close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Collecting brass at the indoor range

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Thumpernator, Jan 7, 2012.

1. How do you guys handle the situation where you and another shooter (complete stranger) are trying to collect your respective brass and you're both shooting the same caliber?

2. MightyTygart

MightyTygart

Oct 25, 2010
    ky
    Be cordial and come to an understanding. This is assuming that said individual can be reasonable.

3. TX Archer

TX Archer

Jun 4, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I have only had one experience like this. Two guys were shooting from the same stall and much of our brass ended up in the same place. They obviously knew that they were getting much of mine and kicking it into their stall. I figured that it wasn't worth causing tension in order to save maybe a dollar's worth in brass. Since I was shooting a Glock and they weren't, the primers made it obvious which came from which gun so I made it clear I was checking and throwing theirs in their direction but keeping mine.

I might have become tense a few years ago but there are bigger things for me to worry about than something that small. If they felt they hit the lotto, I'm glad it made their day better.

4. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    Same manufacture, too? If not, the headstamp can be used to determine the rightful owner. That is, if both parties are honest.

5. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    More often than not, my problem is that people sweep up my brass and toss it. If I can dig it out of the bin on the way out, that's what I do; if not, I let the situation go... I wont let losing 100-200 brass ruin a nice day at the range.

thorn

6. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    A lot of people mark the case heads with a Sharpie. Some use a straight line, some use an X or a Y, some use red, some use black. What you have to decide is whether recovering your brass is worth the time to mark it.

The other good reason for marking brass is to avoid picking up .45 ACP with small primers or 9mm with crimped primers. If you only pick up your own brass, you don't need to sort it.

Richard

7. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Montanuh
  8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I've been picking up a lot of small primer .45 ACP lately. Very annoying.

9. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    It is annoying on my 550 but it is a huge PITA on my 1050 because the swage punch won't go into the pocket and the handle can't be fully lowered. Consequently, the case at station 1 may not get fully resized and the case at station 3 might not get the primer fully seated. It's a mess.

I try to pick up just my own brass but when I buy once-fired, I have to go through it very carefully. Even then, I miss a few; perhaps 4 out of the last 1000 have been small primer.

I just bought a box of Federal Champion in .45 ACP for my wife to shoot in my P220. She has only shot my reloads and I wanted her to see what factory ammo felt like (such as it is). What CRAP! The case head is concave (instead of flat) and it uses small primers. I'll have to watch where each case goes so I can keep them out of my stock. What a PITA!

And here I thought Blazer was all I had to worry about!

Richard

10. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    I don't tumble my brass. Dirty brass is very easy to discern from shiney brass.

11. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    If your brass is hitting the ground you're not closing the cylinder all the way.

Silly flatlanders.

Jack

12. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    I mark all my brass with an x. One side red one side black.

13. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Good call. Most guys are pretty good sports about it as long as they don't think they are getting ripped off.

I did have a situation at an IDPA club match. Our matches are not lost brass so the squad each pitches in to tape targets and pickup the prior shooter's brass. I noticed that I was getting a minimal amount of brass back. Most was disappearing. I was the only person in my squad shooting 10mm so it was obvious that it was my brass. Then I noticed that one of the guys was just picking up my brass and putting it in his bag.

I casually asked him about it. He said that he doesn't load 10mm, but went on to explain the virtues of picking up whatever brass for trades, etc and was pretty jazzed to be finding all of this 10mm stuff. It took nearly 5 minutes to convince the idiot that it was my brass and that I would appreciate it if he would not follow me around and collect my brass.

He seemed confusesd about what I was asking. So I had to get blunt: "That 10mm brass in your bag is mine, and I want it back." He seemed a bit put off, because he thought he had found it fair and square. Knob. He did eventually capitulate and gave my dozens of rounds back while acting quite put out. Thankfully I only saw him the one time.

Usually though, guys are pretty agreeable if those involved are acting with an attitude of fairness.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  14. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
    The indoor range in my area doesn't allow people to pick up any brass past the firing line, even if there is noone else using the range at the time.
    They like to keep it for themselves.
    The outdoor range here is a treasure trove of once fired brass for the taking though.

15. snowwdog

snowwdog snowwdog

Nov 30, 2011
    georgia

:rofl:

16. JBnTX

JBnTX Texas

Aug 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ain't that the truth?:steamed:

17. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    If your ammo starts out in any sort of box that sits the cartridges nose down, it's really easy to run a sharpie over the case heads/primers, and that mark will survive firing (and even tumbling to some degree). If all your brass has a black/red/whatever sharpie stripe across the headstamp, it should be pretty simple to sort out.

18. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    northwest
    Isn't this how most Koski family get togethers end?

19. Steve Koski

Steve Koski Got Insurance? Millennium Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Montanuh
    Word: The cops hate it when you ask them to separate your .40 from the next guy's .40.

20. meleors

meleors Cranky Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Here
    Let me ask you think: Is it worth arguing with a man who is armed with a weapon, over a little brass?