testarossa was $8000.00, luckily the previous owner had it done before he sold me the car. I heard that it could cost up to $11,000. They have to remove the engine to change the belt.

6. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    I chronicled my experience with the one I had on here many moons ago.

The Elise is a neat car and fairly affordable on the used market....just know, it is small and rough. That can get old if you want to drive the thing. Also know, if you are used to something powerful (be that a Vette or the like) the Elise will seem disapointing. It may be "quick" to some...but it isnt.

I am of the opinion, if you are not wealthy but have a few bucks for a fun toy, used Corvettes are pretty much the best value choice. If you want to really get some horsepower, yep, Used Corvettes are the value choice again.

You wont have a lot of exclusivity in a Corvette and you will be sitting at every third stop light looking over to see a doctors wife or a middle aged CPA in one, but for fun to value, they are hard to beat.

7. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    $20k to $45k and collectible/sporty weekend only driver is too broad. You could get anything from a new Boss Mustang to an unrestored older Lamborghini or Ferrari...

However, since you specifically mentioned the Corvette, Camaro, and Shelby...

My local Ford dealer has a mint 2008 Shelby GT500 w/ 6k miles on it for $45k...

[​IMG]

If you are trending towards the Mustang/Camaro genre and want something that is unique and will be collectible and sought after for generations, then I would look at the Bullitt Edition and Boss Mustangs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gatorboy

gatorboy

Jul 26, 2001
    It's pretty nice
    Definately. It's 1,600#, that's why it's "quick" and they do handle great. Not a good choice for a 300# guy that has his 130# wife along often. It's best for smaller/lighter people who's weight won't take 1/2 second or more off it's 0-60. A vette would definately track better on longer drives.

9. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    The main problem with Shelbys and Corvettes, and mustangs, Camaros, and challengers is that when you take your Sunday drive in your collectible car, you will see another car almost like the one you are driving...

Here in AZ, you can't throw a rock without hitting a corvette. At least once a month, I see a line of them going down the highway on a weekend fun cruise...

Now, if you want to be a little more exclusive yet still drive something that is fairly reliable and will draw thumbs-up every time you drive it, then perhaps an older classic American two-seater like an older T-Bird or Studebaker Golden Hawk...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Taphius

Taphius

Sep 26, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Restore a 240z chassis and drop a big block in it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

11. xRUSTYx

xRUSTYx 9mm Fanboy

Jan 26, 2013
    Deep South
    I'm a Mopar fan ... I vote for an SRT10 Viper. This is mine, and it just so happens to be for sale ;)

[​IMG]

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Dec 28, 2001
    Happily in So. Cal.
    Do I understand the OP correctly, he wants us to pick out something he can be passionate about?

Has America sunk that low?

13. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    While I dont see it as any statement on America or even the OP....yes, I agree that is his question.

14. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    I agree it is highly subjective...

I am passionate about some very odd vehicles that not many people admire...

If I see one of these on the road, it makes my heart palpitate and brings a smile to my face...

1970 Torino GT, 1968 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser, and 1966 F100...

15. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

Feb 3, 2009
    Illinois
    We are going through this same thought process. Looking at retirement with house in Fl. Would be fun to have a "fun" car.

I think it needs to be rag top. I am thinking older muscle car. Sports car would be cool, but I am not small and also cost of maintenance.

Spend a lot of time watching Mecum. There are a lot of "drivers" in the 20-40k range.

16. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Mar 10, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I've been waiting for someone to call me on the 'front motor' description on the 308 Dino. Guess they aint gonna.

Here is the Lamborghini that can be had for the low end of that price range.

Attached Files:

17. Rabbi

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    I actually had to google it when you said it was a 4 seater....I cant remember the last time I saw one and for a second I thought....no way that thing is a four seater. Of course it is. I forgot all about the Mondial being the replacement for that Fiat... :supergrin:

18. John_NJ

John_NJ

Jan 15, 2013
    NJ
    20-45K is a pretty wide range. Lot's to be had for that kind of money. If looking at late model domestic, I would go with a Boss Mustang. Outstanding handling and plenty of power. The GT500 is overkill in my opinion. Also a newer C6 Corvette can be had for that kind of money.

If looking foreign, I've always been interested in a V10 powered BMW M5. Also a Jaguar XKR is something that has classic good looks. Both of these have plenty of power.

Happy shopping!

19. gatorboy

gatorboy

Jul 26, 2001
    It's pretty nice

What's your favorite color? I'm looking for mine, wanted some input.

Just kidding. I'm sure the guy know's what he like's and is asking for the one's he's overlooked and asking those who may have experience with them. I ASSume. :cool:

20. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse